Whatever happened to Vanessa-Mae?

This is the main lobby for Vanessa-Mae related discussions.

Moderator: zeta

Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

I really consider it as unfair to call Vanessa-Mae lazy. We have no clue what she is doing all day and with what she is busy at the moment and it is therefore noy right to use such terms.

I definitely admire Vanessa-Mae for the way she has handled and still handles the presure imposed on her from a very young age till now. Many people would have a mind collapse because of that.

We were all so happy for her when she broke away from her mother as manager. It is not healthy to have parents run your business once your an adult. I guess no one of us would accept our mothers running your affairs. Why then suggest that to Vanessa-Mae??

Vanessa-Mae decided to manage her own career instead of appointing a new professional manger. That is her choice: we should be happy for her as long she is happy with this situation.

We are her fans and we should support her.

It is natural that fans are disappointed whn you have no opportunity to see your idol live in concert. I have been very fortunate to have seen her twice duirng the 'Choreography' tour already. I realise that very well!
hehuiyong

Post by hehuiyong »

well, i think everyone has his/her right to choose his/her own life.
we do not know what vanessa-mae is doing now, and what i mean is that this is all none of our bussiness. we love vanessa-mae , hope she could be "vanessa-mae" all the time!
we stay here for vaenssa-mae, because we think she is part of life, and we learn from her how to make our own life more successful ! i think no one want to be a fan of a failer !
and as people mentions "could not see vanessa-mae", we do not know why. and we hope she is all right. if she do not play music, i would be her fan all the time.
yes, vanessa-mae lose her young time to be successful. but that should not be an excuse of enjoying life using more time. you have to lose something if you want to be successful !
in a word, hope vanessa-mae remember she is "vanessa-mae"!
all people love her, because all people believe she is not so third-class
foreverred

Post by foreverred »

Even if Vanessa-Mae decides to take an extended sabbatical from the world stage, even if not permanent, let's remember that there is a new generation of wonderful young female violinists (don't forget us boys too) who are taking the stage - and no, I'm not talking about BOND or WILD.

Vanessa-Mae's talent exceeds the need to be in a quartet, quintet, or group of scantily-clad girls with "rocker" looks. She's become more original in the past several years, writing her own material and developing her own look and sound.

Here are a couple of very talented young ladies who are possible successors to her legacy should VM decide to localize her fame and performances to the UK, opening the door for other world talents...

Lucia Micarelli - she toured with the Trans Siberian Orchestra, Josh Groban, now touring with Michael Ball, also an accomplished solo artist - www.luciamicarelli.com

Jenny Bae - featured with Zucchero, Andrea Bocelli, and Peter Maffay - www.jennybae.com

Vanessa-Mae can NEVER EVER EVER be replaced, especially for what she has done for the classical crossover community. But let's face it, the world screams for the next sensational violin goddess.
arup75
Veteran

Post by arup75 »

I can only say, I respect the thing VM does and how she does.... Only she knows what's good for her, so if she think that she must do something or not..... R-spect that...

I hope on day she come to the netherlands but till then we only can wait and see...
-ThIs MeSsAgE WaS PoStEd By:-

...ArUp, ThE OnE ThAt AlWaYs MaKeS YoU HaPpY...
wylde8

Post by wylde8 »

Calling Vanessa Mae lazy is not an insult, its just an observation that some of us have had. Certainly not everyone will agree with me about this, but most of us don't care about her personal life. We are fans of hers because we love her music, not because of the way she conducts herself offstage.

Whether she likes it or not, what she does is a business. People pay to see her perform and to buy her albums. If she chooses to ignore that, her fan base will deteriorate. Case in point: Guns n' Roses. They haven't come out with a studio album in 14 years. Last time they did they were one of the biggest bands in the world. Now almost no one cares. Sure, people love their old stuff, but they aren't relevant anymore. On the other hand, take a band like Linkin Park. In 2002, they had the highest selling album of the year, Hybrid Theory. Still, they also performed more concerts that year than any other musician. They performed like 312 concerts in one year! They showed that you can't rest on your laurels.

If VM wants to keep her fans, she's going to need to do more than she is currently. She's had plenty of time off since she fired her mother as manager. However, if she want to continue her limited touring schedule and album releases, she has that right too. But she must realize that doing so will drive many fans away.

Brett
bijsterg
Veteran

Post by bijsterg »

You can say a lot about our Vanessa, but not that she is lazy! Think about the many hours of composing and practicing to get a new album. So, I don't think that this is the cause that she limited the amount of concerts. I wish we could ask her!
Gerrit (bijsterg)
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

It is not a matter of insulting Vanessa-Mae: all I was saying is that we do not know what she is doing all day, so we simple can not draw the conclusion that she is lazy: that is my only point.

I agree fully, some fans will leave any artist if this artist is not in publicity for some time with concerts, new project, with whatever! The longer such a period lasts, the greater the risc is of loosing part of your fan base. That is absolutely true

But being out of publicity is not the same as being lazy, I guess: at least not in my definition.

We all choose our own level of being a fan, and participating in this community.

Anyone who is disappointed can leave or become silent, even join again if Vanessa-Mae's activities answers your expectations and demands.

We all have our own free choice.
bijsterg
Veteran

Post by bijsterg »

Rijko,
You are already a senior member for a long time, and you have seen members come and go. But don't take it to personal if others react slightly different from your opinion. I also gave my opinion a few times, mostly because I want to help to keep this forum alive! It's good if members talk about Vanessa. You must start to worry as soon as they don't talk about her anymore!

Lets hope that Vanessa reads this topic. A DVD with the highlights of the past would also be very nice.
Gerrit (bijsterg)
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

Yeah, at least people are interested enough to write down their worries and disappointments in this forum. It is good that it brings some activity and life again here.

I am pleased to read comments of a few other members expressing their support for Vanessa-Mae and accepting her choices.

I conclude from the reviews on Vanessa-Mae's concerts this year that the shows were sold out in general. That shows that there is still a lot of people who are interested in hearing and seeing her live and who are enjoying her music.

That is very positive.

Vanessa-Mae hasn't been in my country for a concert or television show since her 'Storm On World' concert in June 1998. Still I am sure that a concert here would be sold out in a short time.

It is not all that bad with her career.
eva03
VMF Elite

Post by eva03 »

wylde8 wrote:If VM wants to keep her fans, she's going to need to do more than she is currently. She's had plenty of time off since she fired her mother as manager. However, if she want to continue her limited touring schedule and album releases, she has that right too. But she must realize that doing so will drive many fans away.
Low demand for Vanessa-Mae's music = Less tour
arup75
Veteran

Post by arup75 »

If the fans really love her music, I think then they wouldn't let her down..
-ThIs MeSsAgE WaS PoStEd By:-

...ArUp, ThE OnE ThAt AlWaYs MaKeS YoU HaPpY...
Arioch
**VMF Guru**

Post by Arioch »

Vanessa needs her mother back?

I don't mean literally.
Vanessa is still young she has spent 20 odd years being guided by her
mother. her mother probably did 85%+ of the management work for her?
When i say Vanessa needs her mother back i mean that she needs to look
back and see how her mother went about it, Vanessa spent 98% of her time
playing her violin, then to sack her mother and to take on her own Managing
with No experience in my opinion was and still is her biggest mistake!
I still love Vanessa-Mae and i always will and i will always look forward
to a new CD release.
The only thing that I am disappointed in is that she thought she could
play and manage together?

Vanessa if you should ever read this take my advice..
You are an incredible violinist and writer but you lack management skills
Stick to what you are good at..
..Keep on playing, You love it, I love it, we all love it.
-----Arioch------
(Lord of Chaos)
------Image-----
www.vanessa-mae.co.uk
wylde8

Post by wylde8 »

Arioch wrote:Vanessa needs her mother back?

I don't mean literally.
Vanessa is still young she has spent 20 odd years being guided by her
mother. her mother probably did 85%+ of the management work for her?
When i say Vanessa needs her mother back i mean that she needs to look
back and see how her mother went about it, Vanessa spent 98% of her time
playing her violin, then to sack her mother and to take on her own Managing
with No experience in my opinion was and still is her biggest mistake!
I still love Vanessa-Mae and i always will and i will always look forward
to a new CD release.
The only thing that I am disappointed in is that she thought she could
play and manage together?

Vanessa if you should ever read this take my advice..
You are an incredible violinist and writer but you lack management skills
Stick to what you are good at..
..Keep on playing, You love it, I love it, we all love it.
Well said Arioch! :finger:
bijsterg
Veteran

Post by bijsterg »

Arioch, I could'nt have said it better myself!! A real manager probably would have taken care of contacts with her fans. And Rjko, it maybe would have caused a concert in Holland!
Gerrit (bijsterg)
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

Apparently, Vanessa-Mae doesn't want a manager, otherwise she would arrange one. Maybe she is just happy with everything going as they are now.

Managers not rarely tend to arrange things to earn money for themselves rather than organising things accoridng to the wishes and needs of the other party.

You see it so often with soccer players and other sportsmen: many contracts are arranged ro make the manager rich, not because it serves the interests of the player, or whoever.