My review on Vanessa-Mae's concert in the RFH, October 21st

Post reviews on concerts, albums, and anything else.
Xanthippe

My review on Vanessa-Mae's concert in the RFH, October 21st

Post by Xanthippe »

Here is my review on Vanessa-Mae's concert in the Royal Festival Hall on October 21st last week. The text , including program and phots can also be found on my website

Vanessa-Mae live in the RFH: my review

---------------text of the review-----------

A brilliantly and passionately played performance of 'Choreography' dances mixed with oldies by Vanessa-Mae

Although Vanessa-Mae's concert in the Royal Festival Hall on October 21st of 2004 marked already the 5th time that I saw her live in concert, I felt the same enormous tension of extreme high expectations with respect to the technical level of her performance as well as to the emotional satisfaction her personal presentation and physical appearance wold give me, as if it was to be the first time I would see her play live on stage. Each time I witness Vanessa-Mae live on stage, handling her bow in a state of sheer dreaming inner concentration, I experience comparable electrifying emotions conveyed to me. This very evening, Vanessa-Mae played passionately and motivated by the fact that she returned back to the live stages almost two years after the completion of the successful Asian leg of her 'Tour For Change' in November 2002.

For me, it was already almost 3 years ago since the last time that I saw Vanessa-Mae during the European leg of the 'Tour For Change' in Berlin on December 7th 2001. For the present concert, I travelled to London with the idea that I would see Vanessa-Mae from very close at the signing session organised to take place immediately after the show. In addition, I had permission from Giles Holland, Vanessa-Mae's personal assistant, to hand over the traditional birthday present on behalf of the 'Vanessa-Mae Fans Forum' personally to Vanessa-Mae at the signing session. Giles assured me that Vanessa-Mae knew about it and she added: 'Vanessa-Mae will be very happy to receive your wonderful presents.' With all these exceptional high expectations, I went that particular evening to the Royal Festival Hall. The evening has been very rewarding and memorable in every aspect and I preserve precious memories to the event. This review is meant to share my great experiences with colleague fans, especially with those who have equally pronounced feelings of admiration towards our Vanessa-Mae.

The show started with the light dimmed. Vanessa-Mae's appearance on the stage had the same mysterious impact as did the start of her performance during the Classical Brit Awards on last May in The Royal Albert Hall as she started to play 'Sabre Dance' as opener of tonights show.

Vanessa-Mae had a large group of musicians on stage to accompany her through the evening. There was an orchestra consisting of about 20-25 members of the Royal Symphony Orchestra with violins, cellos, contrabasses, flutes, trumpets and drums. There was also a rock band of about 6 people present and two male backing vocalists. The rock band consisted of a guitarist, bass guitarist, drums and a percussionist.

Vanessa-Mae looked awesome, of course as usual. Her long black hair was tied in a ponytail on her back and a few wrapped tails on the sides of her head. She had purple pair of trousers with silver coloured flower design. Vanessa-Mae had a sleeveless top of fine glimmering light garment (silk or some fine synthetic fibre) consisting of four parts of different colours ranging from pink to blue purple. The top was held by pink V-straps tied around her neck with a large pink strap hanging on her back under her ponytail hair. Vanessa-Mae was made up with pink lipstick and fine distinct eyeshadow in various grade of blue to purple. As always, Vanessa-Mae's make-up matched the colours of her clothes perfectly (see the photos shown above). Vanessa-Mae had black shoes with very high spike heels.

As expected, Vanessa-Mae started the concert with 'Sabre Dance' accompanied by the orchestra. 'Sabre Dance' is a brilliant piece to start the concert with. Vanessa-Mae played it so well with a superb support of the orchestra. Vanessa-Mae played very well with high expressive power on her Guadagnini violin. I can not describe the great saying power of expression that Vanessa-Mae shows when she plays her violin: her sound is simple from heaven. I can only recommend the reader to buy a ticket and go to hear for yourself.

Vanessa-Me used her Guadagnini violin for almost the entire concert. The concert was mostly acoustic and classical in nature. During the middle part of the show, Vanessa-Mae played a selection of music from her previous albums for which she also used the electric Zeta violin. She held several short speeches in her own typical style of her somehow naive charming girly English to explain or introduce her music.

After 'sabre Dance,' Vanessa-Mae welcomed the audience and explained why she felt so good to be on stage again after a break of almost two years. Next, she played 'Havanna Slide.' This piece was played very energetically by both Vanessa-Mae and the orchestra. The music is entertaining and joyfull.

Then, Vanessa-Mae told that she would like to play 'Bolero,' and that this particular music is very close to her heart because of the Spanish nature that is expressed by the fine rhythm and collaboration between the various type of instruments. Vanessa-Mae then explained that before playing the 'Bolero,' she would play 'Roxannes Veil' composed by a very special man, Vangelis, and that she felt proud that he composed this piece for her. 'Roxannes Veil' was played beautifully by Vanessa-Mae; the violin part is so wonderful. At first listening to the recording, I felt some reservations regarding this piece but this soon vanished upon further examination. After hearing it live now, I am completely devoted to this brilliant composition. From now on, I will remember and feel again the same emotion as I felt that evening when hearing the crystal clear sound of Vanessa-Mae Guadagnini violin in a subtle and refined mixture with the softly playing orchestra and band. I was so impressed with and pleasantly surprised with this result.

The 'Bolero' is one of my favourites on the album 'Choreography' and it turned out to be a great piece for a live performance handled very well by Vanessa-Mae in combination with the orchestra. The seductive nature of the music is well expressed by the way Vanessa-Mae and the orchestra use all the dynamic power of their instruments. Vanessa-Mae played extremely well and with full passion to bring the music to her best of her abilities and she succeeded with ease in this.

At this point in my review, I want to say something on Vanessa-Mae's style of playing, pose and body language while playing. During classical concerts, Vanessa-Mae is standing still and right up, her upper body only slowly moving on the rhythm of the music she is playing. Her face shows no sign of how difficult the music is, but the deepest concentration as if she is in another world, complete into herself: nothing exists around her, it is only herself, the music and her instrument. Looking to Vanessa-Mae when she is playing gives impression that playing the violin is easy and far from the difficult art it is said to be. I am always so impressed when I see her play live on stage in front of me. Regardless what she is playing, it is always a joy to see Vanessa-Mae play her violin live on stage. She is obviously the master of her instrument, standing above the music she is playing.

After the 'Bolero' came 'Solace' from her previous album 'Subject To Change.' 'Solace' is a piece with a wonderful emotional violin part. This song is my favourite on the STC album. Then another favourite of mine, 'Tango' from the new album was played. 'Tango' is a great piece; the violin part brings the inherent nature of the Tango to life.

Then Vanessa-Mae told the audience how strange she felt being responsible, at least partly, for the birth of a whole new musical style called now classical crossover, but that she wanted to develop further beyond this image. Nevertheless she said that the old material of her previous albums will remain close to her heart always as she also realised that is will always be popular among her fans. She explained that she now would start a section within the show that would consist of old material and that she would use her electric violin for this. Vanessa-Mae went to a table and changed her Guadagnine for a grey Zeta violin. After some tuning, she started to play 'Laughing Buddha.' I have always found 'Laughing Buddha' a strange piece. I like it but have never been able to really translate to music into a story or images for myself in order to give a meaning and motive. I like the piece, but it remains mysterious to me about its inherent sense. The next piece was 'Hocus Pocus' composed by the Dutch rock band Focus (Thijs van Leer and Jan Akkerman). In the original, Thijs van Leer plays flute and has the vocals. Vanessa-Mae mimics van Leers role brilliantly on her electric violin. For both songs 'Laughing Buddha' and 'Hocus Pocus,' Vanessa-Mae used pedals that were placed on the stage to activate certain sound effects for her electric violin. The supporting rock band played very well too. Then Vanessa-Mae had a short speech again and next she played 'Clear Like Ice,' a beautiful quiet piece, and 'Retro.'

She then explained that the next song was an ever must in each of her concerts because with this song her career really took off and all her audiences loved to see her play it live on stage ever since. Of course, Vanessa-Mae meant 'Toccate & Fugue.' Both the rock band as well as the string parts of the orchestra joined in playing this very recognisable oldie that really defined Vanessa-Mae as the first ever successful classical crossover artist. I have seen her play this music in all the concerts that I attended and it has always been received by the audiences with great appreciation resulting in rewarding ovations. Then, Vanessa-Mae started to play 'I Am A Doun.' For this nights concert, she skipped her vocal introduction and started with her violin part immediately accompanied by the band and the two male vocalists.

Then, she held a short speech again to introduce 'Bach Street Prelude.' 'Bach Street Prelude' is really one of my all time favourites to see her play at live shows. Vanessa-Mae always plays it with so much joy, passion and energy, well driven and highly motivated. The duet of her violin with the percussion work on all kind of bells, drums, kits and sticks, or virtually anything that makes a some kind of noise on being moved or tapped against another object can be used and has been used during this wonderful paying together. For this show, Vanessa-Mae was seated on the edge of the stage opposite of the percussionist that started to use his toys to accompany Vanessa-Mae on her violin. Both had so much joy in playing this piece, as Vanessa-Mae smiled constantly towards her percussionist who smiled back occasionally. Towards the end of the song, Vanessa-Mae was seated on her knees at the edge of the stage. The audience rewarded both with a long lasting grateful ovation for this exceptional performance. I find it such a joy when Vanessa-Mae starts to play this particular piece; 'Bach Street Prelude' is one of the highlights of her live shows. 'I Am A Doun' and 'Bach Street Prelude' were p[layed by Vanessa-Mae on her acoustic violin.

After this intermezzo of oldies, Vanessa-Mae returned to present music by playing 'Emerald Tiger,' 'Raga's Dance' and Morrocan Roll.' The orchestra played the leading role in accompanying Vanessa-Mae on her acoustic violin for all these three songs. 'Emerald Tiger' has such a strong expressive violin part, exceptionally well played by Vanessa-Mae. The same holds more or less for 'Moroccan Roll.' I like both pieces very much. 'Raga's Dance' is a strange piece because of the outspoken Indian atmosphere that must be expressed. I missed the vocals a bit, because only two backing vocalists were present which rendered a low profile in this setting. Nevertheless, I liked this version but had somehow expected a little more fireworks form this. Vanessa-Mae played beautifully of course.

Then the finale of the concert approached rapidly. 'Storm' was as spectacular as always in all Vanessa-Mae's live shows. 'Storm' is a must for all Vanessa-Mae's concerts. In my opinion, she should never skip it from her program. To be honest, I can't imagine that she ever will. 'Storm' is such a magnificent music; very dynamic and full of expression and so characteristic for everything Vanessa-Mae stands for musically.

Then there were only encores with 'Sabre Dance and 'Storm' once more. The end of yet another brilliant and memorable concert of Vanessa-Mae that I attended.

The signing session

It was announced that Vanessa-Mae would sign her new album in the foyer of the Royal Festival Hall shortly after her concert. In the cd store of the venue, almost all copies of 'Choreography' had been sold already before the concert. The foyer was crowded with people who wanted to see Vanessa-Mae and have their copy signed. A long queue of fans was waiting for Vanessa-Mae to show up. A table for Vanessa-Mae to sign her albums was placed in front of card boards with 'Choreography' posters. After a short while Vanessa-Mae took place standing behind the table surrounded by security people. She rejected the chair and preferred to stand during the session. She was now wearing a tight fitting short dress with straps over her shoulders and open round neck.

When it was my turn, I approached the table. I impressed by the energy and strength Vanessa-Mae radiates despite her only small and very tiny posture. She is incredible gorgeous blessed with an impeccable skin. Her face is, of course completely made up, not overdone but very nice in enhancing the natural beauty of her perfectly smooth skin.

I complimented her on the brilliant concert and her fine play, and said that I found the music on her new album very impressive and beautiful. I told her the new album was well received among her best fans. She thanked me for the compliments by saying: 'thank you that is nice to hear.'

I then told her that I represented the 'Vanessa-Mae Fans Forum' and that we had a present for her upcoming 26th birthday. Vanessa-Mae smiled and said: 'oh yeah the fan club, I know.' I briefly showed her the birthday greeting cards, our letter and the amulets. I explained to her that these amulets were meant to provide her with the 'spiritual guidance and protection' of her best fans in this dangerous world. I then asked her attention for the list with submitted question and asked her whether she would be so kind to answer them for us. She smiled and promised that she would take care that her answers would be delivered to us.

Then I asked her to sign my 'Choreography' booklet. Without thinking, she draw a heart in it, together with three crosses, and then placed her signature below it.

I feel very privileged to have seen Vanessa-Mae from so close and having been able to talk to her, yet only briefly. But I certainly feel privileged too to have been rewarded by her with the drawn heart in my booklet, which I see as a clear sign of her appreciation for our annual birthday presents, and continued support for her music and for her as a person.
eva03
VMF Elite

Post by eva03 »

EXCELLENT review Rijko! Thanks! :clap:
amQhr
VMF Elite

Excellent indeed

Post by amQhr »

Indeed an EXCELLENT review of the concert as far as I could judge. I loved to imagine beeing present myself. Wouldn't you read it loud???
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

thanks eva, amQhr.

amQhr, I hope that you will be able to see her next year in Frankfurt. Do you plan to go to the concert?
amQhr
VMF Elite

opera for the old - tickets

Post by amQhr »

Oh yeah Rijko I'll try to take a seat as soon as I got the tickets. I try to get them over "Kartenhaus.de". They are still working on the tickets for the old opera Frankfurt. Tickets for Dresden, Berlin, Baden-Baden are available allready. Tickets for Frankfurt are in prepare. Perhaps we may see us in the "Mövenpick" drinking some Piazolla-Cafe?! You should have asked her if she would take you with her tourbus because as fas as she should know you won't miss none of her concerts with her excellent Qhrchestra.

Ever an opnEAR, yQhr amQhr
Arioch
**VMF Guru**

Post by Arioch »

Wonderful and warming review my friend, You love for our Noodles
shows up strong with in your words.
As i have said before
You have waited a decade for this wonderful oppertunity and I am glad
that it has finally arrived for you, with the work that you have done for our
community you surely have earned it.

Great stuff Rijko :wink:
It's a day for you to remember
-----Arioch------
(Lord of Chaos)
------Image-----
www.vanessa-mae.co.uk
Arioch
**VMF Guru**

the Independent : review

Post by Arioch »

Here is a scan of a review taken out of a London News paper..

The Independent
-----Arioch------
(Lord of Chaos)
------Image-----
www.vanessa-mae.co.uk