Vanessa-Mae in Korea, December 2004

This is the main lobby for Vanessa-Mae related discussions.

Moderator: zeta

jorgemae

Vanessa-Mae in Korea, December 2004

Post by jorgemae »

VM gave a concert in Korea, in december 6th 2004. You can see pictures from this event in

http://www.vanessa-mae.com.ar/local-cgi ... 1206_korea

And two short videos from korean TV talking about this concert. There you can see VM playing several themes from her latest album Choreography.

http://www.vanessa-mae.com.ar/upload/20 ... orea_1.wmv

http://www.vanessa-mae.com.ar/upload/20 ... orea_2.wmv

I think that two brief videos are the first from that concert. Enjoy them!
Jorgemae
The Vanessa-Mae argentinean fan #1
Buenos Aires, Argentina
foreverred

Post by foreverred »

Why must she continue miming!? That girl is so talented - she doesn't need to pretend. The Ted Brewer violin wasn't even plugged in. How disappointing.
Benji
Site Admin

Post by Benji »

foreverred wrote:Why must she continue miming!? That girl is so talented - she doesn't need to pretend. The Ted Brewer violin wasn't even plugged in. How disappointing.
Agreed 100% ... In fact, I have quite an extensive list of videos (concerts and performances) of Vanessa-Mae, and she mimes probably about 80% of the material I have of her.

The only reason I can think of her doing this is practicality. If she was to play live, it would mean setting up mics and speakers, and all the electronic equipment [which would probably take hours of setup]. But with miming, all she really needs is speakers to play the music tracks, and an earpiece.

Unfortunately, there are a few concerts of her where she has mimed as well; which is unacceptable when people pay to see her. This is my biggest gripe about Vanessa-Mae.
jorgemae

Post by jorgemae »

It is really an interesting matter to talk about. And a topic not so much discussed betwen her fans (we all) .
As a devoted VM fan, it seems that one cannot say negative things of her because it would means to be a bit less fan. If somebody knows that I never think so, it is Rijko. In many letters I said him several things that I think she must change. One of that things is the bad habit of mimic (here, in Argentina, we call it "Play Back").
She is an extremely gifted artist, a solid violinist, she can do it real everywhere. But the true is, as benji said, that she makes mimic a lot.
In the Internet there are many forum of musicians (violinists mainly) and classical music listeners where they really strikes her very hard, talking horrors about her violin playing, her skills and technique. This guys full her mouths talking about Menuhin, heifetz, Zuckerman, all great violinists, of course. This kind of violinists never did mimic, I'm sure. That I means is that she must only and only play LIVE. If aren't the technical conditions to play live, best don't play there. There are a lot of pieces that do not requires the help of electronic equipments, and she could then play them. Skills she have a lot. I'm sure she is one of the best violin players of our century, even though the purists says. This guys are a lot of "closed minds" who thinks that to listen classical music in the purest state get them a superior status social and intelectual. All trash.
All she need to be the better is stop the mimic forever.
Jorgemae
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Benji
Site Admin

Post by Benji »

Rijko Ebens wrote:Miming is not an interesting topic to talk about, IMO.

We discussed it over and over and Benji and I do not agree on this. New points of view and new arguments never emerge.

So I suggest to leave the miming issue behind us forever!
That might be the case between you and I, but I don't think it's fair of you to prevent others from talking about it.

It really isn't about difference of opinion, it's your unacceptance that's really the issue. Actually, there is footage (for example the Dubai concert, where the violin entrance caught Vanessa off guard, and it was obvious that she was miming). You stated that it was a video desync, even though the rest of the video was in sync fine. Not to mention that if it was a video desync, why would Vanessa look confused? Again, this is at one of her own concerts.

--Benji
Last edited by Benji on Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
jorgemae

Vanessa-Mae in Korea, december 2004

Post by jorgemae »

hi all

I feel myself slightly guilty because I start this topic where currently nobody (just my big friend Rijko) says anything about the new stuffs for our collections. For me, at least, to get some VM thing in the net, and not to have to pay nothing for that is an authentic motive of joy. Well, I don't see you happy for to have a two little vids. I think That I posted and shared with all you is not interesting, and more interesting is to see if play live or not.
I'm actually downloading another brief video of VM in CBA nominations, April 21, 2004, and modelling for the photographers in the handing over of these prizes. But I don't now if share it here, because again to know if it is played Live or not will be the most important matter.
Im my post above, I said that it could be an interesting theme to talk about. And I still think so, because is a practice very common in our days, and I would like to know the WHY.
In our spanish forum, this matter was touched several times (just use the tool "Buscar" and type "playback") and you'll see several post. However, we still are fans. I'm not completely agree with VM do it, but it is, as other aspects of her musical career, something that I can tolerate.
And to end, to our friend, the administrator, please let me know if it's necessary to edit or delete my posts in this topic. To help to recover the calm and enjoyment. I guess this kind of sites are to enjoy and share similar tastes. Please, gentlemans, let's go!
Jorgemae
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

xxx
Last edited by Xanthippe on Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
changing worlds
Site Admin

Re: Vanessa-Mae in Korea, december 2004

Post by changing worlds »

[quote="jorgemae"]
And to end, to our friend, the administrator, please let me know if it's necessary to edit or delete my posts in this topic. [/quote]

It is not necessary. I am awaiting one to be deleted. If it is not, I will do more cleaning up.
Benji
Site Admin

Re: Vanessa-Mae in Korea, december 2004

Post by Benji »

jorgemae wrote:hi all

I feel myself slightly guilty because I start this topic where currently nobody (just my big friend Rijko) says anything about the new stuffs for our collections. For me, at least, to get some VM thing in the net, and not to have to pay nothing for that is an authentic motive of joy. Well, I don't see you happy for to have a two little vids. I think That I posted and shared with all you is not interesting, and more interesting is to see if play live or not.
I'm actually downloading another brief video of VM in CBA nominations, April 21, 2004, and modelling for the photographers in the handing over of these prizes. But I don't now if share it here, because again to know if it is played Live or not will be the most important matter.
Im my post above, I said that it could be an interesting theme to talk about. And I still think so, because is a practice very common in our days, and I would like to know the WHY.
In our spanish forum, this matter was touched several times (just use the tool "Buscar" and type "playback") and you'll see several post. However, we still are fans. I'm not completely agree with VM do it, but it is, as other aspects of her musical career, something that I can tolerate.
And to end, to our friend, the administrator, please let me know if it's necessary to edit or delete my posts in this topic. To help to recover the calm and enjoyment. I guess this kind of sites are to enjoy and share similar tastes. Please, gentlemans, let's go!
As was said earlier, it wasn't your fault at all. The miming issue will still come up now and then, especially since it's still being done.

I'm with you when when you state that you don't agree with Vanessa-Mae doing such a thing. I still say that it is done for practical reasons, but I have other musical artists that I follow and they make appearances much like Vanessa-Mae without miming. Perhaps when the next round of questions for Vanessa-Mae is submitted, we should ask her about this.
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

Hey Jorge,

Thanks for the videos. They are very nice. It is wonderful to see your dedication towards our Vanessa-Mae in searching the internet for information, photos and videos.

Many thanks for all your input!

Vanessa-Mae did miming on television appearances and some special show concerts, not on her tour concerts where fans pay a firm price for their tickets. I am sure about that.

Why miming on television and show concerts? I am sure that is a matter of costs, time and opportunity for rehearsals and technical conditions. It costs time and money to make it all perfect; and Vanessa-Mae is a perfectionist!

Suppose Vanesa-Mae asks £50,000 for an appearance in a show where she is willing to play live and undergo a short interview. The organisation offers £20,000 and make it clear that they don't have money to pay more. It is understandable from Vanessa-Mae's point of view that she agrees on visiting the show shortly, play a song to a tape and fly back to London immediately thereafter.

Is that a big deal? Not in my opinion, many artist do it and many not. It is her choice to do it her way.

I would feel betrayed if I visited a highly priced concert and found out that it is all fake. I have seen Vanessa-Mae live in concert myself 6 times and on all occasions she played live for absolutely sure - technical problems with the equipment proof that beyond any doubt too!. Often her concerts start later than scheduled because she rehearses and optimises till shortly before the official start time of the show. The concert starts then sometimes 15-30 minutes later than scheduled since after finishing her sound check Vanessa-Mae, of course, needs to get dressed and have her face made up for the concert.

So this miming is really not a big deal to me. I know she plays live at her concerts and that is all that matters to me!

We can bring this up in the questions submitted to her for this years bday project, but only if it is put in very mildly and nicely. So think careflully how you put it!

I took me several years to gain Vanessa-Mae's trust and under no circumstances will I allow that to be put into danger.

Besides, the bday projects are meant to give us, and definitely Vanessa-Mae herself too, a high feel good emotion. She has to be happy receiving our presents having us a her fans, and not feel attacked.
jorgemae

VM in The CBA 2004

Post by jorgemae »

This brief video came from CCTV (chinese TV channel) news and talks about her fortune (a topic from april of this year), but the images are from the nominations and the handing over of the CBA prizes.

The video is very short, however, to keep the quality I've encoded in MPEG, and then, the file is a bit heavy. The URL to get it is:

http://www.vanessa-mae.com.ar/upload/20 ... ichest.mpg

It's just an humble contribution.
Jorgemae
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

Hey Jorge,

Thanks so much for again another interesting video. You're a great web researcher.

In this video are some scenes form Vanessa-Mae playing in a purple top. These were shot at the nomination launch for the 2004 Classical Brit Awards. Vanessa-Mae played at these nomination launch ceremony and at the ceremonial evening of the Classical Brit Awards. The poses in the golden dress in the video were made at her arrival.

Lorjou was present at the nomination launch and made a video there himslef of Vanessa-Mae playing live 'Bach Street Prelude' on her Guadagnini violin. Vanessa-Mae was wearing this fantastic sophisticated purple top and her face was heavily made up.

http://www.vanessa-mae.com.ar/upload/Va ... ch2004.wmv

At the ceremonial evening, Vanessa-Mae arrived in a golden glamour dress that was especially designed for her. During her performance she had changed into another beautiful dress.

Anyway, both these dresses look wonderful and Vanessa-Mae's heavy make-up suits her face fantastic as counterbalance for the glamorous nature of her clothes.

Photos showing Vanessa-Mae at both the nominations launch and at the ceremonial evening are available on my website, see:

Vanessa-Mae at the Classical Brit Awards 1996-2004
New Blue Eyes

Post by New Blue Eyes »

Thanks guys for supplying the videos. I haven't seen a video of V-M since I purchased "Red Hot".
Here in the USA one never sees or hears much about V-M. It's as if she was once a star many years ago but is now dead and gone. Only about 10% of the people I've talked to have even heard of her. Only one of them has only one album.
I've tried to import burned copies of DVD's from another forum member, but USA customs keeps confiscating them. I think not enough information was supplied with the discs to satisfy USA customs.
If anyone (especially in the USA) can help me get copies of a performance and also a fairly long and recent interview of V-M on DVD, I would love it! I can't download fast enough with a telephone modem. I will pay for your expenses. Just PM me for my mailing address if you can help.

Thanks!

NBE
New Blue Eyes, V-M's #1 USA fan!