PRINCESS NO.105, CBA 2000

This is the main lobby for Vanessa-Mae related discussions.

Moderator: zeta

TonyGH05VM
Veteran

PRINCESS NO.105, CBA 2000

Post by TonyGH05VM »

Hello everyone, I share again some images of Vanessa-Mae, they are from her performance at the Classical Brit Awards in 2000.
She played her electric violin! :o There are no recordings on that (I think). There is only one video of her when she plays "Storm" on her acoustic violin...
ImageCBA 2000 V-M by Tony GH, en Flickr

Last edited by TonyGH05VM on Sat May 08, 2021 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Benji
Site Admin

Re: PRINCESS NO.105, CBA 2000

Post by Benji »

I'm confused. She played "Storm" with a few friends (along with an orchestra) on her acoustic violin at the Classical Brit Awards, sooo .. what piece is she playing here?
TonyGH05VM
Veteran

Post by TonyGH05VM »

Benji wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:58 pm I'm confused. She played "Storm" with a few friends (along with an orchestra) on her acoustic violin at the Classical Brit Awards, sooo .. what piece is she playing here?

The same I wonder, apparently there was something else Vanessa-Mae on the CBA that we have not seen, there was also a piece that she played on her electric violin. I will try to find information and maybe a recording about her entire performance at these awards. Although I think (from what I see in the images), that she played "The Devil's Trill", the position of the bow in the first image indicates that they are the first notes of this piece. Also taking into account that if participation was in the year 2000, the single that she interpreted on her performances in previous years was this. (I mean 1999) Also in the video where she plays "Storm" she starts with the orchestra playing this piece, and if we see her performance in MJ and Friends it starts like this.

I hope what I said was understood, :( I am not very good with the english language.
Benji
Site Admin

Post by Benji »

Good guess! The question is .. did she play it live? If not, it's no big deal if you can't find the video for it. I've only seen Vanessa-Mae play The Devil's Trill live once. It was an appearance she did while in the U.S. back in 1999, where she played Bach Street Prelude and The Devil's Trill on her acoustic violin. I used to have a recording of it a long time ago, but I lost it I think. :/
TonyGH05VM
Veteran

Post by TonyGH05VM »

It was probably just playback, whenever she plays The Devil's Trill on her electric violin she made mimics. I think if she had played it live it would have been on his acoustic violin (Like that time you mention, And just as Storm played at these awards) since it is a very difficult piece, And she has said it: in the electric violin it is more difficult to hide or not to make mistakes in these pieces. I've never heard her play The Devil's Trill live ... And even less on her electric violin. :D (Although it is an assumption perhaps it could have been any other piece, But everything indicates that she did play The Devil's Trill) 😅 .
Benji
Site Admin

Post by Benji »

You know what's ironic? She recorded 'The Devil's Trill' on her electric violin:

youtu.be/nXhh5ZnHwck

(fast forward to 6:30)

I was pretty surprised as this could easily pass for an acoustic violin in terms of how it sounds!
TonyGH05VM
Veteran

Post by TonyGH05VM »

Yes, it's really ironic, but if you notice on her album The Original Four Seasons And The Devil's Trill Sonata, the movement the single is based on sounds exactly the same ... In other words, in simple fact, it was not recorded that way but rather the parts of the violin were extracted from the original recording (on her acoustic violin) to do the single.

youtu.be/nHPJuTCI9iA
Min. 1:06
Although there are some parts of the single that I do not hear in this movement, so it is likely that she recorded it on her electric violin.Obviously Zeta violins don't sound like this with amp, so she was able to just record the violin without amp and so it would sound like an acoustic violin.
Again I hope you understood what I said😅