Delphinium Vanessa-Mae

This is the main lobby for Vanessa-Mae related discussions.

Moderator: zeta

Xanthippe

Delphinium Vanessa-Mae

Post by Xanthippe »

Meet Delphinium Vanessa-Mae - see picture below!! Does it refer to our girl Vanessa-Mae? Is this wonderful plant named after our beautiful Vanessa-Mae? I can not find any confirmation yet.

eva03
VMF Elite

Post by eva03 »

I thought Delphinium's the new Vanessa-Mae album title. :lol:

Anyway, it looks like some kind of a wild flower or weed.
wylde8

Post by wylde8 »

I still don't understand the link between VM and this botany club that named the flower. Why would they name it after her?
New Blue Eyes

Post by New Blue Eyes »

This is just a guess, but the botanical club is probably European based. I can't imagine someone would come up with that name out of nowhere. No doubt someone on the committee that named the flower is or is close to a fan of our dearest girl, Vanessa-Mae. Or, they just know of her qualities that complement this flower, or they simply thought her name fit the flower.

NBE
New Blue Eyes, V-M's #1 USA fan!
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

Naming a Delphinium after a celebrity like Vanessa-Mae is certainly not unprecedented. There are more examples of famous people whose names are used to denote a plant or flower, just to honour and recognise the icon role in society of that famous personality.

I suppose this botany club has a commitee that judges these issues when a name is proposed for a new cultivar. Or maybe, if you develop a new cultivar, that iit is entirely your free choice and responsibility how to name it.

In that case, the creator of this species may very well be a firm admirer of our girl Vanessa-Mae!