Which record label would you like VM to join? - Her contract with EMI has ended

This is the main lobby for Vanessa-Mae related discussions.

Moderator: zeta

daisyhill
VMF Reg

Post by daisyhill »

Hey guys,

Two Taiwan sites promoting the "Best of" cd have disclosed that the STC was the last album Vanessa-Mae recorded for EMI. But since their relationship have always been very good, she has agreed to the release of the Best of and take part in any related promotions despite the fact that their contract has ended.

There have been many speculations on which record label she would sign. Having a big commercial success and sold over 7 million copies of cds, different labels have been trying to sign her up but so far, no one knows her final decision. Instead, she has elected to tour around and visit fans in Asia first.

I had a little discussion with Ray the other day. Both of us prefer Sony. Maybe we could have a vote huh?
Canfan

Post by Canfan »

Yes Sony indeed.
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

Well Sony would be a great choice in terms of what they are doing to promote their artists, but I have really no idea what other labels have to offer in general. One thing is for sure, Vanessa-Mae needs the freedom and support to record any type of music that she on any specific moment.

Vanessa-Mae is a world acclaimed famous artists, and she deserves the credits and this should be reflected in the nature of her contract. It will be tough negociations, I suppose.

Only the best is good enough for our Vanessa-Mae, in my opinion.
Kevin
VMF Elite

Post by Kevin »

Sony or Virgin

if she did sign with Sony, it would be nice because she could be on the label, and still release her classical albums through Sony, it would just be Sony Classics. It would be the same with Virgin. However I'd like to know what happened with her and Virgin. (storm release on virgin...why no other albums?)
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

From the perspective that 'only the best is good enough for our Vanessa-Mae' we have been blaming EMI for a lot of things, but to be honest EMI also deserves some words of gratitude.

EMI gave a 14 years old girl - our Vanessa-Mae - as a completely unknown in the pop music scence the change to record in both their pop and classical divisions. Probably not too much other labels would have done so. They recognised her potential to become a world star.

I think Vanessa-Mae realises this very well. She is famous now and a lot of labels would die for the oppotunity to sign her to their company.
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

Virgin is part of EMI, as is Angel Records.

Vanessa-Mae's autobiography was planned to be released by Virgin Books. Maybe that will change now also.
Kevin
VMF Elite

Post by Kevin »

you also have to think of the point of the companys base in america. Shes a world star true...but America...
eva03
VMF Elite

Post by eva03 »

Kevin wrote:Sony or Virgin
virgin is part of EMI right?
Kevin
VMF Elite

Post by Kevin »

yea i remember now. but she should stay with EMI...if it is the case that shes a big world star and a lot of labels should want her, then why is EMI releasing without a fight?
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

I have no idea why STC has not been released in the USA.

An EMI employee once explained that EMI company uis devided in regional offices that all have their own release policy. The only world wide operating part of EMI is EMI Classics. EMI UK and EMI Classics are responsibly for the recording of the cd of Vanessa-Mae, but EMI UK can not force the other regional offices to actually release them. Only EMI Classics can take care for a world wide release, as was actually the case with all classical cd's of our girl.

At least I think that these classical cd's are available world wide. If anyone knows otherwise, please let me know!!
ENCORE!

Post by ENCORE! »

I think vanessa should avoid...
Warner Music (It has got a terrible promotion system!)
EMI (no, not again!)
Virgin (initially new artists signed with virgin don't get promotions at all!)

In my opinion UNIVERSAL is a good label...
daisyhill
VMF Reg

Post by daisyhill »

But Bond is with Universal. Very unlikely she would join the same label.
Btw, looks like she is not very keen on joining any label. A local reporter said she would take a long vacation in winter after finishing up all the work in hand.
Kevin
VMF Elite

Post by Kevin »

You would hope to think that vanessa would take a LONG break after the tour give herself time to think and rejuvenate. after that work on the projects and hit the road again. If Mae doesnt sign with a label ... I dont think we'll hear much from her after. I think she should consider all her options.
daisyhill
VMF Reg

Post by daisyhill »

As far as we know, she is not quitting, so she will definitely sign a label. Yes, I agree with you. She should think carefully before signing any contract. But we fans would certainly like to see her back on tour asap.
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

Why call her Mae? That is language for unfair critics, in my opinion.

Vanessa-Mae said that a new classical album will be released nexrt year ann another pop album in 2004 already thereafter. So she needs a record company.

We should also not forget that she didn't personally confirm that she is leaving EMI: it is just a rumour for now.

Probably her contract with EMI is ending, but renewing it might also be an option. Moreover, being out of publicity after the tour untill after her winter break is also gives Vanessa-Mae the time to consider all her options. May she made her choice for one label already, but she wants to negogiate the best possible deal.