WARNING! to all Users - Microsoft announcement

Anything goes...
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

Arioch wrote:

Microsoft are urging Windows users to use a third party
I-net browser until a patch has been developed
Now it must be bad?

Are you sure about this? I think you must be talking about the Download.Ject trojan, which infects Web servers. In fact, Microsoft identified the security hole in April and issued a fix for it (so ignore all news reports that say "Microsoft don't know how to fix it yet" )

Microsoft have NEVER told anyone to use another browser. I don't know how these rumours start!

(I work for a company that is a Microsoft partner and does installation, consultancy, and training for Microsoft software so I'm not just making this up :) )
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

Street_Rat wrote:even though they may have exaggerated, ie is still bug ridden.
i tried to remove ie 6 from a windows xp machiene and everytime it was removed, it would automatically go back
so ie is technically an unremovable virus :)
IE isn't just used for surfing the Web, it does a lot "behind the scenes" that is important to how your computer works -- controlling the desktop display, and so on.

So you can't remove it completely because if you did, parts of Windows would stop working!

If you want to use another browser for the Web, go ahead. But IE will still have to be there, whether you like it or not.
Street_Rat
VMF Elite

Post by Street_Rat »

yeh i know, its rather heavily intertwined with normal windows explorer, they are technically one and the same. and yeh ur right, it does a lot to the desktop when active desktops on, (not sure about when its off though)
for all my dislikes against MS, its still an ok operating system, after all its all over 90% of computer users use. they just try to do too much in a rather very simplified package.

u might be right about this possibly linking to the Download.Ject trojan.

well enough from me, off to install the latest slackware linux then continue creating the webpage.
Street_Rat
--> a simple man with a simple wish
Jafo C ! Null
Veteran

Post by Jafo C ! Null »

go to microsoft web site!!! theres the update to secure your pc the name os the virus is Download.Ject

http://www.microsoft.com/security/incid ... _Ject.mspx

jafo!
Jafit González L. MD
flagboy

Post by flagboy »

Use Linux :) that way you're totally immune from all the viruses, worms and trojans which spread thru security holes in M$ software.

Anyway browsers (and email clients) shouldn't execute programs on the client computer without the user's full knowledge and permission, period.