Test you knowledge of Vanessa-Mae contest - The questionnaire

This is the main lobby for Vanessa-Mae related discussions.

Moderator: zeta

Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

Alright. Here is my list of 85 questions for the'Test Your Knowledge of Vanessa-Mae' contest.

All questions are worth one point, except those that are indicated for more points. All the answers can be found on the Internet, in the bookles of her cd''s, in concert brochures or newspaper articles. Moreover, most topics have been discussed in the forum during the past two years.

This contest is supposed to be sheer fun. I am the only person to judge the correctnes of all answers. But I can asure you all that I will judge very generously. In case that of multiple winner, I will make more prices available. Most important is that we have fun and that no arguments take place.

Remember, 3 high quality copies of photos are available for the winners. The winners can select their price out of a series of 8 wonderful photos of Vanessa-Mae that I own. My avatar is an example of this series of 8.

You can email me your answers to me at:

[email=r.h.e.ebens@home.nl.]r.h.e.ebens@home.nl.[/email]

The list of questions is in my next post in this topic. Just print out the list, or copy-paste in into a text processing program and save it as such.

Any questions or technical problems: just email me for help.

BTW, participation in the contes is free of charge!!

Answers should be submitted within two weeks. If more time is needed, just let me know!!
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

Here is the list of questions:

-------------
Test you knowledge of Vanessa-Mae questionnaire

First part: basic facts
1 Name the place where Vanessa-Mae was born.
2 On exactly what day and in what year was she born?
3 Mention the name and nationality of her mother.
4 Mention the name and nationality of her natural father.
5 What is the profession of her natural father?
6 Vanessa-Mae’s mother re-married after divorcing her natural father. What is the name and nationality of Vanessa-Mae’s second father?
7 What is the profession of her second father?
8 Vanessa-Mae shares her birthday with a famous person of the 18th century. Who is he and why is he so important to Vanessa-Mae?
9 Where does Vanessa-Mae live today?
10 Who is Vanessa-Mae’s boy friend and in what line of business does he make his money?
11 Vanessa-Mae was bridesmaid when her mother married her second father. The day after the marriage, Vanessa-Mae expressed a thought to her mother that is typical for small children at that age to have. What was the thought the young Vanessa-Mae had?

Second part: Musical training and early career.
12 During her musical training, Vanessa-Mae had several tutors. One of these tutors played an important role in her recording career later, and he also participated in concert tours as well. What is his name?
13 Vanessa-Mae went to China to study the violin according to a specific approach in learning to handle basic techniques. What is the name of the person who developed this approach? This is also the name of the technique.
14 How old was Vanessa-Mae when she went to China to study the violin?
15 What was the name of her tutor in China?
16 What is the name of the institute in China where Vanessa-Mae studied?
17 After returning to London, Vanessa-Mae completed her training as violinist by studying for one year at a famous institute. What is the name of this institute and where is it located?
18 What is the name of her primary tutor at this institute?
19 Vanessa-Mae didn’t start musical lessons on the violin. What instrument did she start with and why?
20 What made Vanessa-Mae change to study the violin?
21 Vanessa-Mae received a very special gift from her parents for her 10th birthday. What was this present.
22 Who built the acoustic violin of Vanessa-Mae?
23 In what year was this violin built?
24 What is the pet name Vanessa-Mae gave to her acoustic violin?
25 In what year was Vanessa-Mae’s live debut performance with an orchestra?
26 Which orchestra accompanied Vanessa-Mae at this debut performance?
27 Vanessa-Mae recorded three albums already when she was 12-13 years old. On what small label were these 3 recordings released?
28 Vanessa-Mae donated almost all her income form these three recordings to charity. What is the name of the organisation that was supported by Vanessa-Mae by these donations?
29 The three early recordings were re-released by EMI in November 2000 as ‘The Classical Collection part 1.’ Name all three tittles of the original recordings of 1991-1992 (one point for each of the three tittles!).
30 In 1991, Vanessa-Mae embarked on her first tour of concerts in the UK and Far East. She toured as soloist with a famous British ensemble of musicians. What is the name of this ensemble?
31 What was the reason for this ensemble to give this series of concerts?

Part 3: Professional career 1995-2002
32 In 1994 Vanessa-Mae started to collaborate with a famous manager. What is the name of her first professional manger?
33 In 1994, Vanessa-Mae signed an unprecedented contract for the worlds largest record company. What is the name of this record company?
34 Why is the contract of Vanessa-Mae so unique?
35 So far, Vanessa-Mae has recorded 6 albums released by this label. Name all six titles (one point for each correct title)
36 Besides her acoustic violin, Vanessa-Mae started to use an electric type of violin in 1994-1995. What type of violin is this?
37 On he latest pop-album, Vanessa-Mae uses a new type of electric violin for recording and promotion activities. Who manufactured this violin?
38 What kind of material was used for the body of this new violin?
39 Three of the six albums she has recorded so far are pop-albums. On all three pop-albums, Vanessa-Mae worked with different producers. Name all three producers Vanessa-Mae worked with on her pop-albums (one point for each correct name).
40 So far, Vanessa-Mae has embarked on 4 major tours on concerts. According to the latest update of her official site, she will start her 5th tour in September. What are the names of the first 4 completed tours of concerts (one point for each correct name).
41 Vanessa-Mae refers to her style in the first part of her career as a combination of classical music and acoustic fusion music. In line with this style, she has recorded the same piece of music in the original classical form as well in a by herself composed acoustic fusion version, four times. Name the four titles of Vanessa-Mae’s acoustic fusion versions and all four tittles of the original classical works (one pointy for each combination of acoustic fusion and original classical work).
42 Vanessa-Mae is half Chinese. On what album did she investigate her Chinese roots?
43 This album was dedicated to her grand father, who had passed away in 1994. What is the name of her grand father?
44 Vanessa-Mae explained why her grand father was so important to her. What was her explanation?
45 In 1999, Vanessa-Mae made a so-called silent movie. What is the title of this movie?
46 Also in 1999, Vanessa-Mae made her debut as an actress. What is the title of the movie Vanessa-Mae played a role in?
47 What is the name of the character that Vanessa-Mae is portraying in this movie?

Part 4: Publicity, promotion campaigns and commercial activities
48 Vanessa-Mae is very selective in accepting a role in commercial campaigns. I know of 6 campaigns she participated in. Name as many commodities as you can for which Vanessa-Mae performed in commercials (one point for each commercial).
49 In January of 1997, a journalist reviewed a classical concert of Vanessa-Mae. In his review, he insinuated that Vanessa-Mae and EMI music had been lying about a certain fact in her biography. About what fact, this journalist insinuated a lie?
50 What was the name of the journalist?
51 In what UK newspaper did he write his review?
52 How did Vanessa-Mae react tot his insinuation?
53 The concert this journalist was reporting on was a concert in a UK classical tour. An orchestra accompanied Vanessa-Mae during the German part of this classical tour. Which orchestra accompanied Vanessa-Mae during these German concerts?
54 Who conducted this orchestra during these concerts?
55 Why wasn’t the orchestra present at the UK part of the tour?
56 In 1998, Vanessa-Mae visited Malaysia to do a one day promotion campaign for her new album Storm, full of interviews, a meting with fans and a short concert. A journalist described in a newspaper this event as ‘Vanessa-Mae’s Storm filled day.’ He described Vanessa-Mae at her entrance to the press conference as follows: “she looked absolutely smashing in a black spaghetti-strapped baby doll dress with flurry green trimmings and a pair of shiny knee-high black boots. Her face was, of course, perfectly made up.”
Who did Vanessa-Mae’s make-up and hair at that time and during the Storm tour?
57 How long in minutes did this person need to apply all the make-up on Vanessa-Mae’s face for this particular promotion day?
58 In January of 1998, Vanessa-Mae gave a free open-air concert in London to promote her newly launched album. Which album did she promote by this free open-air concert?
59 Where in London did this concert took place?
60 In 2001 at the launch in the UK of her latest album, Vanessa-Mae again appeared live in a free concert in London. Where in London did this event took place?
61 Vanessa-Mae did a taped interview during which she answered a selection of questions submitted by fans. The interview, together with pictures and other information was made available on the Internet. On what web page was it available?
62 Around that time, Vanessa-Mae visited an Asian country where she also gave a press conference. A video file of this press conference was also available through the Internet. What country did she visit for this promotion of her new album in 2001?
63 In 2001, Vanessa-Mae also gave an interview in Russia to a radio station. A video clip of this interview is also available. What is the name of this radio station?

Part 5: Prestigious concert achievements, special projects, events and awards

64 Vanessa-Mae addressed and performed at a 172-year old famous British university. What university was this?
65 In 1996, Vanessa-Mae was on the list of 50 most beautiful persons of a famous magazine. What is the name of this magazine?
66 In 1996, Vanessa-Mae received an award at the ‘World Music Awards’ that year. What award did she win?
67 In the winter of 1997, Vanessa-Mae gave a concert in St Moritz. The venue for this concert was very special. Why?
68 Vanessa-Mae made a spectacular entrance to this concert. How did she enter the concert?
69 In 1996, Vanessa-Mae performed in Lyon (France) in the framework of a large international conference. What conference did take place in Lyon that year?
70 In 1997, Vanessa-Mae received a German classical music award. What award did she win?
71 In 1997, Vanessa-Mae received an invitation to perform during an unique event with an enormous international importance. Name the event and the city where this all happened?
72 Vanessa-Mae composed a special song for this event. What is the title of this piece of music?
73 During her tour in 1998, Vanessa-Mae did a special openings concert for a music festival. The concert had spectacular fireworks and a lot of special effects. Moreover, several members of the Royal family of the country were present among the invited guests. The show was televised. The name of the concert refers to the country where it took place. In what country did this event took place?
74 During her tour in 1998, Vanessa-Mae gave her first a concert in Russia. In which city and what venue did this concert took place?
75 Vanessa-Mae interrupted her tour to fly back to London a give a very special concert for the delegates of an international conference that took place in London at that time. What was the name of this conference?
76 In what very special venue did Vanessa-Mae perform her concert?
77 Who was the most prominent guest in the audience of this concert?
78 For her 1998 tour of concerts, Vanessa-Mae also visited South Africa for a couple of concerts. Vanessa-Mae gave a concert at a location where no other western artist had performed before her. What is this location?
79 In 1999, Vanessa-Mae joined a charity organisation as special goodwill ambassador. What is the name of this organisation?
80 Related to her work for this organisation, Vanessa-Mae visited an African country and gave a free concert there. What is the country that Vanessa-Mae visited in 1999?
81 At the turn of the century, Vanessa-Mae gave a special concert in a France winter sports resort, which she also visits frequently on private holidays. Vanessa-Mae met her boyfriend there also. What is the name of this famous winter sports resort?
82 In 1999, Vanessa-Mae participated in a special commercial campaign to launch a new product. A short documentary was made to outline Vanessa-Mae’s role in this. What is the name of this documentary?
83 Alongside Vanessa-Mae, two other world famous celebrities participated in this campaign. Who are these celebrities (one point for each name)?
84 Also in 1999, Vanessa-Mae supported one of these two celebrities in his work and she appeared in an event that was organised by this celebrity. What was this event and what was Vanessa-Mae’s role in this?
85 In 2001, Vanessa-Mae won a prestigious award of MTV Asia. What award did she win?

------------------
Jeliefish

Post by Jeliefish »

Wow! Rojko, did u come up w/ all these questions? u REALLY ARE V-mae's true fan. As much as i wanna win the price, I have to pass this time. However, I'd really like to know the answers to all of them. So, I hope that u'd post the answers after the contest is over.
Gatis
VMF Elite

Post by Gatis »

Really wow, so many questions!
Your the man Rijko!! So let's go! (I hope I will have a time for this)!
Gatis
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

I realise that 85 question for this contest are a lot. You don't have to answer all the questions to participate. Anyone is free to skiop the questions that you don't have an answer to immediately. You can leave it to those questions that you cna answer, if you don't feel like searching or if you don't have the time to do some searching.

But of course, the more questions you answer the better your chances are in winning a price.

Also realise, that the answers to the individual questions are very short.
Gatis
VMF Elite

Post by Gatis »

Some questions are pretty difficult, but that's all the fun! Yeah well it seems I will skip some of them! :)
Gatis
daisyhill
VMF Reg

Post by daisyhill »

Wow, how could you think of so many questions? I'll try my best :p
Canfan

Post by Canfan »

You have done your home-work Rijko.
Street_Rat
VMF Elite

Post by Street_Rat »

when u said u were going to start this, i thaught u were going to give us a few questions, 15 - 20, not 85, so well done on getting the 85 questions.
Street_Rat
--> a simple man with a simple wish
arup75
Veteran

Post by arup75 »

WoW!!!!! What a job Rijko.. :;): Anyway... Tuesdayevning I'm back from a short trip and then I will start... Thanx....
-ThIs MeSsAgE WaS PoStEd By:-

...ArUp, ThE OnE ThAt AlWaYs MaKeS YoU HaPpY...
daisyhill
VMF Reg

Post by daisyhill »

Hi Rijko, I have a question for your Q.35. did you count the latest album? If yes, there should be 7 then.
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

Daisy,

I only counted the 6 newly recorded albums. Collections, alternative versions, and so on, are not included.
changing worlds
Site Admin

Post by changing worlds »

I am a little confused on 35 too (I haven't read all of the questions).

I understand that a recording may be altered by a cover, or by a track ... but this would be only one recording. I know that there are (at least) three labels used by the same company. I count a total of 9, but only 2 excluded based on being collections.

I think I know what your third exclusion is. I am wondering if it really can be considered a collection.
Raistlin

Post by Raistlin »

Hehe Rijko!! Someone would say thaa you're vanessa mae!! I dont know the answer of almost all the answers!! Can you saty to me whre i can find the information of her new electric violin!! i love it!! i waanntt one like theseeee!!!!!!
changing worlds
Site Admin

Post by changing worlds »

Hi Raistlin,

The violins can be found at:

http://www.tedbrewerviolins.com/

As for Rijko being Vanessa-Mae ... they've both been seen near each other by Sebastian of http://www.vanessa-mae.art.pl/.