Review on 'China Girl: The Classical Album 2'

Post reviews on concerts, albums, and anything else.
Xanthippe

Review on 'China Girl: The Classical Album 2'

Post by Xanthippe »

I placed a review on Vanessa-Mae's album 'China Girl' on my website, see:

Review on 'China Girl'

'China Girl' is an underestimated album, in my opinion. I think that 'China Girl' became overshadowed by 'Storm' that was relased in about the same period.

China Girl is the reflection of Vanessa-Mae's search for her chineseness that was initiated by the death of her Chinese Grandfather in 1994.

Best known form this album is Happy Valley that was composed by Vanessa-Mae in collaboration with Andy Hill. This piece was described by Vanessa-Mae as 'a song of hope and a dance of joy.'

'China Girl' is a brilliant album in my opinion. Epic, sweet and romantic are the best words to describe 'China Girl.'

I hope others will post their opinions on this album 'China Girl.'
eva03
VMF Elite

Post by eva03 »

I finally have China Girl. I got it on December 6, Monday last week. I think it's her best classical album. :wink:
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

eva, I am glad that you like 'China Girl.' It is certainly a superb album. I agree completely.

Are there any others who like to tell us their opinion?
Arioch
**VMF Guru**

Post by Arioch »

I love and adore China Girl i think it has to be the best work our Noodles
has done.
Vanessa puts so much warm feeling into the music and this is perfectly
passed onto the listener. It is the warm feeling of the love not just for the
love of playing but for the love of her Grandfather.
China Girl is a beautiful piece of music dediated to the love of 2 people
(the Butterfly Lovers) and whose love is torn apart.
I hope that our girl will create another Classical Masterpiece like China Girl
-----Arioch------
(Lord of Chaos)
------Image-----
www.vanessa-mae.co.uk
tomm4004

Post by tomm4004 »

I can't judge China Girl on a critical level since I know little about violin or about other performances of the same music. However, I really love the Butterfly Lovers and play it on my car CD all the time. The melody is one that I never tire of, and I've had it for a few years now. She seems to (to my untrained ear) perform it with passion and great spirit.

My understanding is that the concerto was originally intended to be played on a traditional Chinese instrurment (whatever it's called!) and there are a couple of moments when her violin takes on this characteristic - when it's sounding particularly mournful during the main theme. There's is one note (I think it's a FLAT something - but what do I know) just before the piece speeds up where the violin sounds very sad that is really soothing for some reason on gloomy days!

It is my favourite music of hers and the piece that I play the most.

I also like the Turandot piece. It's a nice complement to the concerto and again has great emotion.

Happy Valley is also a fun piece - although I have no idea what they are saying.

Overall, I really like the CD and it has a different sound to it then I'm used to hearing in "traditional" European-style classical music. I hope she does another one in the same vein.
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

Daisy from Hong Kong provided me with a translation of the words in Happy Valley. I will post it here tomorrow.

Tomm, you just told us very adequately how you feel listening to China Girl. You don't need to be an expert on the violin for that. Thanks for sharing your opnion with us.

It is such fine music and Vanessa-Mae plays it passionately filled with emotions.