How do you enhance Vanessa-Mae?

This is the main lobby for Vanessa-Mae related discussions.

Moderator: zeta

bloviate

How do you enhance Vanessa-Mae?

Post by bloviate »

Admittedly I am a perpetual novice on computers, but I'm hoping someone can help me to do something that once came easy to me. When I purchased the Enhanced Version of the Classical Album I had an old computer that used Windows 95 and it was no problem at all to launch the interactive portion of the CD. Since I have replaced the old with a new computer (Windows XP) I can't bring it up no matter what I do. It tells me to set my monitor to 256 colors or to thousands of colors, which I don't know how to do. Anybody else have this problem? I miss the cool multimedia stuff and am regetting throwing the old machine in the trash.
MSam
VMF Reg

Post by MSam »

You've gotta be tricky on this one :) This is what I did:

First, change your colours to 16 bit, then put the CD in the drive. Go to my computer, and right click on the VMAECD (E:) and click OPEN.

You should have some folders that say Media, QTW_31 and some other junk. You should also have two EXE Files. One says VMAE31 and the other is VMAE 95. Double click on VMAE 95. This message should come up:

Just Press ok. If the message comes up again, just press OK again. After that, it should immediately launch you into the Enchanced Feature.

Hope this helps! :)
bloviate

Post by bloviate »

Thank you MSam but I'm still at square one. I always get lost when they say, simply do such and such, in this case, changing my colors. Like they say, a leopard can't change his spots. :roll:
changing worlds
Site Admin

Post by changing worlds »

Wow, I've never had a problem with this, but now I do. I tried running those in Windows 95 compatible mode with 256 colors, and it doesnt like my latest copy of Quick Time.

Here is what I recommend.

Open your quick time player.
Choose File, then Open File (the Open A File dialog will appear)
Type "d:\MEDIA\EPK.MOV" in the File Name text box and click Open
(where d: is the drive letter of your CD/DVD drive)
Use the Quick Time controls to play the movie.
bloviate

Post by bloviate »

Thank you Joe for your effort. Once again I can't even do the simple 1st step, open Quick Time. All I get is an advertisement from them. I think if I could just get my monitor into 256 colors I'd be fine, but I don't have the slightest clue how to do that.
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

Joe's suggestion works fine for me.

Wasn't there also audio material where Vanessa-Mae talks about her music on the Classical Album 1' and her life as multi-media material? How can we access that now?
MSam
VMF Reg

Post by MSam »

I can still hear the audio comments, though they are a little fuzzy. Bloviate, do you know how to change the colours on your monitor?
changing worlds
Site Admin

Post by changing worlds »

[quote="bloviate"]Thank you Joe for your effort. Once again I can't even do the simple 1st step, open Quick Time. All I get is an advertisement from them. I think if I could just get my monitor into 256 colors I'd be fine, but I don't have the slightest clue how to do that.[/quote]

Since I don't know if you have Quick Time installed, and an advertisement is a bad sign, I'd recommend downloading it (http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/win.html). After it is installed, I choose Start - All Programs (for Windows XP) or Programs (for other Windows) - QuickTime - QuickTime Player.

The colors is a tough part. I am wondering if your video card is set up correctly.

Minimize all windows. Either hold down the Start key (if it exists on your keyboard, it has the Windows logo) and press M at the same time. Another way to do this is to press the Show Desktop icon (second from the right) on the Quick Launch toolbar located to the right of the green Start button.

Right click on the desktop (anywhere above the blue bar at the bottom of your screen, but not on an icon). Left click on the word Properties. At the top you will see tabs. Left click on the word Settings. In the lower right, you will see Color quality, with a down arrow like a gray 'V' to the far right. What does the text to the left of gray 'V' read? Does any more text appear when you click the 'V'? If not, we need to fix your video card drivers. The video card itself may be okay, but yet unrecognizable by Windows XP.

[/url]
bloviate

Post by bloviate »

Joe_ Mate you are a wizard! You have made my day. As I suspected, I just needed to change colors and everything else was easy. The audio interview is fine too. Rijko, you need to click on Interview and then click each of the numbers for the answers to the text questions. I hope everyone else has a chance to enjoy Vanessa-Mae Enhanced. :D
MSam
VMF Reg

Post by MSam »

Hooray! Good to hear you got it to work Bloviate :)