RE: Two Versions?.....Which does she play?

For musos and music appreciaters alike, talk about music of any kind from everywhere.
CarrollTowerCX

RE: Two Versions?.....Which does she play?

Post by CarrollTowerCX »

While researching the net for topics on Violins, Vanessa-Mae, etc. I ran across this:

I read there were two versions of Paganini's Caprice No. 24, the original by Paganini,and a modified version by Leopold Auer.

The Question is, which version does Vanessa-Mae play? Or does she play both,depending on what fits the current program ?

May she play forever !

CX
New Blue Eyes

Re: RE: Two Versions?.....Which does she play?

Post by New Blue Eyes »

Vanessa-Mae has played the Paganini Caprice #24 new arrangement by Vanessa-Mae and Pamela Nicholson during the Red Hot Tour. The version by Leopold Auer has been circulated in print, but other versions also exist; Ivan Galamian version published in the USA by International Music Company; published by Muzyka (A. Yampolsky) in Moscow; C.F. Peters (Carl Flesch) in Leipzig (ca. 1900); so probably any of those version could have been the one that she used for a pattern (I would put my money on the Carl Flesch edition). The original Paginini mauscript exists (see imslp.org/.../24_Caprices_for_Solo_Violin,_Op.1_(Paganini,_Niccolò), but I am doubtful that Vanessa-Mae in 1994 at the age of 15 and before easy internet access would have had a copy of this manuscript.

NBE
Last edited by New Blue Eyes on Tue May 11, 2010 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
New Blue Eyes, V-M's #1 USA fan!
CarrollTowerCX

Post by CarrollTowerCX »

NBE,

Thank you for the very extensive information on Paganini's Caprice No. 24 and its derivatives. It is most interesting.

CX
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

Vanessa-Mae played a modernized version of Paganini's Caprice No. 24 during her Red Hot Tour in 1995-1996. This was an arrangement by herself and her mother Pamela.

I don't think ever played again since 1995-1996, at least not during her regular concerts.
CarrollTowerCX

Post by CarrollTowerCX »

Xantippe,

Thanks for the information on Vanessa's version of the Caprice #24. I wish she would still play it, for I liked it very much.

May she play forever !

CX
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

My hopes are that Vanessa-Mae will record a Paganini cd one day. The Caprice #24 would, of course, be part of that. All music played in her own arrangements, of course, not just a traditional album, as there so many of already.
CarrollTowerCX wrote:Xantippe,

Thanks for the information on Vanessa's version of the Caprice #24. I wish she would still play it, for I liked it very much.

May she play forever !

CX
CarrollTowerCX

Post by CarrollTowerCX »

Xanthippe,

That would be something to look forward to. An all Paganini cd by the Teeny Paganini herself. I too would prefer it all in her own arrangements. Yes, there are many all Classical renditions already. I prefer her style though.

May she play forever !

CX