Vanessa Mae's Birthday 2017 **updated 10/27/18 SHE HAS ANSWERED OUR QUESTIONS! :)**

This is the main lobby for Vanessa-Mae related discussions.

Moderator: zeta

Benji
Site Admin

Vanessa Mae's Birthday 2017 **updated 10/27/18 SHE HAS ANSWERED OUR QUESTIONS! :)**

Post by Benji »

Hello VM fans!

I'm happy to report that thanks to Rijko, I was able to reach out to Vanessa-Mae's personal assistant, and he has agreed to forward our questions and presents to her as done in years past. There is one notable change this year. Normally, John and Rijko would tell the forum which presents were sent in advance. This year, I have managed to plan a very special present to Vanessa-Mae that's easily worth thousands of dollars. You will be VERY surprised what I have in store for her. To that end, I won't share what exactly was given to her until after I get confirmation that she has received the present. I do not want to spoil her birthday present in case she visits :)

Now on to the questions. I am giving everyone the opportunity to submit a question to Vanessa-Mae. To date, she has been awesome and has answered every single question we've submitted. Here are the rules:

1) Obviously, questions deemed inappropriate will not be considered. If the question is in especially bad taste, it will cost that user the privilege to post on this forum for a very long time.

2) One question per user please. Questions that are musically-related are preferable but not required.

3) Questions that either have already been answered in a previous submission or could easily be answered in interviews will not be considered. For example, asking about how she got started playing the violin would be a poor question. She's answered that a million times already. Here is the list of her answers to previous questions
** from 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2005, 2004, and 2003. Please note: I do intend to ask her about forthcoming musical projects.

** John aka CarrollTowerCX was previously in charge of submitting the questions and presents. He did intend to send more questions to Vanessa-Mae last year but it is unknown if he actually did. He fell very ill during that time, so it's unlikely that he did. However, I will ask Vanessa's personal assistant if he received anything from John before he passed. While Vanessa-Mae did get a present from the forum in 2015, no questions were submitted for that year.

4) Questions that are unique and intriguing will get pushed to the front of the line. Think hard!

Finally, I am in need with someone who is good at designing custom cards. Without giving too much away, the card will be a special invitation. It will include pictures, and of course a written statement. It will also need to include a certain logo (used with permission). If you are able to assist, please shoot me a private message!

***Update - 11/16/17***

I finally was able to send out Vanessa-Mae's birthday card with our questions. I do apologize for my tardiness as I've had it rough over the past month. I was sick for the past month, and then I was mugged just a couple of weeks ago. However, things are better now :) I have attached pics of the custom birthday card I did for Vanessa-Mae. If it doesn't meet with your approval, perhaps you'd like to volunteer to help with her birthday card next year. (laughs). Moving on, the following was written in her birthday card, which includes questions I've submitted:

Dearest Vanessa-Mae,

Happy 39th Birthday! We here at the VMnet forum wish that you had a very memorable
birthday, spending time with loved ones and having lots of fun! We also wish to
thank you for the wonderful memories that you have given us fans throughout your extraordinary
career.

We have a very special birthday present for you, but it's not ready yet. Please
stay tuned! :)

Of course we do have a few questions that we hope you'd be willing to answer:

Update (10/27/18): Vanessa-Mae's answers are in red.

1) What keeps you busy nowadays musically (in between concerts)?

Somehow I always seem to be way too busy. Of course skiing also occupied much of my time and I actually dislocated my shoulder on a number of occasions in various ski crashes last winter! The first and worst incident was during a race on 4th December 2017. This then ruled out getting anywhere near making the qualifying grade in late January for PyeongChang 2018... I already had a longterm commitment for a couple of shows in March, which I somehow managed even though my bowing arm was barely mobile. It was a challenge but I always enjoy finding a positive side to a bad experience! I was operated on in April 2018 and am thankfully fit again. Now finding the right direction and space for new music making is key.

2) Any news on a new album? If not, could you tell us what style(s) of music that it would encompass?

Literally no musical style is off limits! Crossover music is so wonderful in helping free inhibitions and create fantastical worlds, for both the artist and the listener. I hope in my way to do some good with my new music. Now I have some more time to dedicate to music I am excited to explore a lot of new avenues in the near future. Fresh songs are promised and will be delivered!

3) Your fans in the U.S. miss you! Do you plan on performing in the U.S. in the not-too-distant future?

I am also looking forward to touring the United States going forward! The States has such a rich legacy of music and cultures, it will always be a source of inspiration for me, and I find it such an energizing country to visit. I was actually in America for a short stint this summer, writing and trying out some new sounds. Over there I also played the earliest show ever for me, in support of a Cruelty Free International campaign at the United Nations - it was at 7:30am, which is a groggy hour for most musicians!

4) During your concerts recently, We notice you've played some music we haven't heard you play in quite some time.
For example, "Picante" and "I will always love you". Do you plan to keep going back and performing pieces from your
earlier work that you haven't perform in quite a while? If so, we love the idea! Paganini's "24th Caprice" and "Classical Gas"
come to mind ... :)

I did two versions of Classical Gas - which one do you prefer I wonder? Bringing « I Will Always Love You » back on stage was for a Valentine’s special, and it was even more poignant to play after the sad passing of Whitney Houston who was such a phenomenal singer. I also love getting the audience on their feet with « I Feel Love » as an encore, all on the violin these days. It is always fun to celebrate a great song by covering it. I actually had to start off my career with covers - and of course performing classical music in itself could in itself be said to be playing covers - but now I can also enjoy revisiting more of my own original material from the past.

5) Do you have a strict practice regiment you follow? When you practice, are there certain pieces that you like to play
to keep yourself in shape?

Strangely, discipline was not indoctrinated into me when I was a child. I was often left to my own devices to manage my practise schedule, so I often did the minimum yet somehow made the targets that were set for me... I had no set routine so I never had a strict bedtime either. Funnily, I have never heard of a classical soloist play a work for the first time with orchestra, at the actual recording, but this is exactly what I did when I was 13 for the Beethoven violin concerto!

... and that's it! Once again, thank you for your time and we look forward to hearing from you!

-Ben Ivy
Owner, vanessamae.net

Of course, I will update you as soon as I hear a reply from her. However, this will most likely take months. I recommend subscribing to this thread for updates, as this is where I'll post her answers.

As for her mysterious birthday gift, it's STILL not ready yet. Again, keep watching this space for updates. Here are some pics of the customized birthday card:
Attachments
20171116_092627.jpg
20171116_092627.jpg (2.72 MiB) Viewed 20281 times
20171116_092547.jpg
20171116_092547.jpg (2.69 MiB) Viewed 20281 times
20171116_092528.jpg
20171116_092528.jpg (2.92 MiB) Viewed 20281 times
Michaeljste

Re: Vanessa Mae's Birthday 2017 **SUBMIT YOUR QUESTIONS HERE***

Post by Michaeljste »

I would like this presented:

Vanessa and my grandson share a birthday and I would love to take him to a concert. Are there ever plans to be in the US?
Benji
Site Admin

Re: Vanessa Mae's Birthday 2017 **SUBMIT YOUR QUESTIONS HERE***

Post by Benji »

Michaeljste wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:30 pm I would like this presented:

Vanessa and my grandson share a birthday and I would love to take him to a concert. Are there ever plans to be in the US?
Indeed, it's been probably a decade since she's been in the U.S., so yes, this question will definitely be asked!

Thanks Michael!
Benji
Site Admin

Re: Vanessa Mae's Birthday 2017 **updated 11/16/17**

Post by Benji »

Original post updated with new information.
Jafo C ! Null
Veteran

Post by Jafo C ! Null »

Did she answered already?
Jafit González L. MD
Benji
Site Admin

Post by Benji »

No. In the past, it's taken months before we receive a response.
ejo

Post by ejo »

Hello, just a thought about the card motives - it's just my personal feeling and perhaps i may not have the sufficient ego for such things, but anyways im not sure i'd find pleasing if someone sent me a bdcard with my own face on it (no matter how beautiful) :D :D
cheers guys
慧淨
violin

Post by violin »

What about the mysterious birthday gift?
violin

Post by violin »

violin wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:38 pm What about the mysterious birthday gift?
He, huh, anyone there to answer my question?
Benji
Site Admin

Post by Benji »

Hi, unfortunately I have not heard back from Vanessa's assistant in months, so her birthday gift is in limbo right now. She hasn't received it yet, nor do I know if she's aware that we are waiting for her reply.
violin

Post by violin »

Oh, OK thanks.

So there is no clue whatsoever if we will ever get an answer, I assume.
Benji
Site Admin

Post by Benji »

Vanessa-Mae has answered our questions!! Check out her answers in the original post
TonyGH05VM
Veteran

Re: Vanessa Mae's Birthday 2017 **updated 10/27/18 SHE HAS ANSWERED OUR QUESTIONS! :)**

Post by TonyGH05VM »

Hopefully in the forum they return to this question section. It is very interesting to know that Vanessa has interaction with her fans ... All of her responses are very nice ... I need to ask her a lot of questions😁
Benji
Site Admin

Re: Vanessa Mae's Birthday 2017 **updated 10/27/18 SHE HAS ANSWERED OUR QUESTIONS! :)**

Post by Benji »

TonyGH05VM wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:44 am Hopefully in the forum they return to this question section. It is very interesting to know that Vanessa has interaction with her fans ... All of her responses are very nice ... I need to ask her a lot of questions😁
Now that I have a way to contact Vanessa-Mae directly, I will submit new questions to her later on this year. :D