VM Live in Hong Kong - It's absolutely LIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post reviews on concerts, albums, and anything else.
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

Vanessa-Mae used pedals for several songs during her concerts in Zurich and Berlin. I have to check in my notes which songs she used them.
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

Here is the text of an article on her cocnert that I found:

---------------

Dateline: HONG KONG Electrical glitches disappointed both fans and star during a concert by violin prodigy Vanessa-Mae, though the 23-year-old soldiered on using an acoustic violin.
It was an oddity for a place that bills itself as a "city of light, " where electricity is lavished on a sparkling night skyline and public buildings and buses are kept at deep-chill temperatures.

After a half-hour late start Thursday night, the virtuoso and her crew spent five minutes trying to fix problems with her trademark electric violin. At one point, only the front-row seats could hear as Vanessa-Mae played without amplification for about five minutes.

Fans got fidgety and Vanessa-Mae, shimmering in a sequined halter- top and low-rider, skintight jeans, showed her own frustration, grimacing and saying "No" to those behind her on the stage. Giving up on the electric violin, she switched to an acoustic instrument and carried on.

The Thai-Chinese beauty, one of the best-selling violinists in years, apologized several times, although the problems were less severe in the second half of the concert.

"It's been a long, long night. Not because I played that much but because there's been a lot of technical hitches," Vanessa-Mae said. "I want to thank you for being such an understanding and patient audience."

Phone calls to the event organizer, CSS International, went unanswered Friday morning.

It was the first concert here in five years for Vanessa-Mae, who was born in Singapore but raised in London and made her professional debut at age 10.

Author not available, Vanessa-Mae concert marred by technical hitches. , AP Worldstream, 09-20-2002.
-----------------
daisyhill
VMF Reg

Post by daisyhill »

Hey guys, this is terrible. Her promoter told a reporter that her violin failed to work here simply b'cos her British team forgot to plug it in. If this is true, I'm pretty worried for the rest of her Tour. A human error like this is inexcusable. The same crew must have worked with her in Europe right? How could anybody just forget to plug in the violin in a big concert???? And if it was just the plug-in problem, why would they have taken almost 20 mins to fix it? Any comment? I would feel much better if the problem had been with the electronic devices.
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

This is terrible indeed, if it is true. I think her crew expected a major failure of the electric device and from tis only a simple human error was the last thing that came across their mind.

I suppose that our Vanessa-Mae was furious when she found out about this after the concert. I can imagine that some tough words have been said then.

Hopefully all the crew are anxiosly trying to avoid that something really stupid like this to happen again.
Kevin
VMF Elite

Post by Kevin »

Im pretty sure this person got repremanded severly (prolly lost a job)
daisyhill
VMF Reg

Post by daisyhill »

Here's some more info on the story. Her promoter said, "They simply had not plugged it in, and that's the responsibility of the back line, Vanessa-Mae's own people from the UK..... Understandably, they looked first at all possible complicated electronic problems and didn't look for the simplest thing. I guess it is a natural reaction. The earpiece and the violin are from the UK and entirely the responsbility of the people from the UK who came with Vanessa-Mae. They are accepting responsbility, it's their equipment."

Meanwhile, Vanessa didn't leave HK immediately after the concert. Instead, she played a private show at the exclusive China Club on the 20th night. The time, the concert went off without a hitch. A statement from Vanessa-Mae's management expressed her "deep regret" for the inconvenience caused by the technical problem. "This turned out to be due to a fault with a cable which was subsequently replaced and the problem cured," the statement said. However, when asked at the private show if the problem was caused by something not being plugged in, Vanessa-Mae's personal assistant Giles Holland said, "our position is that something which was plugged in became not plugged in. I'm not saying it was anything malicious. The crew are extremely professional people". A member of her technical crew described her violin and radio ear-piece as a "high-end" piece of equipment. Her management went on to say that the show continued "to a very successful conclusion with her delighted fans on their feet. Unfortunately with any hi-tech show, even with the best equipment and technicians, problems can occur. In spite of this, the concert was a real success and Vanessa-Mae wishes to thank her fans for their support. A two-hour sound check prior to the show went off without a problem."
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

This type of stupid mistakes should not occur, but time after time they do, unfortunately.

I am glad that it didn't happen because of our Vanessa-Mae. She is not to blame personally, although she is officially responsible for wrong doings of her crew: afterall, these are her people
amQhr
VMF Elite

Post by amQhr »

dEAR Daisy, dEAR Rijko,
Thank you for the nice pictures of Vanessa with her new lippsticktraces.
Ever an opnEAR
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

Hi all,

Here are some more scans made by Daisy of newspaper photos of Vanessa-Mae during her visit to Hong Kong:

http://mirror.fwn.rug.nl/bars....2_5.zip
daisyhill
VMF Reg

Post by daisyhill »

Thanks to Rijko for uploading the pictures. The newspapers were photocopied from the library, so they don't look too good after the scanning. The first 2 pics are from the net.
changing worlds
Site Admin

Post by changing worlds »

Did I miss this link somewhere? This has got to be the worst write up on the concert:

News24

:angry:
daisyhill
VMF Reg

Post by daisyhill »

We've got this article in google news Joe. This is what I called the twisted report,! If 6 other papers said the audience didn't fidget in spite of technical hitches, how could one paper tell such an awful story. The reporter is not a fan of course but other reporters aren't either. Yet, the others are at least fair to her. As I said in another topic, the chinese papers wouldn't be nice if they don't think she deserved the ovation we gave her.
changing worlds
Site Admin

Post by changing worlds »

OK, so I did miss it somewhere. Rats, I thought I gave the topics a good look. Next time, I'll try the Search button. :;):
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

Reporters look at a concert very differently than the real fans do. A repoerter has to be there because of his profession to write a review. I have read reviews on concerts that made me ask myself the question: have I been really been there too or was I somewhere else.

I think it is very difficult to write in such a way that you adequatley describe the feelings of the fans and at the same time express a balanced and constructive critcism.

Obviously, it is easy to break down an artist and his/hers performance completely, simply because the writer doesn't like the person and because he wants to be negative no matter what.

It happens to all performing artists, including our Vanessa-Mae.
KACD

Post by KACD »

New to this forum but has been a fan for a long time. I also went to the concert in HK. Apart from the first 20 minutes, it was great (especially I sat on the second row). I am however very upset by next day's SCMP. The reporter did not do her any justice whatsoever. I am glad that so many people share the same view.