Whatever happened to Vanessa-Mae?

This is the main lobby for Vanessa-Mae related discussions.

Moderator: zeta

Arioch
**VMF Guru**

Post by Arioch »

We blamed EMI!

We blamed Sony!

Whatever happened to the world tour?

Was Vanessa's tour only certain parts of Europe and Asia?
It is rapidly approaching 1 year since the release of the CD
and by the time that Vanessa decides to continue the tour
Choreography will long be forgotten.
I think that her fans in North and South America are giving
up on a CD release never mind a US tour?
I have said it time and time again Vanessa needs to get her
act together, Once again she has let many of her fans down
world wide..

the bigest sign that fans are deserting her are here and also
on the official board, these boards used to be bustling with
activity now the only activity is signs of deserting fans!

I think for our next birthday project we should send Vanessa
a letter explaining this to her?
She needs her mother back to show her how to run a business!
-----Arioch------
(Lord of Chaos)
------Image-----
www.vanessa-mae.co.uk
bijsterg
Veteran

Post by bijsterg »

I go along with you for a big part of your complaint. I agree with you that she is loosing fans because she does not shows any interest in them anymore, by giving concerts. That is killing for the relation with old fans and a forum! New concerts in the different countries could renew the relationship again. However, we can't force her!
Gerrit (bijsterg)
foreverred

Post by foreverred »

I agree! When Pamela managed VM, she was playing/touring a heck of a lot more. I saw her twice here in the states around the release of The Violin Player and Storm. No major US dates (if any) since then, especially from "Tour for Change" or "Choreography", which is all AWESOME music.

A reason for this - speculation - may be that Vanessa-Mae is happier being a localized recording/performing artist or that she has found happiness in "nesting" with her boyfriend. Who knows.

I would like to see her live again, she is such a huge motivation for getting my live project off the ground.

-Omar
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

I understand the frustration very well. I too have no no idea why Vanessa-Mae did only 3 concerts in the UK so far (2 in London and Henley-On-Thames last month).

We must not forget that Vanessa-Mae had good reasons to split professionally form her mother. She definitely invests in her owm personal life with Lionel. I think that is very wise and we have to respect her choices. She will have her reasons for doing her career as she does it now.

We can ask about this in this years bday project.

I jsut hope people do not run out of her and out of this forum. If anyone does, that is of course a legitimate choice.

I still expect additional concerts in the UK this autumn. Also, Sony announced the USA release of 'Choreography' for April this year. It is not uncommon that release dates are postponed. In the worst case, Sony skips the release because they see no commercial prospects for the album, or perhaps because Vanessa-Mae doesn't want to make a clear commitment to do supportive promotion by visiting the USA.
Atreides
Veteran

Post by Atreides »

As I read this I received yet another email from amazon telling me they are delaying my choreography CD import by yet another 4 to 6 weeks. :lol: This is unbelivable.

I must admit i have lost aloth of interest in her and her music over the last year. The main reasons are the constant delays and push back, the lack of new material, the lack of information or apparant planning about concerts.

Lets not kid ourselfs, as a violinist she is not extraordinary. The wonder kid had not fully developped. Dont get me wrong, she is a very good violinist, she just does not make the cut as a top player. She cannot compete with the current classical masters. What made her great was the style and approch she took to music. In the past her main apeal was how dynamic and daring she was in her music, concerts and her personality. Her personality seems to have toned down, her new musical style seems to reflect that reality. As for her concerts and public relations ... well ... they are some what non existants ... so seems to be her career planning ...

I dont know where she wants to go with her career ... but by the look of it she is scaling down aloth and might very well slip into oblivion except for the occasional low scale cd release.

Bottom line is .... no mather what we think or want ... she will do, or should do, what ever make her happy...

Atre.
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

Atreides, maybe you've lost most of your interest in Vanessa-Mae and her music simply because your preferences have changed in descovering new musicians and new music??

Vanessa-Mae toured over the world over and over again the past 10-12 years and by that losing many aspects of her youth and contacts with contemporaries in persuing her musical career and giving hudreds of concerts on all continents, not taken into account the many hours of practising each day from her early childhood aged only four! With this all, she managed to remain a qiute normal person and she succeeded in developing her own private life and a solid relationship with another adult. How easy could she have fallen into drugs or alcohol abuse. Vanessa-Mae made her choices and she is entitled to that.

I think she deserves our repsect and credits for this, despite all the legitimate disappointments that some of us feel. At least, I admire her tremendously for all her achievements and for just being the person she is.

I think any comparison of Vanessa-Mae with other violinists is unrealistic, even unfair. Vanessa-Mae developed her own style and she is unique in that. Several other violinsits like Kennedy, Maxim Verengov and Anne Sophie Mutter are unique too with a recognisable sound of their own.

But our Vanessa-Mae is unique in that she is creative herself in making new music in her own unique style with her own unique personality.

There are several other artists that I admire and who I would love to see live in concert one day. Some of these musicians didn't release any new material for several years, but still I love to listen to their music and admire them for that. Typically, harpist Andreas Vollenweider released a new album last 2004, his first one in about 6-7 years. The past 20 years, he visited my country only 2 or maybe 3 times (this third concert somewhere en 80's was skipped accoring to my recollection??) Yet, I will never cease to love his music. I am definitely anxiously awaiting to see hiom in concert again one day.
Last edited by Xanthippe on Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
BrightStrings

Post by BrightStrings »

There was no promotion or TV commercial here before her concert.
eva03
VMF Elite

Post by eva03 »

Dont blame Vanessa-Mae or Sony for not coming to your country. Contact any entertainment group, agency or sponsor to book Vanessa-Mae for a concert.
Ana

Post by Ana »

Well, i think Vanessa is a very hard-working person and we should respect that she wants a little free time for herself. She isn't just a public person, but also somebody who has a private life! Anyway, i hope to see her coming back for a concert in Poland someday...
foreverred

Post by foreverred »

There is another artist that comes to mind when I think of this situation, and that would be Yanni, the Greek-born adult contemporary (new age) keyboardist/composer/orchestra leader.

His worldwide smash debut Live at the Acropolis (with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra out of London) hurled him into fame all over and he began touring non stop in 1994 with his own band and symphony orchestra - this tour ended in late 1995 and he only had a little over a year to finish the work on the new compositions for his upcoming live album, Tribute, which was released in 1997 and followed by an even larger world tour than Acropolis.

Traveling is quite hard for someone like him, as he went on a five year hiatus from touring after the Tribute 1998 tour ended. I toured with the Dreamsound Orchestra from 1998 to 2001, and it wasn't as large a scale of a tour as Yanni or VM's efforts.

However, I do know that traveling and dedicating 200% of your free time and life away from your family to your work, even music, can take its toll on someone.

Perhaps after that whirlwind of tours (Red Hot and Storm), VM decided that such a large scale undertaking wasn't really for her (or at least, she felt she wanted to wait a little more and enjoy her youth and then start up again when she was good and ready).

Vanessa-Mae is still admired by many across the globe. She knows what is best for her. If she doesn't look out for herself, she will overspend herself and burn out completely, and no one wants that.

-Omar
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

Omar, I fully agree with you. Vanessa-Mae herself knows what is gopod for her. We should trust her and believe in her!
hehuiyong

Post by hehuiyong »

i really forget how long vanessa-mae hasnt been to main land of china.
it is really a long time since her new album but not have seen vanessa-mae come. Maybe in china fans are not so much, but all fans around the world should be remembered.
vanessa-mae know what to do. Yes , sometimes she should drop some, and get some. Vanessa-mae's place is in europe and some parts of asia, but not china, i dont konw why. how miss her.
but have nothing to do, just wait, anyway, fans are fans, will always stay
there , for long.
all good luck VM
aukoli

Post by aukoli »

My opinion is that Vanessa-Mae just grew tired of her lifestyle. There IS very much a market for classical artists. So that excuse is ridiculous. I just believe she got lazy and decided to tone it down.

And yeah, I agree, she needs her mom back.
foreverred

Post by foreverred »

To expand on my earlier possible explanation - someone as young as Vanessa-Mae being thrown into the limelight and fast-paced lifestyle (she became professional at 11 or 12, she said in an interview) can burn out easily while doing this at such a young age. Sure, music is her passion, but this kind of lifestyle in a tough industry can age someone very quickly, which is why she comes across as quite mature for her age. She and I are the same age (by a few months) and it's just astounding how ladylike and regal she is. She needed the rest, and it's time for her to enjoy her youth while she still can.
wylde8

Post by wylde8 »

I think she's just gotten lazy. She has no need to do anything. She's made more money than she knows what to do with. She owns a mansion and a couple decent cars. She can afford to go on vacation all the time. Why work? Her mother isn't there to get her in gear anymore. I'd be surprised if her boyfriend pushed her to do anything. That would only mean time away from him. She's tasted enough success that she's lost the fire and drive that got her where she's at. Yes, she still has the love of her music, but love and ambition are two very different things.

Brett