Vanessa-Mae: why do we admire and like her so much - Because of her music or her looks?

This is the main lobby for Vanessa-Mae related discussions.

Moderator: zeta

Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

Why do we all admire and like Vanessa-Mae so much? Is this mainly because of her skills on the violin and her music, or is it primarily becasue of her physical beauty and attractiveness?

We constanly search the internet to find new photos and videos that we subsequently download immediately. Would we do this, even if our Vanessa-Mae wasn't so gorgeous? And how would her career have developed in such a case?

I think we all like the total package of Vanessa-Mae. Total package being an extraordinary skilled violinist, an unique musican, a fine and lovable personality and an extremely beautiful young woman.

How would we see her if she wasn't this beautiful and nice girl? We will never know this. Her career would have developed in a totally different way. Of course, we all would not download masses of photos to our computers if she wasn't that pretty.

But seeing an artist, musician performing in full concentration on top of his/hers technical abilities is always impressive. This holds for artists with good looks as well as for artists that can't possible be described as being a beautiful person. Take as an example Nigel Kennedy, who pays no special attention to his clothes, has an unshaven face and a rather bad set of teeth. Yet, I find looking at him performing a very impressive experience, because of his concentration, skills and the interpretation and beauty of his sound.

As for Vanessa-Mae. I possess hundreds, maybe more than thousand, of photos of her and many video materials. Yet, all I do is listenig to her cd's, in stead of gaze at her photos or videos. I do look to her photos from time to time, but just not ver often. I simply collect everything related to Vanessa-Mae, just to satisfy my wish to possess as much material on her as possible.

To me, Vanessa-Mae and her music are united in her personality and looks. Her personality defines her approach to music and making music, and this is also reflected in her attention for her looks, her way to dress and her use of make-up. It all suits her in a very natural way.

Violin, music, beauty, hair, clothes and make-up all come together in the person, our Vanessa-Mae. But it is her music that counts for me in the first place.

Everything else derives from that!
Arioch
**VMF Guru**

Post by Arioch »

Now Rijko has opened a new topic and has got the ball rolling.
This is VERY difficult to Answer.
Why did I have to go and ask this Question?

With me it was and is because of her Music, as it probably is with most of us, It all comes down to Fate.
If it wasn't for Vanessa-Mae being a child prodigy would she have become a musician or would she be working in some fast food restaurant?
So you would not know who Vanessa-Mae is or was, so you could not appreciate her beauty (but then we would not know if she had beauty would we).

As I said for me it was her Music, Her Tv appearance on Bluepeter.
At the time I hated Classical music of any type! But this was an exception, I knew that I had to follow this young girls career.
So is it just her music that atracts me?
Yes,
All those years ago I could never have predicted how she was going to look (Vanessa's Beauty is a bonus).
But then again I know a few people who had gotten into Vanessa's music because of her looks.
I would have been the same if I had seen a picture before hearing her.
Even if she was not a musician, just a nobody and I was to see her on the street I still would have fallen in love with her ( Don't believe me then check my profile).
But the thing is she would have been just another nameless face in a crowd.
Then again if she had the looks of Nigel I would think twice!
Now for the pictures,
To be honest if Vanessa only had Musical talent I would only have a few pics instead of the hundreds on my H/drive just like I only have a few of Nigel Kennedy, the Scruffy git (only joking Nigel (up the Villa)), I doubt that my bedroom wall and my locker at work would be plastered with her loverlyness if this was to be the case

The overall answer= Musical talent first, Looks are just a bonus.
-----Arioch------
(Lord of Chaos)
------Image-----
www.vanessa-mae.co.uk
Kevin
VMF Elite

Post by Kevin »

This topic makes me laugh

Anyway...

I like vanessa mae's music thats it, I dont surf to download pictures of her or anythings like that. Its the music. There are other prettier and better violinist than vanessa that i dont listen to, becuase its about the music. And I personally dont think her looks are WOWing, shes just a normal woman that plays music that i sometimes like.

I think we all like the total package of Vanessa-Mae. Total package being an extraordinary skilled violinist, an unique musican, a fine and lovable personality and an extremely beautiful young woman.

Im not sure of this total package thing.
good violinist, yes she is but I dont find her extraordinarily talented
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

Kevin, I don't quite understand this!

Then what does Vanessa-Mae means to you that makes you be an active member of this forum with allready 185 posts behind your name?
Arioch
**VMF Guru**

Post by Arioch »

Neither Do I,

If this topic makes you laugh why the bother
It seems to me that you have got the wrong idea of this topic!
Maybe even still this Forum!

185 posts your enthusiasm seems very high for some one who only likes her music???
But then every one has their own views. I'm not criticing you I'm also just curious after all you have been a member since July.
But then what do I know I've only been a registered member of this Forum since December!

But I do understand that your answer is to you all that counts is the music and not the looks of the artiste.
In which I agree any thing else is a Bonus..

------------------------------------------------------------

Now if the loverly Members and Guests of this Forum would like to continue with the main theme of this topic, Please feel free to post a reply!
-----Arioch------
(Lord of Chaos)
------Image-----
www.vanessa-mae.co.uk
changing worlds
Site Admin

Post by changing worlds »

Music.

I like things that are unique. I liked Bruce Hornsby when he came out in the pop world with the piano. I liked Kenny G when he came out in the pop world with the saxophone. I like what VM does with the violin.

(I also like being part of this unofficial fan club).

Looks?

This I swear ... I would not recognize VM walking down the street. She seems a little different every picture she take.
Kevin
VMF Elite

Post by Kevin »

Rijko, Vanessa Mae means to me...a violinist whos music I like.

Arioch, yes I listen to her music, and no i dont surf the net for pictures of her. I dont have to explain my level of "fan" to you or to anyone. forgive me if I'm not a Vanessa hungry fanatic who spends day in and day out looking for Vanessa items, or researching the life of the artist to make myself seem like the all knowing "Guru"

For some reason how much i enjoy, apprecitate or worship Vanessa matters to you and to others of this forum to somehow validate my membership.

If you are going to quote me...quote me in context. When I look at the forums topics i goto whatever topics are new or have new responses. The topic in which the anerexic vanessa picture was in...WAS A NEW TOPIC. So i looked and read the posts and responded. That wasn't me surfing the net trying to find Vanessa pictures. And you could do a hard drive sweep of all of my computers and not find any Vanessa Pictures (not like its any of your business anyway what I have and dont have)

Also, I dont need you to explain to me the purpose of a forum. Even if i had the wrong idea of the forum I searched for a definition just to reeducate myself on the word
place to express yourself: a medium, for example, a magazine or newspaper, in which the public may debate an issue or express opinions

My enthusiasm for Vanessa Mae is...for music (including music/cds/sheet music/videos/ and concerts) and to discuss Vanessa Mae.

You say you're not critisizing me...you just want me to explain myself and my reasons for being a member of the forum...I dont think you're anyone of any importance to know everything.

AS I SAID, I enjoy her music. To see someone playing the same instrument as I, and doing it another style, like I do it is somewhat of an inspiration. And as i said, ITS THE MUSIC, not the pictures. If you dont like my answer I dont care :laugh:
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

Kevin,

You don't have to defend yourself and your level a fanship to anybody. It is fine with me. I was just interested in your motivation and decided to ask. Thanks for explaining. Getting inspiration for your own violin play seems a very good reason to me for being interested in Vanessa-Mae.

I just hope that you are wiling to edit your last sentence out of your post. See it please as just a friendly request!!

Finally, I hope more members post in the context of this topic. I am interested in what others have to say on this subject.
Kevin
VMF Elite

Post by Kevin »

Well Rijko, any other time I would edit my post. However, I've been a member of this forum too long and for too long have been kept silent of the things that I felt because so many times Ive seen members of this forum gang up on others if they had differing opinions. For example if i were to say Vanessa's strong jaw line is considered ugly by many Asians (Japanese specifically) Im sure i would never hear the end of memebers of this forum always referring to the day i called Vanessa ugly, its happened before, its happening now.

This isn't a forum, this is an everyone worship Vanessa, dont conflict with our views or you will be stoned because you have a brain and think differently of others. this isn't the case of EVERYONE in the forum, just a certain few. That is why so many of the members of the forum are inactive, because they can never say anything they feel that might differ in opinion from the Vanessa Gurus.
Arioch
**VMF Guru**

Post by Arioch »

Forgive me Kevin
Like i said i was just curious.
After all In my last sentence I did say that I agreed with you.
I will in future mind my own business. Dont worry i don't want to check your computers.

We all Like Vanessa-Mae in our own way so we must all be able to accept a bit of criticism as well as to give it out.
Besides I respect you, I know that I have a funny way of showing it, You can do something that I could not ever do and that is to be able to play the Violin.

I offer respect and Peace, not War.
-----Arioch------
(Lord of Chaos)
------Image-----
www.vanessa-mae.co.uk
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

Kevin,

I didn't ask you to silence your opinion, now or in the future. I asked you to delete your closing sentence of that post.

No one has to agree with me on anything. Everyone is entitled to his or hers own views and ideas and is free to express them in this forum.

I think that a lot of members don't post because they consider themselves not fluently enough in the English language to properly express their feelings and ideas.

Maybe you are right too and some do not dare to go against the general opnion here. If that is true, then that is a pity of course. But I can't change that.

Anyway, you certainly don't belong to those silent members.

Ask you once more: please remove the final sentence in that post of yours? Please be so kind and do it?
Kevin
VMF Elite

Post by Kevin »

well, thats how i feel, and ill change my last sentence of that post.

Arioch, I apologize to you too.
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

Kevin, I think there is a misunderstanding.

I don't have any objections to your first post. I was reffering the the final sentence of your second post where you say:

If you dont like my answer ..... ya, cuz I dont care
AdamM

Post by AdamM »

I find Vanessa-Mae to be exceptionally beautiful. And I love her music, she has to be my favorite musical artist. She produces beautiful music, and is very talented. But in reality, I do not download thousands of photos, or videos of her. And in all honesty I find it kind of disturbing the way some people are so fanatical about her. It is almost like you are in love with her so much, wish you were married to her, can't be so you try to own her with merchandise, photos, videos etc. It is actually kind of sad. I personally would never consider reviewing her make-up choice in any photo or video. I find it rather sad that people care so much. I just hope she finds it to be flattering, because it is rather scary. Some people out there probably know more about her than even she does. And if I were her ever reading this forum I would be afraid.
*_-_-Adam-_-_*
jintan

Post by jintan »

If I may summarize Rijko's topic in one sentance, it goes like this:- 'Would your interest in her (music) be the same had she not looked as good as she is?'
I think Rijko is trying to find opinions for Vanessa-mae's vast popularity, and as expected opinion given can at times be provocative. This may be necessary (and should also be encouraged) in order to have a balanced discussion. However, opinion given should be relevant to the topic and not resulting into character assassination of any participants in this forum. I participate in this Forum because I believe that I can interact with fans having similar interests, and not having to witness the occasional 'virtual fights'.
Let's proceed to discuss Rijko's topic in a measured manner. I shall post my view later.