Review of The Alternative Classical Concert

Post reviews on concerts, albums, and anything else.
Benji
Site Admin

Post by Benji »

Rating: 8.5 out of 10

As I've mentioned before, I have been waiting for many years to see this concert, and now I have, and I'm very glad I did.

I won't make this review long, so I'll highlight some of the important aspects of the concert.

First, her performance of Bach's Partitia was very very strong. She played it with so much intensity, which is quite different then her recording of this piece on CA1. It was very very mesmorizing to see Vanessa play it with so much passion.

My second favorite was Piazzolla's Fugata. Here, Vanessa-Mae shows how diverse she is when it comes to music. I thought the piece was very very fresh and different. It was quite obvious the audience enjoyed the assortment of strange sounds and rythms this piece provided.

Next up was the final movement of the Rossini Sonata. The audience seemed to be really looking forward to this performance as they applauded Vanessa as soon as she mentioned the name. I don't think they were disappointed .. The highlight of the performance was definately Vasko Vassilev's performance on 2nd violin (an old dear friend of Vanessa, and an extraordinary violinist in his own right, evidenced by his performance here). The "feud" between Vanessa and Vasko near the end was very climactic, ending with a near-standing ovation from the audience. This piece was probably the most memorable piece in the classical portion of this concert.

I also enjoyed the pieces I didn't cover like Paganini's Cantabile, Brahm's Scherzo, and Beethoven's Romance in F. I didn't cover these because although they were very good performances, they pale a bit in comparison to the performances I just reviewed.

Now on to the "alternative" part of the concert ..

Toccata and Fugue: I really like the string/band accompanyment, which added a lot of depth to the music.

Classical Gas Raggae: I bet the audience was very very taken aback given the music's heritage. But once again, Vanessa shows her uncanny ability to play different types of music--even in one venue.

Red Hot: Props to the string/band accompanyment. There were fantastic! This was definately the highlight of the alternative-pop side of the concert. The drum section was very very good, and Kit was his usual self .. very very energetic guitarist, although the sound of his electric guitar was very very thin.

Let's not forget I'm A Doun, which none of us has seen yet, I'll review it at a later date after I've watched it. I feel obligated to tell you what I didn't like about the concert. Which is really only one matter: She mimed the pop pieces. Now, I'm not about to spend a great deal of time on the topic as it's been beaten to death. All I have to say is that I didn't *quite* enjoy the pop portion because of that fact. What's odd about it is her band was completely live as well as the string section, which raises the question: Why wasn't Vanessa-Mae? I have no idea. However, let me make this clear: I do NOT hold her responsible nor do I have ill-will towards her. Why? Because this entire concert was impromptu given the no-show of her orchestra due to permit problems. This was the only blemish on an otherwise excellent concert. I'm very glad I finally got a chance to watch it, and hope that we will see a concert video of her new classical project due to start next year.

--Benjamin
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

I don't want trigger any discussion about this mining issue, but I feel very much obliged to Vanessa-Mae to catergorically state here that I completely disagree with Benjamin on his observation that Vanessa-Mae mined the pop part of the concert.

I am absolutely convinced that Vanessa-Mae played everything live. There are very notable differences to here compared to other live registrations and studio versions, that all have characteristics of their own.

I'll post my review on this magnificant concert later this weekend,
Benji
Site Admin

Post by Benji »

Rijko Ebens wrote:I don't want trigger any discussion about this mining issue, but I feel very much obliged to Vanessa-Mae to catergorically state here that I completely disagree with Benjamin on his observation that Vanessa-Mae mined the pop part of the concert.

I am absolutely convinced that Vanessa-Mae played everything live. There are very notable differences to here compared to other live registrations and studio versions, that all have characteristics of their own.

I'll post my review on this magnificant concert later this weekend,
I've danced around I wanted to reply to this or not, but it can't hurt.

You know, I've been playing violin and viola since I was 11 years old. I had the priveledge of attending the St Louis Conservatory & School for the Arts. Although I'm no expert when it comes to violin playing, I do consider myself intermediate.

When I said in my review that Vanessa mimed the pop pieces, that wasn't a rash observation. Most people who would look at the concert would not have noticed, or probably even cared. That's why I didn't delve into the miming issue very much, and I also reiterated that I don't blame Vanessa-Mae considering how impromptu this concert was.

Ok, as for proof of my observation:

I think everyone can agree on this point. The violin sounds between Classical Gas, Toccata and Fugue, and Red Hot are all different. This wouldn't be the case if she was playing live on her ZETA.

In Toccata and Fugue, my trained ears tell me that the sound of the violin is in acoustic in nature, which the ZETA is not. In Classical Gas, once again, the violin sound changed to something more electric in nature (mainly because the violin track that was mimed was taken straight from the studio version). Red Hot? This one was fairly obvious. The sound of her electric violin sounded exactly like it did in the Berlin video, but that's not really the proof. The proof is that if you look at 3:22 in the red hot video, you will see Vanessa playing a succession of notes and ended it in an upbow .. Unfortunately, when she lifted the bow off the string, the sound was still being produced (and it wasn't an open string where the sound trails, the last note was a fingered a on the E string).

I knew that the issue of miming wouldn't go away. I really didn't expect it to come back up so soon, but I can't ignore what I know.

But--

There is a way to find out. Vanessa is launching a new site very soon. I plan to ask her about this performance. Whether she disagrees or agrees with my assessment, I will drop the matter completely, seeing that arguing with Vanessa-Mae is counter-productive and something I just do not want to do.

But in the end, Rijko please understand, that I, myself, am a violinist, and I actually can play a lot of the pop pieces Vanessa plays. So when I say she's miming, give me just a little more credit that maybe, just maybe, I could be right under the circumstances.

--Benjamin
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

Benjamin, we have been over this discussing it several times, over and over again. Probably, this mining toipic will come up again one time or another.

I am absolutely sure that you are convinced of you opinion, just as I am sure about mine. We simply do not agree.

I will not try now, nor in the future, to have you change your mind.

Every time you or anyone else brings up this topic again, I will feel the urgency to state that I have an oposite opinion. That means, if I sincerly believe that Vanessa-Mae was playing live in that particular performance.

I will keep doing this because probably no one else will do so, and I don't want any impression left that some of her best fans don't believe that Vanessa-Mae plays live during her concerts, at least not all the time. This would make a very bad impression to outsiders visiting and reading this forum.

You know, it is unforgivable if any artist mimes before an audience that paid for quite expensive tickets to hear and see their favourites. I would feel betrayed if I were to found out that Vanessa-Mae was miming during one of the concerts that I attended, or to any of her highly prized performances.

On the contrary, I am very much convinced that Vanessa-Mae plays live at her tour of concerts.

I don't give you any more credits Benjamin. My ears are just as good as yours, and from that I assess a complete oposite conclusion. I hope that you don't try to compare your technical skills on a violin to those of Vanessa-Mae when it comes to playing pop pieces. She is out there playing for thousands of people in concerts all over the world and having sold to 8 millions (maybe 10 millions in the mean time) of albums.

Vanessa-Mae has stated that she always plays live in concerts for fans that have paid to see her.

Maybe you should give her some credits for those words and simply believe her.

BTW, I don't play the violin nor any other instrument. I envy you for being capable of playing instruments.
Benji
Site Admin

Post by Benji »

Rijko Ebens wrote:Benjamin, we have been over this discussing it several times, over and over again. Probably, this mining toipic will come up again one time or another.

I am absolutely sure that you are convinced of you opinion, just as I am sure about mine. We simply do not agree.

I will not try now, nor in the future, to have you change your mind.

Every time you or anyone else brings up this topic again, I will feel the urgency to state that I have an oposite opinion. That means, if I sincerly believe that Vanessa-Mae was playing live in that particular performance.

I will keep doing this because probably no one else will do so, and I don't want any impression left that some of her best fans don't believe that Vanessa-Mae plays live during her concerts, at least not all the time. This would make a very bad impression to outsiders visiting and reading this forum.

You know, it is unforgivable if any artist mimes before an audience that paid for quite expensive tickets to hear and see their favourites. I would feel betrayed if I were to found out that Vanessa-Mae was miming during one of the concerts that I attended, or to any of her highly prized performances.

On the contrary, I am very much convinced that Vanessa-Mae plays live at her tour of concerts.

I don't give you any more credits Benjamin. My ears are just as good as yours, and from that I assess a complete oposite conclusion. I hope that you don't try to compare your technical skills on a violin to those of Vanessa-Mae when it comes to playing pop pieces. She is out there playing for thousands of people in concerts all over the world and having sold to 8 millions (maybe 10 millions in the mean time) of albums.

Vanessa-Mae has stated that she always plays live in concerts for fans that have paid to see her.

Maybe you should give her some credits for those words and simply believe her.

BTW, I don't play the violin nor any other instrument. I envy you for being capable of playing instruments.
I think that you've misunderstood my intentions when I mentioned about the miming in my original review. You seem to believe that it was an attack of Vanessa Mae, which it wasn't. I still think it's an excellent concert despite the miming, and I could attribute it to the spurious nature of the concert (i.e. no orchestra, impromptu performances).

I know that in any serious concert, she'd play live. I believe that. But things happen, and this concert proves that not everything goes according to plan, and some things may/may not be done that wasn't originally planned.

Yes, Vanessa does play live at her concerts that people pay for, however this isn't any ordinary concert.

When I mentioned about my violin background, it was not my intention to elevate myself to what Vanessa-Mae has done. However, I do believe that I being a violinist. I can tell what kind of violin is being used, and the sound that it makes. Stating that, I go back to my original point. The sound of the violin from the 3 pop pieces she did was different. If she would have been playing live, the ZETA was sound the same, no matter what piece she's playing.

It's not about changing anyone's mind, but I do want to make it clear that when I don't hold it against Vanessa.

So bottom line: Yes, Vanessa has said that she plays live in all her concerts where people pay to see her, but given how this concert didn't turn out as planned, and that these pieces would probably have never been performed otherwise.. this might be an exception.

--Benjamin
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

I think it was very daring of Vanessa-Mae to go ahead with this tour of concerts given the fact that the orchestra that should be there with her wasn't given the permission to enter the UK to do so. Vanessa-Mae must have a lot of self-confidence in her skills and improvisation capablillies to do so indeed.

I have read some bad comments in UK newspapers of classical reviewers on this series of concerts. They certainly would have nailed Vanessa-Mae if she had mimed or failed in any other way. If there had ever been a concert occasion where Vanessa-Mae really had to show everything she has, then it was certainly this series of concerts: her critics were waiting for her mistakes.

I feel a lot of respect for what she did out there on the concert platform. Vanessa-Mae has the stage personality and technical skills to make a huge success out of every live concert for an audience in any setting. She has no reason whatsoever to mime; why should she spoil her own fun in doing so!!
Benji
Site Admin

Post by Benji »

Most of the critics a) do not play the violin b) don't listen to Vanessa-Mae enough to know how a mimed performance sounds like c) have 0 experience when it comes to electric violins.

So just because they didn't notice it means it didn't happen. As for why should would mime? I don't know .. but it's a good bet it had something to do with the impromptu nature of the concert, and how it had to be put together from scratch so quickly.

--Benjamin
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

And Vanessa-Mae could put this all together, except for the pop part of the show?

As for critics noticing any miming? Vanessa-Mae couldn't take the risk that someone would notice.

Well, for any opinion is an argumentation!! Let's stop here. This discussion is too long already.
arup75
Veteran

Post by arup75 »

Haidee, could you close this topic?
-ThIs MeSsAgE WaS PoStEd By:-

...ArUp, ThE OnE ThAt AlWaYs MaKeS YoU HaPpY...
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

I don't think there is any need for closing this topic. Benjamin and I had just a normal exchange of thoughts.

My latest reply to Benjamin was more about 12 hours ago.
Kevin
VMF Elite

Post by Kevin »

arup...i dont think the topic should be closed because I wanna reply as im sure others do too.

NOW I being a violinist and playing accoustic as well as electric brands (zeta, yamaha (3 kinds), jordan, jensen, fender,....) Have maybe a lil more knowledge on the electrical aspect of the concerts (take no offense please).

now when vanessa says she plays live for fans Benji....SHE REALLY DOES even in the mimed performances of the alternative classical concert, she is really playing live. BUT WAIT keep reading. her violin as heard through the audience is NOT vanessa playing. it is pre-recorded, but if you look at vanessa, she is really playing, which means she plays live for the fans (hehehehe...good way around that one).

Rijko, all the pop pieces in the alternative classical concert were mimed and its totally obvious, but i dont really care about that, because the backing instruments were totally live and it sounded great, so basically who cares if it was mimed or not?

In the situation of miming, and live performances i personally am not biased, I'm just straight down the center, and will tell benji and rijko what is really going on, because from time to time both of you have been wrong about this topic.

well thats my take.... :p
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

Well Kevin I guess that I simply disagree with both you and Benjamin.
Kevin
VMF Elite

Post by Kevin »

u disagree with me on which aspect?
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

Well that is easy to assess by reading my replies to Benjamin.

I am absolutely sure that Vanessa-Mae played 'really' live and not to a pre-recorded tape as you think.
Kevin
VMF Elite

Post by Kevin »

ok

and what makes you think that she played live?

the only song Im kinda iffy on is I'm a Doun, but I'm 100% positive the rest of the pops were mimed.

rijko, what can u say about Toccata and Fugue when the violin heard is the accoustic violin, and not the zeta?
Its also apparent that she isn't playing live on classical gas because if you just listen to the end of it, she stops playing when the audience still hears the sound of a violin.
What about in red hot where its apparent that what you hear isn't what shes playing with the changing of bows and sorts? ???