Vanessa-Mae's violin microphone

This is the main lobby for Vanessa-Mae related discussions.

Moderator: zeta

foreverred

Vanessa-Mae's violin microphone

Post by foreverred »

Hi there - Rijko and friends - it's been a while since I've been online... but I'm glad to be back.

I noticed Rijko's beautiful pictures of VM's most recent performances commemorating the release of Choreography. In some pictures, she is using her gray/silver Zeta Jazz Fusion violin, but in others, she's using her acoustic...

Can anyone tell me what clip microphone she is using on her acoustic?

Thanks much...
-Omar
www.omarlopez.com
omar@omarlopez.com
Twyla

Post by Twyla »

well i would say its a barcus berry (or however thats spelled) but im not sure
foreverred

Post by foreverred »

Twyla wrote:well i would say its a barcus berry (or however thats spelled) but im not sure
Thanks Twyla. Barcus-Berry, however, is a violin pickup which clamps onto the bridge and generates a very harsh, cruddy tone... VM's is a microphone which rests over the bass side f-hole on her violin and sounds very clean and crisp. I appreciate your help and thanks for responding!

-O
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

Hi Omar,

Welcome back, it is god to hear from you again.

I am very satisfied with the result of my photos: a nice memory of 2 wonderful concerts.

I have no idea what kind of microphones she uses. I never read anything on this.
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

How does it attach, is it with a plastic clip?

I thought it was attached with sticky tape, and I thought that must be bad for the exterior finish on the violin.
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

I have a few photos on my website made at Vanessa-Mae's 'Choreography Tour' concerts in London and Dresden that show reasonable well how the mic is attached to the violin. Just zoom in on Vanessa-Mae's violin. To me it seems to be done with a clip device, but just take a look for yourself.
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

Yes I see now, Rijko. One of your London photos shows it quite well. I have looked at your photos before but I wasn't looking so closely at the violin :wink: