TO ALL THE AMERICAN FANS OF VANESSA MAE!

This is the main lobby for Vanessa-Mae related discussions.

Moderator: zeta

Arioch
**VMF Guru**

Post by Arioch »

Even Nigel Kennedy in the 90's got some really bad criticism for some of
the reworks that he did.
Classical purists loathe people like Vanessa-Mae and Kennedy for what they
did to their beloved 300+ year old classics.
Nigel Kennedy once said in a interview when he re-done the Four Seasons
"There is not one person living who can say how this piece of music was played."

Ignore the critics and listen to your own heart..
.. and enjoy what you like.
-----Arioch------
(Lord of Chaos)
------Image-----
www.vanessa-mae.co.uk
VanessaMaeFan18

Post by VanessaMaeFan18 »

omg!! wow!!! even the virtoruso paganini was even criticized?!!!!! i never knew that. i did a paper about him for a music class and i never came accross that! omg omg, too bad paganini did not have a continous family tree. if that happend, he or she would blow every other violin player out of the water with a few acceptions. imagine, a neo-paganini playing in the concerts!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
foreverred

Post by foreverred »

Rijko Ebens wrote:About any rumours of 'misunderstandings' between Vanessa-Mae and others. We don't know if they are true; we do not have the details and certainly not equally communicated stories from both sides. We can not, and should not judge. But bear in mind, Vanessa-Mae is of flesh and blood with good and bad sides in her character, like we all are and have...

As I said, Vanessa-Mae is not very approachable. That is her good right. We do not own her. Besides, there are many more musicians, singers, or groups, that do not communicate with the fans. I know that a famous singer like Barbara Streisand hardly gives any concerts, not now not in the past for her fans, but only extremely high priced shows for VIPs and celebrities. And there are many more!
Rijko, I heartily agree with you. This discussion has quite piqued my interest.

It seems that a lot of artists such as Vanessa-Mae, Josh Groban, and Yanni have fans who try to put these artists on a pedestal. What many fail to realize (or just attempt to block out) is that these artists are human beings and they have their needs for personal space and privacy just like anyone does after having a rough week at the office or an argument with a loved one.

The act of creation, whether it be artwork, music, poetry, or even bringing a child into this world, is one that takes a lot of energy and emotion out of someone. Vanessa-Mae spent her teen years in the spotlight, all the while growing up in front of us. I bet she enjoys her peace and quiet now!

We are lucky that she didn't go the way of many female pop celebrities today, such as Lindsay Lohan, Britney Spears, or Paris Hilton with the highly-publicized partying, etc. She is a person of integrity and ethics and although I haven't been a professional violinist for nearly as long as VM, I can understand her desire to only perform at VIP/corporate/private functions after many years of being "out there".

Her onstage-concert demand perhaps isn't as great as it used to be, but large corporations are happy to bring someone of her caliber in for an intimate evening of entertainment, rather than VM's team having to book a large scale arena tour, coordinate the sound systems, crews, musicians over a period of weeks or months. To me, having a few special events per month is a lot more enjoyable than doing the same show every night of the month and not knowing how big the crowd will be.

I think VM has matured as an artist and a woman, and having seen clips of recent performances, the fact that she is opening up to new live collaborations shows her growth and desire to broaden her musical horizons outside of what was created for her by Mike Batt, Mel Bush, Ian Wherry, and Andy throughout her early, formative performing years. I personally enjoy her solo creations more because they are not as derivative from classical music as "Storm" or "Toccatta and Fugue". Although I enjoy those pieces, songs from her heart speak worlds to me of what she's gone through, which is why Subject to Change remains my favorite VM album.

Take care, Rijko!
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

I agree foreverred, thanks!

The past 3-4 years saw only little acrtivity in this forum. I don't blame anyone for this, but basically I have been the only active member since and received very little respons to all my posts, I sadly have to notice.

For me this forum is not relevant anymore. I will bring down my involvement in these boards.

For any news about Vanessa-Mae, see my website. I remain dedicated to Vanessa-Mae and will keep my site up-to-date with news, ideas, reviews, photos and many more.
Last edited by Xanthippe on Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
New Blue Eyes

Post by New Blue Eyes »

To the American Fans,

I have sent a letter out to V-M on our behalf through Rijko's annual birthday package. We will wait to see how she responds.

Rijko,

I beg of you not to be disheartened. Your involvement here has been essential to the quality of the forum. We look up to you as a leader. We appreciate your input. You are our only physical connection to V-M. Do not leave us in our time of need.

Yes, you do not get a big response to your posts. That is true. But, I think that most of the time it is because you have "said it all". There simply is nothing more for us to say. Most of your posts are "news" or advertisements for your website. What do you want us to say? We do read your posts. I think it is safe to assume that most of us lead very busy multi-interest lives. As much as I love our dearest Vanessa-Mae, I only have time to spend once every two weeks with this forum. And how many thousands of fans, especially in remote parts of Asia, do not even have access to the world-wide-web? Also, the past three years have been a period of low activity by our V-M. People are now more concerned about the world-wide terrorist threat. Those, my friend, are very good reasons for our seeming lack of interest to your posts.

I get ziltch response to anything I post. I do not take this personally. I am only a name on a forum membership list. No one owes anything to me. And the other members have proved it. You, on the other hand, have had many, many responses.

Please, don't feel as if you have to leave us.

NBE
New Blue Eyes, V-M's #1 USA fan!
foreverred

Post by foreverred »

Xanthippe wrote:For me this forum is not relevant anymore. I will bring down my involvement in these boards.

For any news about Vanessa-Mae, see my website. I remain dedicated to Vanessa-Mae and will keep my site up-to-date with news, ideas, reviews, photos and many more.
I don't think you should leave. You are an anchor for the fans and you also help hold things together when we get a little out of line. However, if you do choose to leave, please join me on my MySpace friends list at www.myspace.com/omarlopezmusic. If you enjoy VM's music, you might enjoy mine as well, although mine uses the electric all the time.

Warmly,
Omar
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

I am not leaving the forum, but only bring down my involvement. That is all.
wylde8

Post by wylde8 »

Does anyone have a list of album sales for each of her albums? I would be interested to see if there's any trend.

To me, part of being a professional musician is being a smart business person. There are several areas which must be balanced. It takes much more than just being a good player. If a musician is only a good player, and had no business or marketing skills, they will go nowhere. Everyone has probably seen artists perform locally who are fantastic musicians but don't have either the skills or want to market themselves and make a good career out of it.

VM falls into this category for me. When her mother was her manager, she was on top of the world. Thats because her mother was a great business woman and VM was a great musician. Thats why they were such a great team. Since that point, VM has done little to make up for her mothers absence. Obviously, VM is not the business woman her mother was, and it looks like she doesn't care to hire anyone who is.

Sure, I understand that she felt overwhelmed when under her mothers management. But to be the biggest and the best takes sacrafice.

VM needs to have more exposure and interaction with her fans so they feel appreciated. It wouldn't kill her to do some interviews, maybe some webcam chats. I'm sure she could do some celebrity events or shows that could give her some exposure. Plus, she needs to tour more. Even if the concert doesn't sell out, she's putting herself out there. And, if the show is truly great, people will want to see her in concert again. Word will spread and over time, more and more people will show up.

I still consider myself a big fan of hers, but I have tired of her apathetic attitude towards her career and her fans. I don't imagine anything will change, and I plan on continuing to buy her albums, but I can't help but hope she does something before she is forgotten.