Review on Vanessa-Mae's debut recording 'Violin'

Post reviews on concerts, albums, and anything else.
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

I wrote a review on Vanessa-Mae's debut recording 'Violin' The reveiw is available at my website at:

My overall impression starts with the following lines:

Vanessa-Mae debut recording 'Violin' (aka 'Debut) was released in 1991 when she was only just 13 years old and it harbours promising renditions of interesting repertoire consisting of the famous Carmen Fantasy, the less well known violin concerto of Kabalevsky and a violin concerto that was, at that time, generally but falsely attributed to Mozart, as well as a wonderful show piece by Wieniawski. Although already a fan of Vanessa-Mae since 1992, it was not until the end of 2000 that I obtained this debut recording when my dearest friend Daisy Hill from Hong Kong was so kind to buy a copy for me.

Vanessa-Mae's performance on this debut recording breaths the integrity of youthful freshness and the honesty in the pleasure of a young child doing something new and exciting, and this is all is maintained by the fact the recording is not at all over produced. Of course this is also the consequence of the rather low budget that was available for this recording, compared to the sometimes almost unlimited resources that are assigned to arrived artists by the large record companies, a practice Vanessa-Mae herself would benefit too latter in her career when she started working with EMI Records in 1995. It is also interesting to notice that Vanessa-Mae unique style of playing that she showed latter in her career is already recognisable on her debut recording 'Violin.'

For the complete review, see the link on top of this message.
eva03
VMF Elite

Post by eva03 »

Nice review. I would like to see her concert when she was a child.
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

eva,

Me too! It would have been fun and nice to have seen her live in that time.
eva03
VMF Elite

Post by eva03 »

Is there a full length concert performance of a young Vanessa-Mae that was shown in a US morning show?