Vanessa-Mae: the alternative classical concert

Post reviews on concerts, albums, and anything else.
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

Vanessa-Mae: Improvising at the impromptu Alternative Classical Concert

In January 1997, Vanessa-Mae scheduled to take her German Classical tour to the UK. In Germany, Vanessa-Mae was accompanied by the Bratislava Radio symphony Orchestra conducted by Bruno Membrey. At the eve of her UK tour, the British labour Department decided to refuse work permits for the orchestra members because in their opinion, Vanessa-Mae could and should have asked a UK orchestra to accompany her on this tour of concerts. The labour department came to this decision after the union of classical musicians filed a complaint to the request for work permits.

Vanessa-Mae, undaunted by this unexpected setback, organised a small occasional band of friendly classical and pop musicians, completed with her mother on piano to play an impromptu alternative classical program. The concert in Birmingham of this tour was recorded and televised. This concert clearly shows the power that Vanessa-Mae successfully created during this tour and by which she rewarded the trust and faith that the people gave her by coming to a concert that had a completely different line-up and program than the originally planned concert they bought expensive tickets for.

For this first piece of music, Vanessa-Mae was dressed in a wonderful white long dress. She had only a nice necklace as jewellery. During the whole concert, Vanessa-Mae was shown very often in close-up. Her face was beautifully made up to a nice smooth complexion with a very natural coloured lipstick, heavy dark eye shadow and black mascara. Vanessa-Mae had a very natural look and I found it all very beautiful.

These close-ups also showed Vanessa-Mae’s hands and fingers during her play. Her exceptional technique is clearly visible during these moments. It is very impressive to see.

The concert started with Beethoven’s ‘Romance in F.’ For this concert, Vanessa-Mae played it accompanied by only two pianists, of which one was her mother, instead of a full symphony orchestra. This gives the piece a complete different character. The original piece is really sweet and romantic. This special version is musically more unpolished, but Vanessa-Mae and the pianists managed very well to make it a unity in its own. I like this version very much and it would be nice if Vanessa-Mae would record this one time. I think that with this version, Vanessa-Mae adds something new to this piece.

The most impressive part of the concert is by no means the first movement ‘Preludio’ of the Partita no 3 in E for solo violin by J.S. Bach. Vanessa-Mae is really at her best during this part of the concert. She played it very energetically and fiercely, showing all her technical skills. In my opinion, Vanessa-Mae’s recorded version of this Partita is one of the best there is, but live on stage she even manages to add something to it, proving that she is indeed a wonderful and extraordinary live performer. I saw in this concert version the same joy, devotion and energy as I witnessed several times seeing Vanessa-Mae play ‘Bach Street Prelude’ live on stage. For this part of the concert, Vanessa-Mae was dressed in a very fine black long dress.

For the rest of the concert Vanessa-Mae changed into that spectacular long yellow dress. She is so magnificent in this outfit.

Brahms ‘Scherzo’ also impressed me. Vanessa-Mae was only accompanied by her mother on piano. Vanessa-Mae’s fiercely and powerful play prevented that the loud piano to overshadow her sound of the violin. This is a real sign of her mature, charismatic and directing way of playing: a proof that she is a wonderful gifted player.

I heard Vanessa-Mae play Paganini’s ‘Cantabile’ at her Four Seasons concert in Hamburg. It has a nice duet in it with a guitar. It is very sensitively played, romantic and sweet. A beautiful piece of music; I like it a lot!

I noticed that Vanessa-Mae used sheet music during Piazzolla’s Fugata, Rossini’s sonata and Schubert’s quintet. Apparently, these two pieces were newly added to her repertoire for this impromptu concert. I had never heard these pieces before, but I like them very much. These three pieces also features Vanessa-Mae in two roles. Firstly, she takes her part in the performance of a small string ensemble and secondly playing the role of the solo violinist when required and necessary. She has a natural authority and charisma to fulfil both roles. Also, Vanessa-Mae gives her friend and tutorVasko Vassilev the opportunity to excel as second violinist in the ensemble. Vasko Vassilev is a very gifted and technically skilled violinist. I think the audience especially love the Piazzolla music very much. It was new and unexpected for the audience. These are really nice items to have in a concert. A good choice of Vanessa-Mae and she showed that she has something to say in that music too.

Classical Gas reggae version is really sheer joy for Vanessa-Mae. It is very obvious that she is having a great time enjoying herself playing this piece.

Toccata and Fugue is adequately played as always. The audience loves the music and always loves her playing it.

Red Hot was a mix of the pop and orchestral symphonic version. A new version in an old familiar song and that is always alright. Vanessa-Mae should record it.

I will add my impression on ‘I Am A Doun’ to this review as soon as I have seen it.

All in all, a spectacular concert by our Vanessa-Mae. With this performance, She really silenced the classical purists that questioned her technical skills and saying power on the violin.

Bravo and thank you Vanessa-Mae for daring to go along with this tour of concerts. I have just one urgent request: please make this concert commercially available on videotape and dvd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
amQhr
VMF Elite

Post by amQhr »

dEAR Rijko,
Very excellent review of the concert of our Lady with her nobly nostrils, royal black hair of splendour and her dark eyes of heaven. The classical gas is really funny to hEAR in this sensible arrangement. I wonder if Piazzolla's music is the Backgroundmusic of the "Vanessa in Argentine" Videoclip. It sounds very fine and romantic. Is it played from Vanessa herself?

Good luck with yQhr further parts of review "Qin Johnny". You must have made some english-lessons very well.
So Qin, Qin, Qin, yQhr amQhr
Ever an opnEAR
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

Here are my additional remarks on 'I Am A Doun.'

I really like this piece very much. Vanessa-Mae played it all the concerts of her that I attended so far. The video clip that goes with this number is also my favourite Vanessa-Mae videoclip. I like the setting of the clip and the gorgeous dress and very heavy make-up Vanessa-Mae is wearing in that clip.

Vanessa-Mae always plays this song in more or less the same way at all her concerts. I hope she will find some ways to experiment in this during the next concerts. As an example, Vanessa-Mae played the piano while singing the intro during her classical concert in Hamburg.

I am impressed by the close-up in this concert when Vanessa-Mae was singing the intro. She is so gorgeous and her heavy dark eyeshadow looks fabulous then.

I always like this song so much. It is brilliant!!
arup75
Veteran

Post by arup75 »

I'm a doun is indeed also one of my favourites songs...
-ThIs MeSsAgE WaS PoStEd By:-

...ArUp, ThE OnE ThAt AlWaYs MaKeS YoU HaPpY...
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

Thank you for this review, Rijko. I had never even heard of this concert before. I wish everything like this was available on official DVD, but I think there is very little chance of that :(