Bond Fan Needs Help

This is the main lobby for Vanessa-Mae related discussions.

Moderator: zeta

shineon

Bond Fan Needs Help

Post by shineon »

Hi,

I am a huge fan of Bond, the string quartet and a lot of people on thier form were talking about vanessa mae so i had to check it out. I have been a fan of bond since they started, 6 years ago in 2000. I have all of bonds cds and thier live concert dvd. I am hopefully going to a vanessa mae cd soon. To me personally her sound is very similar but in way diffrent from bonds (not saying they are the same it is just way i am intrepeting it). I have no clue what cd to get of vannesa mae's though, i was thinking about storm.

shineon
Bond fan since the year 2001

New Vanessa Mae Fan
bloviate

Post by bloviate »

Welcome shineon to everything you want to know about Vanessa-Mae. Well, almost. Actually I think you'll find that the 2 artists have a lot in common, and you'll surely notice that they both have rumored albums in the making and are driving their fans crazy with a lack of credible information. If you haven't developed patience by now with Bond, try adding Vanessa-Mae to the mix. Storm would be a great choice to start out, but then so would a lot of others. I also suggest the one that started it all, the pioneer crossover album The Violin Player.
MSam
VMF Reg

Post by MSam »

I would recommend you go to Amazon, and hear some of the samples of the tracks on various CDs.

Personally, I recommend that you get Storm or Choreography. Storm since its just amazing, or Choreography since its short and you wont be so dissapointed by its lacking track numbers (I wasnt dissapointed, since it was my first)
bloviate

Post by bloviate »

Actually it's a matter of what you are used to. Choreography is slightly longer than The Violin Player with the same number of tracks, and I don't recall anyone complaining about how short The Violin Player is.
shineon

Post by shineon »

thanks everyone, i have not given up on bond yet. i am going today to get a get a cd of hers. i still have to decicde. i listened to some audio samples and i really like it.

shineon

female bond fan

New Vanessa Mae Fan
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

Hi shineon,

Welcome in htis online Vanessa-Mae community! It is always nice to see a Bond fan join us.

All albums of Vanessa-Mae are worth listening and buying, of course. However, if you are interested in Vanessa-Mae's classical side then you might try The Classicla Album 1 or The Original Four Seasons, or if you are very romantic China Girl would make a nice choice!

I noticed that we have more new members that were a fan of Bond already before getting to know about Vanessa-Mae.

I am not an Bond fan myself! Actually, I always see Bond as only a spin-off from Vanessa-Mae and find them quite uninteresting. Bond was founded by Mel Bush who was Vanessa-Mae's manager during at the time of the release of The Violin Player till early 2000. Mel Bush started Bond and went on exploiting concepts based on The Violin Player.

I am glad that Vanessa-Mae developped herself in making different kind of music and albums instead of repeating herself with a second album in the style of The Violin Player.
bloviate

Post by bloviate »

Doesn't it seem ironic that Vanessa has been recording for more than twice as long as bond yet she is younger than any of them
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

Yeah, Vanessa-Mae will be 28 next week and started recording when she was only 12. She is a professional musician for more then half of her life

Isn't that so amazing??!!
shineon

Post by shineon »

i ended up buying storm, i was torn between storm and the violin player. i got turned onto VM b/c of bond. I really like how both artists blend classical and other stlyes.

shineon

New Vanessa Mae Fan
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

shineon, good for you.

Be prepared, Vanessa-Mae is addictive. Once a fan, you never get enough of her!
shineon

Post by shineon »

i am major fans of the following groups

Bond
The 5 Browns (they play piano and are 5 silbings, www.the5browns.com)

and now a new fan of VM

shineon

New Vanessa Mae Fan
bloviate

Post by bloviate »

Shineon, let us know what Storm songs really grab you the first listen. And Rijko is right about the addictiveness. BTW, judging from the Bond forum these days, it looks like the quartet's current lack of activity is becoming a catalyst for making the bored and curious into new V-M fans.
MSam
VMF Reg

Post by MSam »

Fantastic choice buying Storm, Shineon. From what I've heard from the samples, it has lots of great songs (and thanks to Rijko, I can see it has a nice booklet!). Mine still hasnt come yet :(
bloviate wrote:Shineon, let us know what Storm songs really grab you the first listen. And Rijko is right about the addictiveness. BTW, judging from the Bond forum these days, it looks like the quartet's current lack of activity is becoming a catalyst for making the bored and curious into new V-M fans.
Im telling you, two thirds of the people that post over there love Vanessa Mae. Vanessa Mae I actually like better than bond. Being a soloist, she can do so much more with her music.
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

Yeah, Storm is such a fanastic album - see my review at Review Storm. It is so powerful, full of dynamic and it is very versatile. Storm shows Vanessa-Mae's development in creating something completely new after The Violin Player and The Classical Album 1.

BTW, The Classical Album 1 was a brilliant and daring move of Vanessa-Mae to do a pure classical album after her success with The Violin Player, where she could play it safe and make easy money by releasing an album in the same style as The Violin Player.
MSam
VMF Reg

Post by MSam »

Rijko Ebens wrote: BTW, The Classical Album 1 was a brilliant and daring move of Vanessa-Mae to do a pure classical album after her success with The Violin Player, where she could play it safe and make easy money by releasing an album in the same style as The Violin Player.
I wouldnt mind another Classical Album. I would love to hear her play Czardas, and Paganini. That would be so awesome!