re: Is This A Superstition?.....Hmmm It Could Be.

This is the main lobby for Vanessa-Mae related discussions.

Moderator: zeta

CarrollTowerCX

re: Is This A Superstition?.....Hmmm It Could Be.

Post by CarrollTowerCX »

I think it would be interesting to get some background on Vanessa-Mae's apparent superstitions, such as stepping over freshly spilled water when leaving her dressing room for a performance. For good luck I suppose.

The other one I have noticed is Vanessa always says, " Fasten Your Seat-belts ",when halfway through Toccata and Fugue. Does anyone know the significance of this? I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on these or any others that I might not have noticed.

CX
Xanthippe

Re: re: Is This A Superstition?.....Hmmm It Could Be.

Post by Xanthippe »

I have no idea if Vanessa-Mae still steps over freshly spilled water before going on stage. We can ask her for her birthday present.

Also the issue of her saying Fasten Your Seatbelt what it means would be an interesting question for her as well. I can;t remember that we ever discussed this in the forum.
CarrollTowerCX

Post by CarrollTowerCX »

xantippe,

That would be great if we could get her answer to those. I am very interested to find out.

CX
New Blue Eyes

Post by New Blue Eyes »

Probably "Fasten your seatbelt" means the music is about to get hotter and bumpier and jumpier, so you'd better...

NBE
New Blue Eyes, V-M's #1 USA fan!
CarrollTowerCX

Post by CarrollTowerCX »

NBE's,

Well that is a thought. But a lot of her other music is also along those lines. A lot of action and energy.

May she play forever!

CX
New Blue Eyes

Post by New Blue Eyes »

That is true CX, but "Tocatta" was her first pop release. Until that time, no one ever heared such a rendition. She was saying, "Get ready for this. I'm going to blow you out of your seats!"

NBE
CarrollTowerCX

Post by CarrollTowerCX »

NBEs,

You may very well be right. It WAS her first pop release. And again no one had ever done classical music like that! The beginning of her trade-mark style. Yes I believe you are right about that.........But because she continues to use it; could that now be considered a superstition, or maybe at least a good luck saying?

My wife is Korean, and she has some good luck, bad luck things she does and says. I think it is an Oriental thing. Just a thought.

May she play forever!

CX
New Blue Eyes

Post by New Blue Eyes »

I suppose anything's possible. Although, maybe she just considers it part of the number--beings it was originally recorded that way. We can ask her this fall.

NBE
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

I think this expression is just part of the song. The explanation mentioned by NBE sounds reasonable to me. It can very well be used to express just that feeling! Afterall, at that time, Vanessa-Mae needed to establish her name and fame.
New Blue Eyes wrote:"Get ready for this. I'm going to blow you out of your seats!"

NBE
CarrollTowerCX

Post by CarrollTowerCX »

Xanthippe & NBEs

Well that is certainly something to consider. Having said it once in that piece, then why not continue?..........But then again.....

May she play forever!

CX