George loses patience with fans

Anything goes...
aventine
Site Admin

Post by aventine »

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>George loses patience with fans</span>

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>Thursday, July 8, 2004 Posted: 1711 GMT</span>

LONDON, England -- George Michael has shut down his Web site chatroom because -- in his words -- fans have been "slagging him off."

And his decision has not gone down well with some supporters who have urged him to change his mind.

The pop superstar writes on his official site that he is upset to see the forums "packed full of negative comment."

Some posters had accused him of looking old and overweight and of not doing enough to promote his new album, "Patience."

Others had complained about the quality of his recent recordings.

In a message posted on the Web site, Michael says: "Hi everybody, this is George.

"I'm afraid that, having visited the forums on a regular basis over the past few months, simply to see how you guys thought the album/interviews/promotion were going, I have decided to close them down.

"As many of you will know, much of my reasoning for the future is to stay away from the negativity of the media, I think that it is bad for me and for music in general, so I find it really sad to see the forums so packed full of negative comment, and that so many genuinely positive fans find themselves defending me (or themselves) constantly against attack. How pointless.

"There are plenty of places to read people slagging each other off, but I wasn't trying to create one in opening the forum. Those of you that want to carry on the media's work will have to do it somewhere else I suppose."

He adds: "Things will stay the same for the next two weeks, so that those of you who have made friendships can decide which other sites to meet at, and then the rooms will close.

"I feel bad for those of you who have always been supportive, but I'm afraid I want nothing to do with the bitching that has evolved between some members, (many members), and perhaps unofficial sites will be a calmer affair.

"Sorry guys, but that's the way it goes... Peace and Love... or nothing at all.

"Love as always. George xx"

One disappointed fan brands the star's decision "ludicrous."

"It's a fans' forum, it's freedom of speech and I don't think it's down to George to take his ball home and say 'I'm not playing any more,'" the fan writes.

"The fact of the matter is that people have opinions and they are entitled to them, that's what a forum is for.

"This just generates more negative press for George and I have to say its a bad move."

Another brands Michael a "control freak" and said: "It smacks of someone unhappy we're not all heaping praise on him at every turn and that's sad. The people who read and contribute to these boards are fans."

And another called Michael's decision an "insult", saying: "He may lose some fans over this. Something he really cannot afford to do."

The majority of messages are supportive of the star -- but beg him to reconsider.

But "GeorgeWham" writes: "All I've seen over the last couple of years are insults upon insults, if I were an artist and my fans had been saying the same things, I think I'd do exactly the same, to shut you all up."
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

Well I can undestand George Michael very well. But probable his career is over the top and going downhill. My impression is that he has had his time. The declining repect in his official forum he receives is a sign of that.

However, a forum at an official site is for showing respect and support for the artist. Of course there is freedom of speech and criticism to some degree should be possible but there are certainly limits. Bad language and personal attacks among fans can simple not be tolerated.

We also wouldn't accept it here in our forum!
SteveUK

Post by SteveUK »

Hi All,

First of all, I have to say that this kind of thing makes me damn angry. :banghead:
Why oh why do critics, the press, and supposed fans of these artists enjoy tearing the once objects of their interest to pieces? George is quite within his rights to close down his forum if he wants to, although personally I think he should stomach any criticism and be more sure of his considerable talent. So what if he looks fat and older..urm, get real guys - he IS older! The man has had a 21 year career the whole of which has been sucessful - it's natural that his appearance is going to change (although I don't think he has aged myself and who said he was fat??). Besides - what the hell has his look got to do with anything? It's about music and the man has just had a number 1 album with 4 singles lifted from it, 3 of which have gone top 10 and another 1 just missing the top 10. For an artist of his age to have singles sucess is remarkable - hardly a career on the skids? Like other musical ledgends of his era (Duran Duran, Depeche Mode, U2 Madonna) he is stil shifting CD's, still having commercial sucess that I'm sure any new band would love to have, and more importantly, still making quality music. If all the public want is somebody to appear on the front of "Smash Hits" looking young and pretty then I pity them. Georges only crime is longevity, and as Gareth Gates and all the other teen acts have and will find out, you can't stay "new" forever and when the public interest wanes, or the girlies move on - your career is over. George had the talent to cross that divide, and still sells more discs than most of your teenibop pap that makes the chart these days. Good luck to you George - and keep making great albums!

One last point guys - how would we on this forum feel about this kind of thing if our Vanessa Mae's fanbase dropped because it was 20 years down the line and she has become fat and lost her looks? EXACTLY - see what I mean? The looks matter not if you are a genuine fan. I see it on this site with some of the posts - the costume and make up come first and the music is commented on second. We all know that VM is a very beautiful lady, but the music comes first, right guys?

:grouphug: georges fans should stick together like we do.....

Steve.
aventine
Site Admin

Post by aventine »

Some good points SteveUK.

I think some fans are nonetheless fascinated with VM's appearance, because let's face it - with celebrities, it's about the whole package. I don't think talking about make up and clothes is neccessarily about beauty in the young and slim sense, it's more about style. Some of VM's younger fanbase may look up to her as an idol - especially those who play the violin, and of course a lot of young people look to celebrities for influences in style.

Anyway, Nigel Kennedy is a bit on the chubby side now a days, but he's still got a unique style... appearance-wise... which I think is worth talking about. And not because his 6 pack should be featured on the latest Smash Hit magazine... :giggle:

But after saying that, I agree 100% it's all about the music first.

I'm not aware of what was being said about George in his website, although I think I heard something about it before. If they were personal attacks on his appearance, then that is just plain rude and I would probably close down my own official message board if it was flooded with abuses like that.
SteveUK

Post by SteveUK »

Exactly Aventine. The music comes first. In fact, in "complete package" terms, George is still a good deal - good songs, great voice, and a smart and well preserved bloke. Six-packs get you nowhere - just ask Peter Andre. As for Vanessa - I agree with you that some younger listeners who may play violin themselves might look to VM in every way for inspiration - both in music and looks. The kind of fan that I refer to is the male kind of fan who suddenly develops a passion for the "I Feel Love" promo video whenever he flicks through his back issues of FHM magazine.... The "fans" who post personal insults on George's website are probably the sort of fans who heard a WHAM! song once on the radio and then thought about downloading Patience, the latest CD, illegally from Kazaa. I would say that George can live without people like this....

One more point folks - can I send my best wishes to another English legend tonight, one Mr David Bowie, following his health scare. Hopefully, he will make a full recovery and be back in business real soon.
:hypno:
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

Absolutely, music certainly comes first. But I see Vanessa-Mae as a complete package: music, personality, character and looks. I think all these aspects are related and influence each other. As an example, character makes a personality and it defines the way you make music and also the way you present yourself physically and verbally.

In my country George Michael is not such a success story anymore the past years. The only times I catched anyting about him in a newspaper or on tv is related to - let's call it so - rather scandulous behaviours and quarrels with others. As far as i iknow, commercial sucesses for him are past times in my country.

However, commercial success is not the same as artistic success and developing new ideas. I know George Michael did great songs in the past, but I am not familiar with his recent work and I can't judge its quality.

Every time an artist develops him or herself in new artistic directions, brings about the question whether the fans will appreciate this and whether it will attract new fans. An artist can easily drift aways from the original fan base as the career develops. This certainly holds for musicians that already have careers for two or more decades.

I didn't check in George Michael's forum to see the nature of the posts that made George close his forum. I suppose he should not be too oversensitive and accept some criticism. An idea might be to set some rules and guidelines for posting of messages. Appointing a few loyal fan to act as moderator could also be a valuable suggestion. By closing his forum, George dissapointed a lot of loyal and dedicated fans who might very well feel harmed by this action.

As we see in this forum too, most of the members are inactive. I guess George Michael's forum saw the same practice. If only a few make a lot of noise with bad language, quarrels and insulting criticism then the whole atmosphere in a forum is ruined. In such a case, others and reasonable fans should bring some order to the chaos and ask for correct behaviour to initiate self-cleaning processes for the group.

As far as Vanessa-Mae is concerned, if I would ever loose my interest in her music and in the person then I would not feel the need or urgency to express negative moods and severe criticism in an official or fans forum. I would simple let it rest and withdraw from the group.

Edited By Rijko Ebens on 1089395639
SteveUK

Post by SteveUK »

I agree with your sentiments, Rijko. :D
Arioch
**VMF Guru**

Post by Arioch »

These people are not fans they are just trouble makers, they probably spend most of their time stuck in bars or night clubs.
These people are just like those idiots who call themselves football fans that attend matches so that they can put a innocent person into hospital.
Nearly all Forums have these postal hooligans, this is why most of Sony's forum features are turned off, all because of these idiots that abuse the rules.
What George Michael should have done instead of closing down the forum is to have appointed a team of Administrators and Moderators to the forum.
Any one not obeying the rules then it's.. Good bye!
-----Arioch------
(Lord of Chaos)
------Image-----
www.vanessa-mae.co.uk