2 months basic..._ -the violin

For musos and music appreciaters alike, talk about music of any kind from everywhere.
Jason Tee
VMF Reg

2 months basic..._ -the violin

Post by Jason Tee »

hey hey people..

I've been self-learning the violin for 2 months now..
Well..any advices on which simple pieces i should practice more often?
I've been playing the scales, but not that often....

any advices anyone?
I can now read the notes fast....

THanks..
Jason Tee
MSam
VMF Reg

Post by MSam »

Violin is one of the most difficult and technically demanding instruments you can possibly play. Before you start playing, check the basics. Are you holding the bow correctly? Do you have correct posture? If not, fix them immediately. If you wish to play violin seriously, you need to master these properly. If you do not, it may make it absolutely impossible for you to improve in the future.

Sorry, I have no idea what your planning to play with the violin - I just thought you should know that incase you don't know already. It's very frustrating for me, who has been learning violin for several years that my technique could restrict my chances of becoming a professional violinist. Thankfully, we are resolving these issues, and since I'm quite young, it will be slightly easier - not easy at all though.

Okay, but you asked for music - not my advice on skill! For beginners such as your self, check out easy and simple music to start off with. In Australia, we have several beginner series that are very good for just getting the hang of violin. All for Strings, Standard Book of Excellence for Strings and Strings 2000 are all good starting points, so if you see any of those books while shopping for music I recommend any of them for learning points.

To expand your music pieces, check out any old music. If you think you can handle it, give it ago. Another thing you may want to try is listening to your favorite music and trying to figure out the music to that. However, to progress at a good rate, take a look into your country's musical exam board. Over here we have AMEB (Australian Music Examination Board). The AMEB music comes on 12 different levels, so you can pick which ever book suits your skill level. This helps heaps with technical skills, interesting music, aural skills and basically just improving your playing.

Okay, I hope this gives you some info about what you could play. Sorry I'm no expert, but thats how I started working on violin. I wish you luck! :)
karen

Post by karen »

halo!
i suggest you practice etudes and pieces as well.
maybe start out with sevcik then kayser then kreutzer.
suzuki books are good for pieces but don't forget the traditional exercises =)

when you perform.... SMILE! and act confident!
chances are people won't even notice mistakes you might make. hahaha.

oh! and try playing in front of a mirror or a friend so they can tell you if you make weird mannerisms. like moving your mouth while playing hahaha. get rid of awkward habits as soon as possible! =)

SMILE!
Karen
Jason Tee
VMF Reg

Violin Size

Post by Jason Tee »

Hey hey...

I hope i don't have to buy a new violin
cos my current violin size is 3/4,,,

Is it ok? I'm 22 years old..but i'm just about to learn the instrument..

DO i have to throw it away and get a 4/4 violin?

Please..advices..needed

But i'm comfortable and happy with it...
Jason Tee
MSam
VMF Reg

Post by MSam »

Idealy, full size violins (4/4 Size) are most suitable for older players. Take a trip to your local music/string shop, to test out other violins, so you know the feeling of them
DO i have to throw it away and get a 4/4 violin?
No, you most certainly do not. You have several options on what to do with your older violin once you get a new one.

1 - Trade it in (or sell it)
You can trade your older violin in to help pay for the new cost of your new one. I traded my older violin in and I managed to buy my new violin at half price. As your local shop if they except trades.

2 - Don't sell it at all
Just keep your old violin. It's useful if any of your family wish to take up violin, you could lend them one. Or you could keep it for sentimental value - I still have my first one!
I'm comfortable and happy with it.
Then do not worry about it for the moment. If you are having lessons, your teacher will advise you a time where it is most appropriate/useful to get a new one.
===
I'm not a professional at this, I just play violin! But I do hope this helps a bit!
Jason Tee
VMF Reg

Post by Jason Tee »

Okie Dokie... THanks a lot..

By the way..

I'm still having difficulties understanding the art of Vibrato..

I can never get my wrist movement right..
sometimes my violin just shakes along with my hands..

Any tips and tricks? and exercise practice for me to follow?

Help..~~
Jason Tee
eva03
VMF Elite

Post by eva03 »

^Place the violin scroll against a wall. Be in your playing position, and try pulling the violin away from your chin and pushing it towards your chin.

That's the way I practiced vibrato. Hope my instructions are clear. :lol:
MSam
VMF Reg

Post by MSam »

I have a very violent vibrato thanks to my sloppy technique - my run of bad teachers really took a toll on my playing. :roll:

I'm relearning it now - it's not easy either! :?