Butterfly Lovers

This is the main lobby for Vanessa-Mae related discussions.

Moderator: zeta

jintan

Post by jintan »

I am a collector of Butterfly Lovers. In my collections, the best version is undoubtedly by Vanessa-mae. The version by Takako Nishizaki with the Shanghai Conservatory Symphony Orchestra in 1992 is also good. Takako Nishizaki also recorded this piece with the Czecho-Slovak Radio Symphony Orchestra in 1990 and the Nagoya Philharmonic Orchestra in the 1980s; making her the artist with the most number of recording of this concerto. It is interesting to note that since Vanessa-mae's recording in 1997, no other violinists of international standing have recorded Butterfly Lovers. Given her Asian heritage, I was disappointed that Sarah Chang never do this recording. Perhaps, Vanessa-mae has made it difficult for anybody to come out with something better.
Butterfly Lovers (violin), together with Yellow River (piano) are the most famous Chinese concertos, and between the two, I prefer the Butterfly Lovers concerto. These days, I only listen to Vanessa-mae's Butterfly Lovers, and my other collections have become mere display items.
Being a China man, it is rather natural for me to fall in love with this concerto. Whenever I listened to Vanessa-mae's Butterfly Lovers, I felt romance in my heart. It would be interesting to know what other members, especially the non Asian, think of this concerto.
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

Jintan is absolutely right. Butterfly Lovers Violin Concerto is a wonderful piece of music. It is pure romance and ful of love.

Although I have never heard andy other vesrion than Vanessa-Mae's as solo violinist, I still think her interpretation and play will be hard to improve for any other player.

Vanessa-Mae is at her bes, full of expression and emotions. Just listen how Vanessa-Mae plays the lyrical opening theme in the first movement. Also the dialogue in the 2nd act between Vanessa-Mae's violin and the cello is played with such fine subtlety, yet powerful emotion that it makes the listener picture the love ones before him.

BTW, the whole 'Classical Album 2 China Girl' is wonderful cd. It is underestimated by public and media, and perhaps by many fans too.

We have discussed this album so little in this forum!
C.L.U.C.K.

Post by C.L.U.C.K. »

that wuz a very pretty song ^^
<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>사랑*평화*행복</span>
gaven
VMF Reg

Post by gaven »

I herd Butterfly lovers by Vanessa-Mae before I knew who she was, it was Butterfly lovers that drew me to listening to more Vanessa-Mae, And ultimately to becoming a big fan of Vanessa-Mae :bow:
gaven
losthk

Post by losthk »

well...for me being a chinese...i like tht piece too....but i think yelloe river is way too long and boring...butterfly violin concerto'z second half..liek around 11 minutes id boring too...overall..they r good songz....jintan..dont be disappointed tht sarah chang did do it.......it is juss the same way i feel when i found out vm hab never ply saint saen in public or record sum of his pieces...
§ÚªÎ¦º°Õ*sniff sniff*<=vic
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

Hi Gaven,

That is really a nice story. You are the first who became a fan because of music that our Vanessa-Mae did on her 'China Girl' album!!
gaven
VMF Reg

Post by gaven »

Hi Rijko

I am very new to Vanessa-Mae`s music, I herd Butterfly lovers for the first time last year(2002) after upgrading my Stereo ( lots of $ it cost to ) which made music sound so much better than I had herd it before, it was my love of the violin that led me to finding Vanessa-Mae :kiss:

The first time I noticed the Violin was a long time ago (1975) with a band called Pavlovs Dog who only made 2 Albums , and I was amased at the feeling the Violin brought to the songs, I still listen to those Albums today :)
gaven
jintan

Post by jintan »

Yes, a good set brings out the enthusiasm in hearing. And because of its very diversed pitch, Vanessa-mae's Butterfly Lovers is simply wonderful if played on a reasonable sound system. I urge all fans to listen to it in a calm and quiet ambience, and you will certainly be moved by her playing.
Arioch
**VMF Guru**

Post by Arioch »

jintan wrote:Yes, a good set brings out the enthusiasm in hearing. And because of its very diversed pitch, Vanessa-mae's Butterfly Lovers is simply wonderful if played on a reasonable sound system. I urge all fans to listen to it in a calm and quiet ambience, and you will certainly be moved by her playing.
I love to listen to this album whilst lying out
on my bed at night with the lights off.

Just like Vanessa-Maes 4 seasons album, China Girl has to be
one of the most relaxing albums going.
Why?
It is superbly composed, and Vanessa-Mae plays it with so much feel, passion,
and grace.
-----Arioch------
(Lord of Chaos)
------Image-----
www.vanessa-mae.co.uk
paganni

Post by paganni »

I FEEL THAT俞麗拿VERSION IS THE BEST :kiss:
haboek
VMF Elite

Post by haboek »

Paganni,

Now thats a reply I really do not understand. ???
Any comments on it :(
Haboek :smokin:
changing worlds
Site Admin

Post by changing worlds »

haboek wrote:Any comments on it
cellular phone ring tone??
haboek
VMF Elite

Post by haboek »

Joe_mate

That is an option :;):
Haboek :smokin:
gaven
VMF Reg

Post by gaven »

paganni wrote:I FEEL THAT俞麗拿VERSION IS THE BEST :kiss:
:hypnotized: I would like to here the explanation for this one please :laugh:
gaven
jintan

Post by jintan »

Was Paganni having a conversation with the butterflies?