Online violin resources

Anything goes...
Atreides
Veteran

Post by Atreides »

I was surfing around looking interesting new stuff to practice and found an pretty usefull site (www.violinonline.com) targetted mainly for beginner and intermediate violin players.

In the exercise studio of the site not only do you have a large selection of etude and technique partitions but you can also have then played as Midi (which is very usefull for me, music reading aint my strong point) .

violinonline.com

Atre.

P.S. Just out of curiosity... How many of you are both VM fans and play the violin ?
Arioch
**VMF Guru**

Post by Arioch »

Nice Link Atre,

I was thinking of buying a violin to put in my VM display case
that I'm trying (unsuccessfully) to make.
Now when I do finally get one i will be able to annoy every
body in my neighbourhood :D
-----Arioch------
(Lord of Chaos)
------Image-----
www.vanessa-mae.co.uk
Kevin
VMF Elite

Post by Kevin »

of course we know i play violin
classical, jazz, pop, techno, r&b, rock, experimental. You name it, or let me hear it and I'm there to play it
(accoustically, and electrically) :cool:
aventine
Site Admin

Post by aventine »

Kevin wrote:of course we know i play violin
classical, jazz, pop, techno, r&b, rock, experimental. You name it, or let me hear it and I'm there to play it
(accoustically, and electrically) :cool:
Can you play rap? :gasmoke:
Kevin
VMF Elite

Post by Kevin »

You name it, or let me hear it and I'm there to play it
Theres your answer...Ive actually done a few string tracks for some local rap artists. Just some riffs for the hooks or verses.
aventine
Site Admin

Post by aventine »

Ummm... how about Australian Indiginous music? (Aboriginal) :krank:
Atreides
Veteran

Post by Atreides »

Now when I do finally get one i will be able to annoy every
body in my neighbourhood
May I suggest an Electric violin ? They dont make as mutch noise (depending on your amp settings), Its better for the relation with the neighours. Thats what I using right now.

But i m in the process of buying a classical one, or have one made for me (not sure i wanna wait 6 months for it tho). Cant wait :) But i guess i ll have to stop practicing at odd ours of the night with a classical one

Atre
Kevin
VMF Elite

Post by Kevin »

Atreides - I wouldn't suggest electric before accoustic.

As far as annoying your neighbors...All you have to do is get a practice mute, and it mutes the sound largely (great for if its like 2am and you wanna practice.) They are only about $5-$8

Aventine, actually as surprising as this sounds I did play with this guy on Didgeridoo, he took an aboriginal some aboriginal tunes and added some other more...melodic instruments, and we played at this International Festival thing. (Actually the woman that was supposed to play got ill and couldn't do the show, and called me to substitute for her.)

But i KNOW theres styles I haven't played, but you'd be surprised what I HAVE (to only be 18).
Atreides
Veteran

Post by Atreides »

Atreides - I wouldn't suggest electric before accoustic.
I know its a bit off topic... but I d love to know why u dont recommend electric before accoustic ?

Personally I learned (and still learning ... always learning ... never finish learning ...) to play on an electric violin, the only downside I found was the weight of the instrument , making it harder to handle. And maybe the fact then when u plug it in the amp the slightest mistake or positionning flaw become annoyingly eveident :drpunk:

But since I was not exposed to an accoustic instrument early on I m sure there are difference and subtilities I have not noticed. Actually I played only a handfull of times on an accoustic instrument ...

Personally I always found the mute effect to be marginal, at least those i ve seen in action (metalic that sit ontop of the bridge and rubber that are attached to the bridge). I ll have to research those carefully once I get my new violin... Any advice?.

Atre
Kevin
VMF Elite

Post by Kevin »

I know its a bit off topic... but I d love to know why u dont recommend electric before accoustic ?
Because its just more traditional to learn on accoustic, as it is the real form of the violin. It just seems out of place to learn how to play a violin by learning on an electric, because its not the same thing really.

What brand and model is your electric?

When I refer to the mute, I refer to the PRACTICE mute. There are the regular mutes that are used in performance (rubber, as well as wire) Those give the instrument another sort of tone.

The PRACTICE mute, just makes it easy to practice, it dampens the sound of the instrument, of course you'll be able to hear yourself, but at like 1/10 the normal volume of the instrument (and yes it mutes it more than a performance mute)
Atreides
Veteran

Post by Atreides »

What brand and model is your electric?
Nothing extravagant ... its a Fender FV3 Sunburst Delux. I d love to get a Zeta or a NS but for a decent one i need to budget at least 3000$. And since i already need a Classical violin, I think I ll put the 3k on an avrage classical instrument.

Thx for the mute info, thats gonna come handy.

Atre.
Kevin
VMF Elite

Post by Kevin »

Fender....my first electric was a fender...how i hate them. Bit of a suggestion...if you are using the bridge that came with the instrument, have another bridge made for you and use the new one instead, see if it helps the sound. I hated the sound the instrument had with the original bridge, very twangy scratchy and just overall irritating.

My electric selections vary, at the moment I'm playing on a white Zeta Jazz Fusion violin.
Atreides
Veteran

Post by Atreides »

Well ... its not too bad ... i find the FV3 to be better then the mid range Yamaha... of course it does not come close to a Zeta. I ve had this one for only 4 months, bought it brand new. The only thing i dont like about it is the weight, the #### thing feels like a rock after 1 hours of playing.

As for the sound, well , its ok , altought the G string does not bare pressure changes on long notes very well, the sound kindda wobble (if thats a word). I ll change the Strings next week in hope this problem goes away.

If you like Zeta take a look at NS. Very classy look, high end electronics, groovy sound. They a worth a try.

Atre
Kevin
VMF Elite

Post by Kevin »

NS, not for me, I dont like the design at all. It seems to be a mock off the deisgn of Jensen and Jordan....Its just very ... ugly to me... :banghead:
aventine
Site Admin

Post by aventine »

I don't think I've ever seen a design of an electric violin that I like! :O

Most of them seem rather awkward to me.