No.
49%
I used to but haven't for along time.
5%

Total votes: 43

Atreides
Veteran

Post by Atreides »

I will (as soon as i get the Chance) visit my local music shop to see what they can do for me.
I dont know how it is in England , but if its anything like music shops in Canada ... Don't ....

You should find a luthier or shop specialized for violins, you will get better price and better quality instrument. And the pple there will actually know what they are talking about. You wont have a Jimmy Handrix wanna be as a sales man trying to sell ya anything. Let's face it, the violin is not a common instrument and most music shop dont have qualified personnel to evaluate or sell them.

Might be a good idea to go there with someone that can play and know a few things about violins too ... like your teacher ...

Atre.
nhammer

Post by nhammer »

That is a good point...a violin teacher will have good resources and know of reputable dealers. Don't be afraid of buying a used instrument...its not like buying someone's old shoes. If an instrument is taken care of it can acually APPRECIATE in value. Newer is not always better. A violin teacher may also know of students who are upgrading to a better instrument and are willing to sell theirs.

For me locally there is a Violin maker/violin making school Peter Prier Violins who make there own (high quality) but also have a student program where you can buy an instrument and resell it back to them for the purchase price less a small fee ($50-100) when you choose to upgrade to a different instrument.

The above link also has some information on choosing violins.
Kevin
VMF Elite

Post by Kevin »

Vote: Violin Player - YES I AM
alyssa

Post by alyssa »

me too... i play violin and piano....

i 1st took up violin when i brought vanessa mae violin player cd... and straight away fall in love with the album... and decided to take up violin since then... i never regret taking up and i cant live without playing violin... itz like part of me now... so vanessa is alwaz the 1 i look up too! u r my inspiration... continue to provide great music to the world... we all love ya!

alyssa
Delavega

Post by Delavega »

Hi, I do play the violin but I'm not skill full like our girl :o)

I can ensure you all that's very difficult to play like her, and that her expression is always totally perfect, even during concerts! She's great, I think the best violin player known in the whole world... wow!

Diego De La Vega

aka
El Modesto
Diego De La Vega

aka

El Modesto
Delavega

Post by Delavega »

I've seen that someone was looking for a cheap violin.
Here (in Italy) I've found an excellent one (not used) for 150€.
It's a 4/4 one and my teacher has asked me if it's been made by a lutist.
I think that it's available all over the world, in any music store.
It sounds very well (better when my teacher is its player) and include a piece of pitch, the bow and its own case.
I don't want to sell mine... but I can check if there's still one available for that member who's looking for a violin if he's still interested.
Diego De La Vega
aka
El Modesto
Diego De La Vega

aka

El Modesto
whygodwhy86
VMF Reg
Location: Kirkby-in-Ashfield, near Mansfield, near Nottingham.

Post by whygodwhy86 »

I have played the violin for 9 years now (half my life).

I'm not sure what make my violin is, I just know it cost £2000. I have an electric violin, a fender FV1, which cost $350 from arizona. My partner at the time bought it for me. I may take the advice and change the strings though, the sound quality is awful, I don't play it much, it makes me depressed because it doesn't sound nice...

I play in an orchestra and I would recommend it to anyone, it is so much more fun to playing on your own, just the sound you can make all together, and you listen and think, "yeah, I'm part of that, it wouldn't sound quite the same if I wasn't here." It's a real buzz.

Good choice for a poll btw!

Laura of the UK
xxxxx
Love ya lots and lots like jelly tots and vodka shots! :D
agat

Post by agat »

I have played the violin for 10 years. I start the play when I was 5 years old. In my family played my mother (violin) and her sister (piano). My Violin is signed 1932 year of production in Germany, but don’t know its factory. I play in the school orchestra.
Agnes
Magnetro2k

Post by Magnetro2k »

Nay, I don't it seems to hard, I'm trying to learn at least one instruement because stuff like that facinates me.
tomm4004

Post by tomm4004 »

I have zero musical talent, so I tend to be in awe of people that do. I don't know how they can remember all those notes.

My uncle played violin in an orchestra and we went to see them when Scott and Lara St. John were the soloists (or duoists I suppose!). Anyway, they were only kids but they played without any music. I couldn't believe it. I can barely remember by phone number.
aventine
Site Admin

Post by aventine »

Hey, anyone who wants to start learning the violin - I suggest starting on an acoustic before electric. I'm sure most members here who play will back me up on this! Yeah, get a cheap one if you want to try it out first - you can use it as firewood later when you decide you want to carry on with it and get a decent violin.

Unlike guitar, or piano, it will sound terrible until you can actually play! (Yeah, we can get away with strumming 3 chords or even bashing out chords on a piano). But the thing with violins is that you can play horribly out of tune, and it will be noticeable even to the untrained ear, lol.

In saying that, maybe one of those yamaha silent violins aren't a bad idea... :laugh:

But seriously, it's really exciting and fun after you get through the first 10 lessons and actually make some progress, and you add a little vibrato and start to hear yourself sound a little like Vanessa-Mae... ok maybe not, but it's a great feeling when you can actually play a note without squeaking.

Music isn't that hard to read, although I think it's much easier for people who started on piano first. I think pianists are the best music readers out there. Violinists don't read bass clefs all that fluently, hehe.

I'd highly recommend piano as a first instrument though. That's what Vanessa-Mae did.
Hande

Post by Hande »

I do play the violin for 2 years (I'm 16 years old) :(
karen

Post by karen »

i've been playing the violin for 9 years now...but im not that good yet! it's because i don't practice! hahaha...

stradivarius violins are good ones - of course
hofner violins are okay too
china violins are not recommended

i have a 3 violins: one made in china, one made in germany and another one which i dont know where it was made but sounds teriffic!
the sound quality improves when the instrument is used often

dominant thomastik strings are what i use and pirastro strings are recommended but they're expensive.. =D
Karen
aventine
Site Admin

Post by aventine »

dominant thomastik strings are what i use
Same here! Pretty good strings for the not so rich student. :wink:
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

I own a violin but cannot play it yet. I must concentrate on guitar. Ironically I am learning a lot of music for violin and playing it on guitar.