Vanessa-Mae's violins

This is the main lobby for Vanessa-Mae related discussions.

Moderator: zeta

Xanthippe

Vanessa-Mae's violins

Post by Xanthippe »

I regularly receive questions via my website about the violins that Vanessa-Mae uses. Therefore, I wrote a story dealing with the violins that we know Vanessa-Mae owns and uses. The story is available on the home page of my website as this weeks Vanessa-Mae Chronicle, but will remain permantly available as separate section Vanessa-Mae's violins I use several photos of Vanessa-Mae with her various violins as illustration.

I hope the story on my website dealing with Vanessa-Mae's violins serves as valuable background information for all fans.

BTW, the FSVM website also has information on Vanessa-Mae's violins available at http://vanessamae.org/introduction.php?nav=instruments
wylde8

Post by wylde8 »

Very cool write up Xanthippe. I've always had a fascination with stringed instruments and I think the instruments in a musicians arsenal tell a lot about them as individuals. VM has certainly acquired some cool violins over the years.
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

Hi wylde8,

I am glad you liked my story.

I agree with you that the violins tell something about Vanessa-Mae, as any instrument does about its owner and user.

The acoustic Guadagnini tells about Vanessa-Mae that she is traditionally trained classical musician.

The Zeta tells about Vanessa-Mae that she is eager to explore her skills and musical horizon into new musical styles and that she is adventurous.

The Ted Brewer tells about Vanessa-Mae that she is an artist with an eye for performance and show making.

Well that is our girl, our Vanessa-Mae.
wylde8

Post by wylde8 »

Does anyone know of any other famous musicians who use a Guadagnini violin?
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

The following come from the wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giovanni_B ... Guadagnini

Violinists
American violinist Tamen Beseke plays a 1780 Guadagnini.
Norwegian violinist Ole Bohn plays a 1766 Guadagnini purchased for his use by Nordea Bank.
Italian violinist Riccardo Brengola played a 1747 Guadagnini, the "Contessa Crespi" (now played by Pavel Vernikov)
Canadian violinist Andrew Dawes owns a 1770 Guadagnini.
American violinist Gregory Fulkerson plays a 1774 Guadagnini.
German violinist Julia Fischer plays a 1750 Guadagnini.
David Garrett. In December of 2007, Garrett fell after a performance and smashed his 1772 Guadagnini, which he had purchased four years earlier for USD 1 million.[1]
Albanian violinist Kristi Gjezi plays a 1784 Guadagnini (Turin) violin, which belongs to Fondation Zilber, in Paris.
English violinist David Greed plays a 1757 Guadagnini.
French-born violinist Henry Gronnier plays a 1745 Guadagnini from Piacenza, Italy.
Norwegian violinist Peter Herresthal plays a 1753 Guadagnini from Milan.
Willy Hess was the owner of a Guadagnini made in the 1740s.
David Juritz plays a Guadagnini violin made c. 1748.
American violinist David Kim plays a 1757 Guadagnini on permanent loan from The Philadelphia Orchestra.
Ukrainian violinist Mikhail Kopelman owns a 1773 Guadagnini.
Austrian violinst Ernst Kovacic plays a 1754 Guadagnini.
Finnish violinist Pekka Kuusisto plays a 1752 Guadagnini violin.
Russian violinist Viktoria Mullova plays a 1750 Guadagnini.
Polish violinist Piotr Plawner plays a 1772 Guadagnini.
Yugoslavian-born violinist Nemanja Radulovic plays a 1765 Guadagnini.
American-born Julie Rosenfeld, violinist of the Colorado Quartet, plays a Guadagnini c. 1750
Alaska-based violinist Linda Rosenthal plays a Guadagnini made in Turin in 1772.
Canadian-born violinist Lara St. John performs on the 1779 "Salabue" Guadagnini violin, which she calls "the Resurrection."
American violinist Stephanie Sant’Ambrogio plays a 1757 Guadagnini.
Norwegian violinist Sølve Sigerland plays a 1752 Guadagnini violin.
Fijian-born violinist Wilma Smith plays a 1761 Guadagnini.
American violinist Livia Sohn plays a 1770 Guadagnini.
Australian virtuoso violinist Richard Tognetti plays a 1759 Guadagnini, made in Parma
Vanessa-Mae plays a 1761 Guadagnini.
Ukrainian-born violinist Pavel Vernikov plays a 1747 Guadagnini, the "Contessa Crespi" (which formerly belonged to Riccardo Brengola), which belongs to the "Pro Canale" Foundation in Milan.
American violinist Linda Wang plays a 1767 Guadagnini.
Violists
Finnish violist Ilari Angervo plays a Guadagnini viola made in 1762.
University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point viola professor Dee Martz performs on the 1773 "Cozio" Guadagnini viola, which is on loan from the Copernicus Cultural Foundation.
University of Texas-Austin viola professor Roger Myers performs on a Guadagnini viola made in Parma in 1763.[1]
Cellists
Carter Brey, principal cellist of the New York Philharmonic, plays a Guadagnini cello from 1754.
English cellist Natalie Clein plays the "Simpson" Guadagnini cello (1777).
Lithuanian-born German cellist David Geringas plays a G. B. Guadagnini cello made in Turin in 1761.
Austrian cellist Martin Hornstein plays the "ex van Zweygberg" cello, built in Piacenza in 1743 by Giovanni Battista Guadagnini; his instrument is on loan from the instrument collection of the Oesterreichische Nationalbank.
Gilberto Munguia plays a 1748 Guadagnini cello.
Maxine Neuman plays a 1772 Guadagnini cello.
Jamie Walton played a Guadagnini cello of 1765.
Dutch cellist Pieter Wispelwey plays a 1760 Guadagnini cello.
James Richter played a 1770 Guadagnini cello.
Double bass players
University of North Texas double bass professor Jeff Bradetich plays a double bass that is believed to have been made by Guadagnini in 1767.
Eero Munter, the principal double bassist of the Lahti Symphony Orchestra, plays a G. B. Guadagnini instrument that is believed to have been made c. 1770
wylde8

Post by wylde8 »

Wow. Thanks Xanthippe.

Its unbelieveable to me that there are so many of his instruments still around, not to mention documented. Its extraordinary that his instruments have made it into the hands of such a great number of accomplished musicians.
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

Yes wylde8, I was very surprised too when I found this information.
foreverred

Don't forget...

Post by foreverred »

... Vanessa-Mae has been using a metallic gray Zeta Jazz Fusion violin since 2001. I got that information from Gregg at Zeta Music Systems - he's the CEO and a good friend of mine, and he made my translucent red Jazz Fusion for me. She has not used the white in some time.