Post by nhammer »

How many people here play the Violin?
Niccolò Paganini
VMF Reg

Post by Niccolò Paganini »

Never touched a violin b4.
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

I don't play the violin or any other instrument.

An interesting question for a poll. I think there must be 4 or 5 regualrs that play the violin.
Arioch
**VMF Guru**

Post by Arioch »

I play the "Violin player" cd on a regular basis if that counts? :laugh:
Apart from that like Rijko I do not play an instrument, although
I used to play the guitar many many years ago :(
I wonder if i can still play ???
-----Arioch------
(Lord of Chaos)
------Image-----
www.vanessa-mae.co.uk
nhammer

Post by nhammer »

I'm surprised there are not more people who play here. But it is great to see someone like Vanessa Mae take what is sometimes viewed as a "stuffy" instrument and show how fun it can be.
daniel
Veteran

Post by daniel »

Used to touch once in life :D
Atreides
Veteran

Post by Atreides »

Yes, I do play the violin ...

VM got me interested to this instrument with "Violin Player"... which in turn got me interested into classical music. She was the starting point of a major change in my musical taste.

Right now i m learning Devil's Trill Sonata even with the protest of my teacher who thinks i should not tackle sutch a complex piece... it will probably take me another 6 months to complete ... but no pain no gain.

Atre.
nhammer

Post by nhammer »

Great, how long have you played? I am picking it back up with my daughter after I took a 15 year leave from it. I wish I hadn't waited so long. I sure enjoy it though!
changing worlds
Site Admin

Post by changing worlds »

As I posted earlier, I picked one up and tried to demonstrate proper bow techniques for my son who is learning to play. That is the only time I've played a violin (so, my answer is 'no').

I played saxophones for about seven years, but can no longer play.
Atreides
Veteran

Post by Atreides »

Well nhammer ...I ve been playing for less then a year. I picked it up after loosing my job due to the dot com flop. Since i am financially secure I decided to take a sabatical. I ve invested ALOTH of time into violin playing in the last months.

You must think i am completely nuts trying to learn one of the most difficult violin piece there is. But i belive that anything can be acheived as long as you are ready to do what it takes.

Well ... back to practicing ...

Atre.
nhammer

Post by nhammer »

Good attitude! I was grateful Vanessa mae posted the sheet music to some of her songs on her website so I can follow along and see the music as she plays that will be helpful for learning some of the songs.

Good luck and have fun!!!
Arioch
**VMF Guru**

Post by Arioch »

I have thought about buying one of those cheap violins off
ebay just to see if I can get into it, and to also have it has
the main centre piece for my Vanessa-Mae Display that i'm
planning.
But I do not know if they are much cop?

I would be glad of any advice off you loverly people! :grouphug:
-----Arioch------
(Lord of Chaos)
------Image-----
www.vanessa-mae.co.uk
Atreides
Veteran

Post by Atreides »

Could you define cheap ? (price range)

What are you looking for ? (Electrical, Classical, Baroque , Amplified ...)

In Canada you can get a decent entry level electrical violin for about 700$ Fender and Yamaha are I think the best choices in that cathegory. Altought you might not want to keep the original strings on.

For a decent Classical student level violin you should expect to pay around 500$.

For a good Classical Student level violin the price will vary between 2000$ and 3000$. Above that you are entering the professionnal grade.

If you are looking for an electrical violin, ebay might be a good place to look for a good deal. Since most electrical violin sound does not depend on the quality / craftmanship of the violin's body the chances of getting a useless piece of crap are slim.

Personally i would not buy a classical violin on ebay. I want to be able to try it out, listen to its sound , see how it handles, and see if i enjoy playing on it. All violins have their own personalities ... ... ...

If all you want is something to display with your collection, then by all means go for it . But if you realy want to learn to play, I would advice you to spend a bit more money and buy instrument that will be able to follow your progession for a few months/years.

It is also possible to rent violins. Decent classical student violins rents for about 30$ per month. This might be your best choice if you want to try it out but dont want to spend 500$ to 1000$ on something you are not sure to like.

Atre.

P.S. All prices whre in CND ... multiply by 0.75 to have them in USD
Arioch
**VMF Guru**

Post by Arioch »

Thank you Atreides,

I will take your advice, I will (as soon as i get the Chance) visit my
local Music shop to see what they can do for me.
-----Arioch------
(Lord of Chaos)
------Image-----
www.vanessa-mae.co.uk
nhammer

Post by nhammer »

Arioch wrote:I have thought about buying one of those cheap violins off
ebay just to see if I can get into it, and to also have it has
the main centre piece for my Vanessa-Mae Display that i'm
planning.
But I do not know if they are much cop?

I would be glad of any advice off you loverly people! :grouphug:
I have started both my kids playing the violin. My 3 year old, I got a very cheap (US$75) violin. For him, I wanted him something to hold and play with. For my 6 year old I went with a used Suzuki model which was probably worth around $200 but then had some damage in repair. The instrument played well and had a better sound and was easier to play than the cheap one. She now is playing a "Euro" which is from Rumania and it is worth about $500 retail and is a very fine student instrument. It is beautiful and has a great tone.

It boils down to if you learn what to look for you wont be taken advantage of and you usually get what you pay for. But I wholeheartedly understand your desire to not spend a lot when determining if it is something you will enjoy.