Ahn Trio

Anything goes...
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

Anyone familiar with the Ahn Trio sisters?

See:

http://www.ahntrio.com/

I possess three of their albums:

1 Dvorak, Suk, Shostakovich piano trios (their debut album)
2 Ahn-unplugged
3 Groovebox

And i just ordered via www.jpc.de the fourth record Villa-Lobos, Ravel piano trios.

I saw them on German tv in 1998 when the sisters received an award for their debut album.

Lucia plays the piano, angela on violin and Maria on cello. All three are master of their instrument and play very good!
Atreides
Veteran

Post by Atreides »

hummm ... most interesting ... and pretty good website, altought its a bit thin for my taste. Too bad there is no sample available either I would have loved to hear some of their stuff. Guess i ll have to buy some, any suggesting for an introduction album ?

Atre.
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

Atreides,

The album 'Groovebox' has a listening to sample.

I think you just have to look at the tracklisting of all albums and decide from there.

The Groovebox is an interesting album. I features all modern 20th century composed music, including an more or less classical interpretation of the Doors 'Riders on the Storm.'

Also, Shostakovich's 2nd piano trio on the debut album is wonderful music. Vanessa-Mae played the third movement of this trio during all her Red Hot tour concerts. Maybe you remember this from the video Red Hot live at the Royal Albert Hall! This is very exiting music.
Atreides
Veteran

Post by Atreides »

hummm ... very interesting ... , playing Michael Nyman and Astor Piazzolla .... Sold .

BTW check the reviews on amazon.ca
amazon

Atre.
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

OK, here are two tracks of the Grovvebox album as mp3 file.

Piazzolla_Trio_Milonga

Riders_On_The_Storm

I am uploading right now. So give it some another 30 minutes. I'll leave the files available for about one week!

Edited By Rijko Ebens on 1068410764
nhammer

Post by nhammer »

Thanks for posting this. I appreciate learning of other artists out there as well.
Arioch
**VMF Guru**

Post by Arioch »

I've heard a couple of tracks by these 3 stunning young ladies
and i am very impressed, I keep meaning to purchase their CD
collection.

Think I will make a start in December ???
-----Arioch------
(Lord of Chaos)
------Image-----
www.vanessa-mae.co.uk
Glenn
VMF Elite

Post by Glenn »

They are very good. I have seen them perform twice.
As with most classical artist you can greet them after
the show in the lobby. They are Korean, but have lived in the USA most of their lives and are very American and have outgoing personalities. They really do enjoy what they do.

I did not like their Groovebox CD much yet I saw them live play much of it and enjoy it a great deal. I like their unplugged CD.

Certain types of music, like trios, are really best appreciated when seen and heard live. CD just cannot compair. Also I have always have the luck to sit only 3 to 7 meters away so performance has very big immersive impact on me.

You'll have to be in the USA as I think near all their concerts are there.

"Riders in the Storm" from Groovebox
Glenn
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

The Ahn Trio had a few concerts in Germany the past years. I realy hope to see them live in concert sometime!
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

I received the cd with the Villa-Lobos Piano Trio no 1 and the Ravel Piano Trio. I listen to it once and I like it. These three girls are all very good!

This cd was originally released already in 1995 by Chesky Records before the Ahn Trio's 3 cd at the EMI label in 1998, 2000 and 2002.