HELP tuning

If you are having any technical problems with this forum please ask for help here.
Forum rules
***PLEASE READ*** The forum software for VM.net has undergone a major upgrade as of November 16th, as the former software is now deprecated and will no longer be supported by the author. All information on the current forum has been transferred over. Please PM Benjamin with any feedback you have, and if you notice any bugs or anything else unusual. Many thanks!!
amQhr
VMF Elite

HELP tuning

Post by amQhr »

I got a brand new Violine and never played on such instrument. Can somebody help me to tune my new instrument?

changing worlds
Site Admin

Post by changing worlds »

I picked up one of these for my son years ago. I would recommend asking your local music shop if they carry something similar. I would not recommend an ebay purchase (shipping costs more than the item).

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pocket-Tones-Keyrin ... dZViewItem

There are places on the Internet that offer musical wave files too, but I am not sure if they are accurate.

P.S. Nice looking violin!
amQhr
VMF Elite

Tuning Violine

Post by amQhr »

Thank you joe_mate for the hint. I wanted to ask for Notes of the for strings, that I have to tune. Do you know this?

yQhr amQhr
amQhr
VMF Elite

Violin Tuning

Post by amQhr »

I found the right information on Wikipedia.
ImageImage
Violins are tuned by turning the pegs in the pegbox under the scroll, or by adjusting the fine tuner screws at the tailpiece. All violins have pegs; fine tuners (also called fine adjusters) are optional. Most fine tuners consist of a metal screw that moves a lever to which the string is attached. They permit very small pitch adjustments with much more ease than the pegs.

Fine tuners are usually used with solid metal or composite strings that may be difficult to tune with pegs alone; they are not used with gut strings, which have greater flexibility and don't respond adequately to the very small changes in tension of fine tuners. Some violinists, particularly beginners or those who favor metal strings, use fine tuners on all 4 strings. Others only use a fine tuner with the E string to limit the extent to which the tuners affect the sound of the instrument.

To tune a violin, the A string is first tuned to a standard pitch (usually 440 Hz), using either a tuning device or another instrument. (When accompanying a fixed-pitch instrument such as a piano or accordion, the violin tunes to it.) The other strings are then tuned against each other in intervals of perfect fifths by bowing them in pairs. A minutely higher tuning is sometimes employed for solo playing to give the instrument a brighter sound; conversely, Baroque music is sometimes played using lower tunings to make the violin's sound more gentle. After tuning, the instrument's bridge may be examined to ensure that it is standing straight and centered between the inner nicks of the f holes; a crooked bridge may significantly affect the sound of an otherwise well-made violin.

The tuning G-D-A-E is used for most violin music. Other tunings are occasionally employed; the G string, for example, can be tuned up to A. The use of nonstandard tunings in classical music is known as scordatura; in some folk styles, it is called "cross-tuning." One famous example of scordatura in classical music is Saint-Saëns' Danse Macabre, where the solo violin's E string is tuned down to E flat to impart an eerie dissonance to the composition.

While most violins have four strings, there are some instruments with five, six, or even seven strings. The extra strings on such violins typically are lower in pitch than the G-string; these strings are usually tuned to C, F, and B flat. If the instrument's playing length, or string length from nut to bridge, is equal to that of an ordinary full-scale violin (i.e., a bit less than 13 inches, or 330 mm), then it may be properly termed a violin. Some such instruments are somewhat longer and should be regarded as violas. Violins with five strings or more are often used in jazz or folk music.
MSam
VMF Reg

Post by MSam »

I could of told you that :D

I can tune my violin - had to learn it for my Grade 5 Exam. Just be careful when moving the pegs - make sure that they are loose before you attempt to move them (You may snap the string otherwise) :)
Arioch
**VMF Guru**

Post by Arioch »

amQhr what make is it, and how much is the price and how does it sound?
I really like the look of it and fancy buying one myself :)
-----Arioch------
(Lord of Chaos)
------Image-----
www.vanessa-mae.co.uk
amQhr
VMF Elite

Sweet Violin

Post by amQhr »

dEAR Arioch,
I like this violin very much, but I'm a pure beginner. For me it's the best violin to have and you get it with case, bow, EARphone, Amp-cable, Kolofon and so on.

Here is the Website, where it is described and you get it for 129.- Euro: http://www.emo-shop.de/

Here you get it the cheapest for 98,00 Euro:

http://www.musik-lux.de/