Vanessa-Mae's Violins (II)

This is the main lobby for Vanessa-Mae related discussions.

Moderator: zeta

aventine
Site Admin

Post by aventine »

I watched the video of VM at the opening of the CBA's where she performed "Bach Street Prelude" and she wasn't using her Zeta or her Ted Brewer, but an acoustic violin. However, I don't think it was "Gizmo" and I know she was playing live, as was her three piece band (same size as mine except for when I have a flautist/saxophonist), so I think she's actually changing her approach to live shows using a different way of amplifying herself.

A lot of players who have been known to be primarily "electric" in many years past are actually going back to a more natural look and sound by putting a pickup by a company called "L.R. Baggs" on their regular instruments and getting a very natural acoustic tone out of their violin even when plugged in.

I think this is a great step for VM because she gets a studio quality tone out of her violin, and you can't even tell it's plugged in - yet she still plays live and I think it's great to see her using this method of amplification. I've used the Baggs pickup for many years and I've always been happy with the results.

Having an electric like Ted Brewer is cool for that dancey-trancey sound and look, but for songs where a natural approach is required, it's great that she uses an acoustic instrument with pickup.

Any thoughts?
-Omar
www.omarlopez.com
aventine
Site Admin

Post by aventine »

I've tried some electric violins in local music shops, but I didn't particularly like them. They only had fenders, or some weird brand that I haven't heard of before. I was in the shops again last week and saw they had the Yamaha Silent ones, but I haven't tried it out yet, since I'm not really in the market to get an electric one anymore.

I much prefer playing an acoustic with a good pickup on it. I dunno, maybe it's cos I love my current German violin too much, it feels just right for me that any other ones I've tried lately, especially electric ones, don't feel good. Not to mention that fender one sounds crap.

Anyway, as I was saying before, maybe we should ask her about it when we send her the birthday present. I'd also like to ask her about the Hill violin, cos we don't have much info on that.
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

We will certainly ask her about the Hill and whether she uses it form time to time of certain type of occasions.
Arioch
**VMF Guru**

Post by Arioch »

So what are we going to buy our Noodles for her Birthday
this year?
-----Arioch------
(Lord of Chaos)
------Image-----
www.vanessa-mae.co.uk
changing worlds
Site Admin

Post by changing worlds »

Arioch wrote:So what are we going to buy our Noodles for her Birthday
this year?
This should be opened as a new topic.
Arioch
**VMF Guru**

Post by Arioch »

OK i will do.

Topic started here>>
Link>> Birthday Gift

Edited By Arioch on 1090763299
-----Arioch------
(Lord of Chaos)
------Image-----
www.vanessa-mae.co.uk
Benji
Site Admin

Post by Benji »

Why was the other thread closed? The debate there was not off topic, as it was talking about the different violins Vanessa uses, and the methods of amplification, etc. The miming issue is directly related to that. Just because there's a debate going doesn't mean the thread should be closed.

Debates happen from time to time, and there's no reason why they shouldn't. As long as each opposing sides do not become hostile (personal insults, namecalling, etc), moderators should not interfere.

I do not agree with this kind of censorship!

Benji
changing worlds
Site Admin

Benji wrote:Why was the other thread closed?
That conversation is over. I will delete, not close, any further threads on it.

:nono:
Kevin
VMF Elite

Post by Kevin »

<sigh> I come back and one of the first things I read reminds me of why I left in the first place. (this is me not taking sides, but voicing an opinion) :scratch:
aventine
Site Admin

Post by aventine »

Kevin, stick around. There are a lot of other good discussions going on.
aventine
Site Admin

Post by aventine »

I'd love to see VM record more with Gizmo though. The Ted Brewer violin is great, but how can you compare anything with a 300 year old Guadagninni violin? :laugh:
Street_Rat
VMF Elite

Post by Street_Rat »

Im going to have to agree with Benji, the discussion was on topic, i dont think the thread should of been closed. It was seeming to be getting a little hostile though, so in the name of harmony, i understand why it was closed.
Street_Rat
--> a simple man with a simple wish
aventine
Site Admin

Post by aventine »

Guys, I have no problems with talking about miming. I have a problem with name calling and hostility, which I felt in that thread. If the topic of miming will always result in hostility towards each other in the end, then maybe it's best to leave it. Do we have anything new to say in regards to that topic? Other than the back and forth "you are wrong"? Both sides of the argument have been thoroughly presented. Let the audience decide.

Please, I'd like this to go back on topic now. :bow2:

Edited By aventine on 1090832905
changing worlds
Site Admin

Right or wrong, I created a new topic in Discussions. Please do not post any more to this topic that is not relevant to her violins.

:cool:
Benji
Site Admin

Post by Benji »

aventine wrote:Guys, I have no problems with talking about miming. I have a problem with name calling and hostility, which I felt in that thread. If the topic of miming will always result in hostility towards each other in the end, then maybe it's best to leave it. Do we have anything new to say in regards to that topic? Other than the back and forth "you are wrong"? Both sides of the argument have been thoroughly presented. Let the audience decide.

Please, I'd like this to go back on topic now. :bow2:

Actually, the thread was closed before Omar can give his thoughts about it.

I was looking forward to hearing his thoughts.

And the debate was not off-topic in the other thread, nor it is here. The topic is "Vanessa-Mae's violins" in which Omar writes about how he feels about Vanessa playing acoustic/electric violins in live appearances as opposed to studio. The miming had a direct relation to that.

As i've stated in the General Thread, the debate was certainly heated but it was not hostile. There was no namecalling or personal insults. Will it go nowhere? Well, the thread was closed within 24 hours of the issue being raised. Who is to say for sure? If it goes nowhere, then it goes nowhere. No one is being forced to read it.

--Benji

Edited By Benji on 1090868309