Bach street  prelude

Post reviews on concerts, albums, and anything else.
susie

Post by susie »

Hello,
I've got some questions!
How do you like VM'S "Bach street prelude"? What's great and what's bad. What do you critizise? And what's the thing you would already said?

thx for your comments, susie
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

Well I've seen Vanessa-Mae play the Bach Street Prelude live on stage in concert 4 times, and on all occasions I found it one of the most enjoyable pieces of the evening.

I absolutely love to see and hear Vanessa-Mae play Bach Street Prelude. It is such an energetic, vibrant and inspiring music as Vanessa-Mae plays it. It is clear that Vanessa-Mae enjoys it herself very much to play it.

Live on stage with this piece, Vanessa-Mae is only accompanied by some minor percussion, or in case during the Storm concert by a percusionist using pots and pans as his drum tools. Vanessa-Mae and the percusionist really bring the best out of eachother in a wonderful and very impressive ensemble.

Also during her 'Alternative Classical' tour, Vanessa-Mae played the original 1st movement of the Partita by Bach. I have only seen this on video, but she shows the same energetic brilliance in the original by Bach as she does in her own modern version, the Bach Street Prelude.

I absolutely love both versions!!

Susie, what is your opnion on the Bach Street Prelude?

BTW, welcome in this online community for fans of Vanessa-Mae!!

Edited By Rijko Ebens on 1077569368
Atreides
Veteran

Post by Atreides »

I'll have to agree and disagree with Rijko on that one.

Bach Street Prelude is on of my favorite that make my top 5 VM list. I find it to be a very playfull and engaging remake of that classical piece. She did not alter the origial spirit of the piece, she simply improved on it, extracting its full potential.

As for her original version of the Bach Partita #3 preludio well ... I have heard 2 version of the original preludio by VM, one on the "Classical Album 1" and one in the "Alternative concert".

The version on the "Classical Album 1" is a "better then avrage" interpretation. Her playing is very constant and solid, but i think she failed to get out of that piece everything she could have. Her playing might be a little too neutral. But if you like the VM sound, you will adore that version for sure.

As for the one in the "Alternative Concert" well ... Once again I found her playing to be neutral and lacking life. And at some point she seemed to be rushing trought the piece. But once again, an enjoyable interpretation.

If you want outstanding interpretation of the original version i would recommend you the ones by Nathan Milstein or Christian Tetzlaff.

I dont think you will find mutch criticism about VM work in here susie, since we are all fans.

Atre
eva03
VMF Elite

Post by eva03 »

i love bach st. prelude because it sounds fresh and happy! the original version found in the classical album 1 is very good too. hilary hahn's version of the prelude is good too but sounds too serious and a bit sad.
Kevin
VMF Elite

Post by Kevin »

I have to agree, and disagree with Atreides.

I personally feel that her Preludio on the Alternative concert was the best interpretation that I've heard from HER.

Bach Street Prelude is a fun piece, I wouldnt call it really creative though, because she just added some percussion to it.
amQhr
VMF Elite

Post by amQhr »

Win a voyage with Bach in a Black Taxi through London