3 Quick Questions

This is the main lobby for Vanessa-Mae related discussions.

Moderator: zeta

bloviate

3 Quick Questions

Post by bloviate »

Can anyone tell me: A. How tall is Vanessa Mae? (Preferably in feet- no I don't mean barefoot) B. Does her mother still perform? C. Are mother and daughter still estranged?
MSam
VMF Reg

Post by MSam »

Im not sure about A, But

B: No, I dont beleive Pamema performs anymore - for Vanessa Mae or anyone else.

C: Yes, Vanessa Mae and her mother are still estraged. Quoted from an interview, they only see each other if they run in to each other at their favourite chinese resturant.
vmfan

Post by vmfan »

Hi Vanessa-Mae is 5ft3 lol I would tower over her as I am 5ft10.5 cool hey!
How tall is everyone here?
bloviate

Post by bloviate »

Thanks vmfan and msam. I am also a towerer at 1 full foot over Vanessa. Sorry to hear Pamela and she have yet to work out their differences. :cry:
eva03
VMF Elite

Post by eva03 »

So Vanessa-Mae and I will be a perfect couple since we have the same height...in my dreams. LOL.
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

Vanessa-Mae's mother Pamela sometimes plays with Vasko Vassilev. Both have released one cd in 1996 with Brahms sonates for violin and piano. Last year, I read a report on an English langauge wensite dealing with Bulgaria that Vasko would perform in Sofia accompanied by Pamela. It was explicitely mentioned that Pamela was Vanessa-Mae's mother and that Vasko had been one of Vanessa-Mae's teachers.
bloviate

Post by bloviate »

Hmm, interesting, Rijko. So Mother is benefitting from daughter's fame, in a way. Maybe she should make the first move in a reconciliation. :wink:
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

I was going to guess about 5'3" because when she signed my "Choreography" CD she was just a little bit shorter than me -- though I couldn't see how high her heels were :lol:
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

David, I was there too in the Royal Festival Hall. She had quite high heels but I've seen her on photos with even higher heels often. I noticed it when I saw Vanessa-Mae walking down the stairs after the session was over.
Arioch
**VMF Guru**

Post by Arioch »

Rijko have you got the Brahms sonates for violin and piano Cd,
is it any good?
-----Arioch------
(Lord of Chaos)
------Image-----
www.vanessa-mae.co.uk
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

Yes, I have this cd. It is good music and well played but the sonates are all quite sad in nature.

The cd has 3 sonates for violin and piano and one Scherzo for violin and piano. This is the same Scherzo as is on Vanessa-Mae's Classical Album 1.

Interesting, Pamela's biography is in the booklet. Here are some basic facts:

- Born in Singapore where she started to play the piano at a young age.
- At 16, she won the National Open Piano Competition
- In the next year she performed in several public recitals
- She then appeared as solist with the Notional Orchestra and witht Chamber Essambles in Hong Kong, Taiwan, Phillipines and Australia
- In these years, Pamela also graduated from law school in Singapore and practiced as a lawer
- She setteld in London in 1983 where she practiced as a lawer for several years
- She did not give up music, but appeared in various televised programmes of classical music
- In 1985, Pamela decided to devote herself to music entirely
- She performed with the Royal Philharmonic and took part in several music festivals - Leeds, Vienna, Schleswig-Holstein and several more
- She made several recordings of chamber music, for which she had a particualr predilection - Tritico Classic and ASV Crown labels
- She played with violinists like Vanessa-Mae and Xue-Wei and vasko Vassilev

Remarkable, it is not mentioned that Vanessa-Mae is her daughther. Nor is it mentioend in the biography that she had a daughter form her first marriage and that she settled in the UK after her second marriage with Graham Nicholson.

I can make the cd available as mp3's if anyone is interested?

Arioch, let me know!
Last edited by Xanthippe on Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
eva03
VMF Elite

Post by eva03 »

:D I'm interested Rijko!
MSam
VMF Reg

Post by MSam »

I'd definitely like to hear the Scherzo (unless it is the exact same one with Vanessa playing). It would be interesting to hear her skill to!
bloviate

Post by bloviate »

Does anyone know of a Pamela Nicholson-related website
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

Here are links to the files of cd of Vasko Vassilev and Pamela Nicholson.

Scherzo

Sonate # 1

Sonate # 2

Sonate # 3

The files stay available for only 7 days.

I have never seen a site for Pamela Nicholson nor for Vasko Vassilev but I haven't checked for a long time.