Is this part of the 'Carmen Fantasy'

This is the main lobby for Vanessa-Mae related discussions.

Moderator: zeta

Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

During her classical concert in Berlin in 1996, Vanessa-Mae played the 'Carmen Fantasy.' During this piece, Vanessa-Mae was dressed in that gorgeous short red dress. This concert has been recorded and is available on video tape.

I have a question regarding the third part of the 'Carmen Fantasy.' This part runs form 49 minutes to almost 51 minutes. I don't think this piece belongs to the Carmen Fantasy. It is not on Vanessa-Mae's version as it is on her debt cd (see also disc 3 of the Classical Collection), nor is it on some other version that I have heard.

I have heard this music several times, but have never been able to find out its tittle.

Does anyone know of this part does belong to the Carmen Fantasy; or if not, what the title is and who did compose it?
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

The part of the Carmen Fantasy as mentioned above can be found as track 3 in th efollowing link:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec....6490210

It is called ' March Of The Toreadors.' But is this part of the Carmen Fantasy?
Arioch
**VMF Guru**

Post by Arioch »

Rijko,
This is the best that i can do whever it's correct or not
i can't be sure!
Maybe someone else mght know more?

As far as i can gather it is a part of the
Carmen Fantasies.
The following is what i've been able to find out
hope it helps

Bizet: Carmen 'Fantasy'
Is An opera about a Army Officer
who falls in love with a Gypsy Girl and all H*ll breaks loose.
(length of opera aprox' 120mins)

Act 1, Suite No 1:
The Toreadores (March Of The Toreadors)
Prelude
Aragonaise

Act 2, Suite No2:
Habanera
Seguedille
Entre' Acte
Gypsy Dance

(I await to be corrected)
-----Arioch------
(Lord of Chaos)
------Image-----
www.vanessa-mae.co.uk
Kevin
VMF Elite

Post by Kevin »

Carmen the OPERA is just Carmen

The Carmen Fantasy is used to describe the particular virtuosic piece of music, using different motifs from the opera transcribed. Most violinists use the SAME Fantasy, however there are other editions out there.

The opera is in 4 acts (sometimes 3 depending) I will do my best to have a Exact listing soon.
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

Kevin, Arioch,

All sound reasonable to me. 'March of the Toreradors' is clearly a motive in the opera, and can be used as such in the 'Carmen Fantasies.'

Thanks, guys.
kernkraft

Post by kernkraft »

Rodion Schchedrin did compose the Carmen Suite which is an adaptation of Bizet's opera but it was done for ballet so thus, no vocals and just instrumentation using percussion and orchestra. Maybe that is what you are looking for? It is quite a popular piece for figure skating.