Is this board always so silent

Anything goes...
chwi

Quiet ?!

Post by chwi »

Well I'm happy this forum exists and provides us with so much valuable information. But so far I never found somethung new to post, so my number of posts is still quite low. And certainly it's less work to read through and download the stuff without posting a thank you afterwards :)

So here I want to place a very big THANK YOU to all the people that shared their news and goodies over the past years !!!!

What I did notice in the past that in other forums, ezboards,... VM became less present than in previous years, or even vanished. Maybe because - after the FHM shot - hardly any new good quality photos were available. Although we see links and minature icons of some rexfeatures a. o. we hardly ever get this stuff in the desired quality. And I don't remember the last useful foto in an Austrian magazine on which you could identify VM as VM even wihtout knowing or reading :(

And what about releases:

I like Kylie Minogue, but I think they released the third or fourth best of DVD with her several video clips from the beginning to the present, certainly with only slight but - for fans - essential alterations.
VM has not released one DVD of that kind, not speaking of a concert DVD despite her numerous appearances (except the doubtful Red Hot Tour release). Her singles are rarely seen in my country and do not have any video clips.

So I don't wonder if her popularity decreased because of that.
bijsterg
Veteran

Post by bijsterg »

I don't want to repeat all the arguments above, but I fully agree! Even on hot news, or rare files mentioned in the goodies section, the reactions of most members are very low.

What can we do, or what do we have to do, to keep everybody interested? I'm also a member of another forum, where we had the same situation. It changed after we opened a mutual server, where everyone could exchange files. From that moment on the forum was succesfull again, but for how long nobody knows!
Gerrit (bijsterg)
eva03
VMF Elite

Post by eva03 »

I think we've just ran out of topic to be discussed. For now I cant think of any way to let this forum become active. Even games or freebies wont work. I remember Rijko initiating a quiz game where winners will be given a Vanessa-Mae photo. Unfortunately only four(including me) participated in the game.
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

I posted a few days ago on a concert of Vanessa-Mae already in 1992. I notice that this topic is read already '9' times, but no one took the time to repsond.

Also, I have an enormous collection of rare photos, including my own cocnert photos, availalble on my website. I announce new additions here in the forum several times the past months, but there is hardly any respons.

I possess a large collection of small videos and most of these have been available via Glenns server but I am certainly willing to put it these up again on Bijsterg his server if there is any need for.
Arioch
**VMF Guru**

Post by Arioch »

Sorry Rijko for not posting a reply i am having big problems with my PC
Regarding Vanessa's 1992 concert have you been able to find any reviews
about her performance?
I have had a look but sofar i have not found anything.
It would be nice to find out what she performed and how well she played.
-----Arioch------
(Lord of Chaos)
------Image-----
www.vanessa-mae.co.uk
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

Arioch, I don't blame anyone in particular. Of course all members are free to post when they want to, and all determnine their own level of participation to their own wishes.

Only, this forum needs active members to be successful.

I haven't found any additional information on Vanessa-Mae's cocnert in 1992. We will ask our Noodles herself when we send her our birthday present this year in October.
bijsterg
Veteran

Post by bijsterg »

Rijko,
Your right. The files on my server are read by not more then 10 to 15 members in 1 week. Even the new video's and pictures of recent concerts, are downloaded by just a few and I don't know why. If I compare that with the >8.000 times in 1 month that video files from another artist on my server are downloaded!

Maybe we expect to much! Not everybody is the same, you know.
Gerrit (bijsterg)
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

bijsterg,

Apparently there is no interest to discus Vanessa-Mae and all related to her. That is a fact, unfortunately.

The first three years of this forum were very lively, though! Things have changed for some unclear reason to me.

The video files are announced in the 'goodies' section and we made that restrickted area to only the most active and prominent members. All these files have been on Glenn's server too the pasrt years. So most members with access to the 'goodies' had them already.

Perhaps, mentioning them in the normal discussion board will trigger more exchange.
chwi

Post by chwi »

For my share, I am primarily interested in released music/video material. And that is - concerning VM - not so much. I must admit that I am happy with that. Other artists release bulkloads of stuff where single exclusive tracks are spread all over various compilations, soundtracks, ... which are only available overseas. I am very annoyed to make expensive imports for a single track, maybe even pay customs fees and in the end get only one track for 30-40USD. Not to speak of a re-sell value of less than 5USD. It's sometimes hard to keep track of such releases, especially if you collect from more than a few artists.
If you're buisy with other things, like most likely everyone else here, it is even a hard job to read new messages, collect various informations about releases and get the essentials out of it. And then you still need some time to enjoy the fruits of your passion.
I have the Berlin Philharmonie VHS tape and its waiting now more than three months to be transformed to my PC and DVD. I've read that someone of this forum put a file to the goodies but even the chance of accessing that section does hardly "trigger" me at the moment. Most of the video files I have from my long past access to glenn's server are nice to see but they hardly provide state of the art quality and that is not the fault of the posters but of the releasers (or not releasers). But how dares to hope for more releases if there is so little interest.
Concerning the pictures: it is nice to see what people find but only few pixs are really teasing enough or in acceptable quality that I really download them. It is dissappointing to see that some agencies have nice photo sessions with her but the pictures are not available for common people, not even for money. Most of magazine/newspaper scans are spoiled by text, editing and usually of bad quality. Most of the concert pix are far beyond any professional quality but I do not want to complain about the great efforts all the fans undertake to get these snippets as they are all we have.
Furthermore, I am not a fan in the classical sense but only share the interest for music and just sometimes video/picture stuff all the other "private" topics do hardly bother me. I also do not go to concerts, not even in my hometown (too expensive, too crowdy, too noisy, tooo....)
So usually I just have a short look at those messages and go ahead. Furthermore I don't remember to have ever found anything special I could provide first. Although all the posters feel happy if they get appreciation and response by members I do not like to post such short comments as "thanks", "yes, mhm", "great". And for more I hardly find the time ore purpose.

Despite all that this is still the best VM place to get news and goodies (even without the goodies section).

I collect music from at least two artists where most likely I would be the only one who could provide new finds or rarities and their forums do either not exist anymore or have less than 10 membes and entries....

Imagine 3652 new entries per day. Who would read :)
Here I spend no more than 1-5 minutes every now and then and I am through with all that matters. Isn't that good to know that you missed nothing but still see that at least some people care and respond to questions.

Oops, today I "wasted" more than 15 minutes here, downloaded a handful of maybe new photos, got a reply to one of my rare contributions, wrote far too much at a time, and maybe just because there were some more new entries to look through than usual.

(Message not finished because of total exhaustion)
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

OK chwi,

Thanks for taking the time to express your view and feelings on the matter.

As I said many times, everyone is entitled to his/hers own chosen level of participation.

I think that the fact that we decided not to be a platform for providing her music as mp3's hampers this forum a lot. We love Vanessa-Mae and we do not want to violate her commercial interests.

Personally, I would never do such a thing. I am only willing to share material that is not availalble or not available anymore via commericial sources.

BTW, I have a lot of good quality photos on my website.
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

I don't often have much to say (not being as knowlegeable as some of you about Vanessa-Mae) but I do read everything here and I thank you all for your contributions. Vanessa-Mae isn't very well publicised in England and this is really the only place I ever find news or links to news items. If not for you people I would never have known about the Royal Festival Hall concert last year, my first opportunity to see her live.

So I am very glad of this forum, even if I am a silent member most of the time. But I realise that forums need active members if they are to stay alive, so I will try to be less silent in the future.

David.
Arioch
**VMF Guru**

Post by Arioch »

Vanessa-Mae isn't very well publicised in England and this is really the only place I ever find news or links to news items. If not for you people I would never have known about the Royal Festival Hall concert last year
Has a fellow Brit I have to agree with the above statement, I have said it
many times before.
Even though Vanessa lives in the UK her PR is non existent so like David
I also rely on our Forum.
Has David said the only way we find out about a Vanessa-Mae concert in
this country is via someone else who is living in another country,
and not to tell a lie we do find out about concerts but it is generally the
day after when somebody says' Did you go to the Vanessa-Mae Concert Last night' :cry:
-----Arioch------
(Lord of Chaos)
------Image-----
www.vanessa-mae.co.uk