Vanessa-Mae - HK to China and video interview from 1998

This is the main lobby for Vanessa-Mae related discussions.

Moderator: zeta

Xanthippe

Vanessa-Mae - HK to China and video interview from 1998

Post by Xanthippe »

June 30 this year marks one decade since the re-unification of Hong Kong and China. I wrote my monthly letter at my website around this event, see

Vanessa-Mae: Saying Power On Strings

The lines below stem from this letter

Vanessa-Mae was invited to play a prestigious role at the time of the exact time of the handover, at midnight. Being a British citizen of Chinese descent living in the UK, Vanessa-Mae represents both cultures and she was invited to perform an appropriate piece of music at midnight. In doing so, Vanessa-Mae became the last foreign artist to perform under British rule and, at the same time, the first foreign artist to perform under the new Chinese government. Vanessa-Mae composed a special song called Happy Valley: The Re-Unification Overture that she performed at that special moment, and that describes as a song of hope and a dance of joy.'

I too possess a video of an interview that Sky News had with Vanessa-Mae in January 1998. The interview dealt with the upcoming release of Vanessa-Mae's new album China Girl, and Vanessa-Mae looked back to her memorable performance during the evening of the handover of Hong Kong to China as well. The video shows Vanessa-Mae during the interview and during her performance in Hong Kong on June 30, 1997, the Re-Unification day. the captures below come from the video. More captures are available at VMSPOS

During the interview, Vanessa-Mae's face was made up to a serene flawless complexion to provide the air of aristrocracy for an real chinese girl from upper class social circles. Note also, Vanessa-Mae's very haevy make-up during her performance at the handover ceremony that matched the spectacular show that she gave that night accompanied by full orchestra, a ladies choir and fireworks.

Read more at Vanessa-Mae: Saying Power On Strings

For those interested, I have the video available for sharing.
VanessaMaeFan18

vanessa mae interview

Post by VanessaMaeFan18 »

i am VERRRRRRY INTERESTED IN THE VANESSA MAE INTERVIEW VIDEO!!!! PLEASE SEND!!
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

Hi VanessaMaeFan18,

I've sent you a link via pm. enjoy the video.
MSam
VMF Reg

Post by MSam »

Thanks very much for the review Rijko! It's nice to read about events that have passed by - I didn't even know about Vanessa Mae back then! :lol:
zeta
**VMF Guru**

Post by zeta »

Hi rijko! i have just came from germany and i saw our Vanessa for my first time!!Wow, i cant describe what i have lived.
I met her, i made photos with her and i have signatures of her.She sooo nice.
So,i hope to tell you more about this.Could you send me that interview video?Thank you!
VanessaMaeFan18

Post by VanessaMaeFan18 »

man :-(. im soooo jealous bc vanessa mae would never come to the states. i wish she would come to atlanta :-( im soooooooooooooo sad.