Found a critique of Four Seasons

This is the main lobby for Vanessa-Mae related discussions.

Moderator: zeta

AdamM

Post by AdamM »

Well needless to say, I definatly don't agree with this critic. It was written in February of this year.
http://www.biberfan.com/reviews/001289.shtml

Adam
*_-_-Adam-_-_*
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

Tanks AdamM for this link!

I don't agree with him either. Rather theoratical on the meaning of the word 'Original.
Arioch
**VMF Guru**

Post by Arioch »

This 'critic' doesn't seem to understand our girl 'Vanessa-Mae'
This critic doesn't seem to understand what our girl's aims are!

How can anyone run down the Devils Trill Sonata?

You can garantee that this person has never picked up a
musical instrument (let alone a violin) in his entire life, what a jerk!!!
-----Arioch------
(Lord of Chaos)
------Image-----
www.vanessa-mae.co.uk
devils_trill

Post by devils_trill »

Oh f*** this guy!

People are deliberatly posting things on this board to p*** me off?

Look I dont care what other people thing about her. My friends all take the p*** cos I like her.

Reflection is beautiful.
devils_trill

Post by devils_trill »

This recording achieves the Herculean task of rescuing Vivaldi's oft- performed concerti from the hackneyed oblivion of elevator music, and ingeniously resuscitating them in an arresting and enthralling manner. It as if the parched roots of these pieces have been watered with something rather bracing and slightly alcoholic, and suddenly shot into blooms of brilliant red and electric blue. Vanessa-Mae, her producer Pamela Nicholson, and the group of highly acclaimed soloists and professors which makes up the orchestra Laureate, have all contributed to these exciting arrangements. The starting premise was that Vivaldi would have expected his soloists to embellish and elaborate the solo parts for themselves: on this recording that has meant fleshing out the orchestral parts so that they stretch the techniques of everyone involved, and turning the solo part itself into a Paganini-esque jeu d'esprit. (Following Sir Thomas Beecham's advice, who said that a harpsichord sounds like "skeletons copulating on a galvanised tin roof", that instrument has judiciously been omitted!) And the wonderful thing is that the programmatic sense of the seasons- - birds twittering, teeth chattering, hay-gathering etc--is not mocked, but reinforced. --Warwick Thompson
changing worlds
Site Admin

Post by changing worlds »

Off topic: Please refrain from profanity.

:pcangry:
devils_trill

Post by devils_trill »

Sorry but these things make me mad....

Anyway I found a critics review of Subject to Change by Q magazine.

2 out of 5 (average/okay)
Thrusting a classical instrument centrestage in a "pop" song rarely makes it sound "less classical", but unnecessarily quaint and awkward in its funky new environment. And so it is here with Singapore-born fiddler Vanessa-Mae's latest effort. While this may appeal to the Enya/Deep Forest/Adiemus consumer, the overall impression is of slightly-above-average supermarket muzak that will impress few fans of either pop or classical. The mournful, cinematic Solace is palatable, and the Latino/gypsy-styled Picante might earn a busker a few pounds, but on tracks where she exercises her weak vocal chords (White Bird and LoveIs Only A Game) it degenerates into excruciating quasi-trancey Europop. Brave, but Vanessa-Mae may well regret trying to play with the big kids.

What makes me laugh is they give it an OK score then write a bad review. In fairnes Love is ONly A Game is one of my least favortie VM tracks, but what are they on here.