midori live - at 8 pm on schloss albrechtsberg...

Anything goes...
phoenix
Veteran

Post by phoenix »

yesterday was midori on "schloss albrechtsberg", to give a master-concert .her programm was

antonin dvorak, sonatine op. 100
erwin schulhoff sonatine no.2
mozart, sonatine KV 301
richard strauss sonate op.1

she gave also two "plus" pieces because everybody was crazy about it.
after that, i went to her room, nocked on the door and then she came out and i gratulated har and gave her my hand. now i have an autograph from her !!!!! and i'm really glad that she talked to me and she was very friendly to me.
just try to discover the beauty of music !
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

Hey Phoenix, that is a great experience. Midori must be a nice person to have talk to you and give you an autograph when you showed up so unexpectedly at her dressing room.

I suppose sher played very well at the concert??
phoenix
Veteran

Post by phoenix »

yes, she played wonderful. on the second peice she had a problem with her d-string because it has been teared and so she had to go for 2 minutes and we all smiled. :)

i was surprised that she could play so powerful though she was smaller than me and (so) smaller than vanessa.
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

I saw Midori on German television last Friday evening. she played the 3rd movement of the 3rd violin concerto of Bruch.

Actually, Midori played it quiite good, but I am not sure whether her sound is really recognizable as Midori's sound of her own. I have to listen carefully to her recordings to find out.

I found one major setback in Midori's performance. And that is her body language. She shakes so much with her upper body and her face is turned down almost the entire performance. Of course this doesn't influence the quality of her play. I simply find it not nice to watch. It is such a difference with our Vanessa-Mae.
phoenix
Veteran

Post by phoenix »

maybe you're right. vanessas standing is technical very well.
as i saw midori on this concert she moved her body very much
but after some minutes looking at her you'll get on with this well.

btw, today i watched a glenn gould video and was really amused about his playing. his face said much and he moved his hands even when they hadn't to play in the air to conduc something but you don't know what.... :;):
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

Glenn Gould had an awful way of playing the piano: it was ugly to see. But it was really Glenn Gould; you can hear that it is him playing. That made it really impressive. He is one of my favourite piano players.

BYW, did you know that Glenn Glould was always gruming and moaning when he played, even during recording sessions. You can hear it on all his recordings.

Midori is technically a wonderful violinist, but I don't find her performancve nice to see from an aestethic point of view. Obviously she can handle the violin that way, and that makes it alright!!
phoenix
Veteran

Post by phoenix »

yes, of course he's my favourite piano player, too.
as he played something called "elektra" on a show he sang with it.
he did this on some other records, too. is he the only one who sings when he plays ?
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

Maybe there are others who do it, but I don't know about anyone else.

Besides Glenn Gould, Vladimir Horowitz is my favourite pianist. I consider Horowitz as one of the greatest of the past century. Horowitz was scheduled to come to Amsterdam for a concert in the 'Koninklijke Concertgebouw' hall shortly before he died. Horowitz stated once that he found this particular venue acoustically one of the best concert halls in the world.
phoenix
Veteran

Post by phoenix »

that's interesting, i've never heard something he played.
I'll try to find a cd where he plays. maybe there is one in our music library. i'll have a look !
VaguelyWeird

Post by VaguelyWeird »

Being Japanese, Midori is... I'm so proud of her!

Apparently her aunt has this small shop in Osaka, and she visited fairly recently... it's on my list of places to go.

Phoenix! you are so lucky...

Midori moves a lot like yo yo ma and the like... Do you think it's stylistic? or unintentional? When I play, I find myself swaying a bit, but not dipping etc. And you're right, it somewhat detracts from the experience of watching, unless... that's your kind of thing. More the reason to close your eyes and float away...

She made an excellent album with P. Zukerman of the Bach and Vivaldi Two violin Concertos.
phoenix
Veteran

Post by phoenix »

wow ! your lucky, too !
how many times a week do you visit the shop of her aunt ?
i did not know that midori is famous like yo-yo ma and others like that, that new to me.
your opinion to listen to her is really wright, just close your eyes and listen.....and fly away..... :laugh:
is the album with zukerman good ? i've never heard him, although everybody says that he's a great violin player.
do you play violin ? that's super, i do it, too !
when did you start playing ?
VaguelyWeird

Post by VaguelyWeird »

I havent been there yet, but I want to go. I live only a few hours away...

You play? Cool. I have been playing since I was 3 years old... but I am only 18 now.

The album is excellent, as are the performers.
phoenix
Veteran

Post by phoenix »

that's really super for you ! i wish my parents had let me play violin at this age.......
i love japan since i'm ten years old but there was no chance to go there until now. i guess i hve to wait still along time.....
you can be really happy to live in japan !