Scottish Fantasia

Anything goes...
Atreides
Veteran

Scottish Fantasia

Post by Atreides »

I cant remeber who was taking about other versions of Scottish Fantasy about 2 years ago ... I think it might have been Arioch ... That person was talking more specifically about the Kyung Wha Chung version and I have had that in the back of my head all that time.... wondering ...

Today I got my hand on the 1972 recording while browsing at the music store and I must say ... WOW.... Thanks to who ever recommended that one....

As far as i m concerned my favorite versions of the piece are:

1 ) Kyung Wha Chung and the Royal Philarmonic (1972).

The orchestra is doing a wonderfull job and the young miss Chung relay gave a wonderfull display of her range. Her playing is not perfect, she did make a few audible mistakes, but the piece sound so natural and unrehursed. Just wonderfull.

2) Midori and the Israel Philarmonic

Like Sarah Chang and Perlman, Midori was a student of Dorothy Delay and in that sense her playing is very predictable, her vibrato are regular and her sound in general is very polished. I think Midori is the queen of soft and expressive playing. The introduction of the first movement will drop you on your ass. She does lack power in the stronger movements.

3) Vanessa-Mae

Even tought it not the most expressive or the most powerfull interpretation I just love VM's sound... I know VM especially affectionate that piece and it shows in her playing.

Anyone else has favorite interpretation of the Scottish fantasy?

Atre.
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

Well, I think I recommended Kyung Wha Chung.

To me, Vanessa-Mae's interpretation is wonderful, simple superb and by far the best I ever heard. I never heard so much expression and emotions in any other version that I know.