Bond - Who is Bond?!?!?!

Anything goes...
Niccolò Paganini
VMF Reg

Post by Niccolò Paganini »

I was just wondering who Bond is... I never heard of them... but then again I live in Canada... I found out about them on this site.

Where are they from? How old are they? What kind of music do they play? When did they start? All I know there are four of them and that their music is similar to Vanessa-Mae (correct me if I am wrong) I am trying to download their songs from kazaa to see what kind of music they play.

This I know for sure that when all four of them are put together they are not even close to being better than Vanessa-Mae :D
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

Bond is a group of four girls, i think all of them are British. All have a classical musical training behind them. I have no further information on these girls, because I have no interest in them.

The group was founded by Mel Bush in 2000. Mel Bush is Vanessa-Mae's former manger and he selected the girls. Vanessa-Mae and Bush split after Bush started Bond. Probably Vanessa-Mae felt that Bush was trying to copy her success with the Violin Player again and she didn't like this idea. Maybe Vanessa-Mae would have sacked Bush anyway, because she wanted to change her management.

Bond's music starts where Vanessa-Mae was after the Violin Player. Vanessa-Mae could have recorded the Bond cd's if she was maintaining the style of the Violin Player. In stead of this, Vanessa-Mae developed herself further musically. She made complete diverse albums after the Violin Player.

Bush probably felt that there was more commercial success to gain from the Violin Player concept. And when he realised that this was not the concept that Vanessa-Mae was willing to continue in, Mel Bush started a new group for this.
Gatis
VMF Elite

Post by Gatis »

Well want to correct a bit Rijko and tell that two of the girls are from Australia, one is Welsh and one British!
I think that Bond do kind a similar music to Vanessa, but they are still way behind the level as Vanessa have reached!
Gatis
Kevin
VMF Elite

Post by Kevin »

yes bond...2 australians, 2 english...

long story with the aspects of Mike Batt, vanessa, and bond...

Bond formed 99-00 all contestants in Ms. Universe, who formed with their "love of music". hooked up with Batt, and then they were. Their first CD born, is the better of the 2 CD's they've released...this last CD Shine, was very very commercial, and didn't showcase THEM as much as their debut CD did.

bond seems to be a sensitive subject with the members of this forum...

I would recommend that you at least take a listen to their music before you judge them by their image, or the comments of ??? ...others in this forum.
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

Gatis, Kevin,

Thanks for the correction. As I said, I am not familiar with information about the individual members of the group. I just assumed that they were all british.

Anyway, they make music as our Vanessa-Mae did on the Violin Player.

It is of course anyones right to fully exploit this concept commercially and artistically. Their success shows that they have a market.
Niccolò Paganini
VMF Reg

Post by Niccolò Paganini »

Thanx for the info on Bond. :D

I did downloaded their songs... some songs are good... but still not even close to being as good as Vanessa-mae. Are they imitating VM's music style?... Is it Vanessa-mae who first came up with the concept of classical fussion music?

What is the long story with the aspects of Mike Batt, vanessa, and bond if you dont mind me asking
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

Vanessa-Mae was certainly not the first to record famous classical pieces in a modern pop oriented way. In the Nethrlands we had a band Ekseption (in the 70's-80's) and there was also British band of which I have forgotten the name, that recorded classical themes in the 80's including Toccata.

I think Vanessa-Mae was the first individual artist who successfully distinguished herself with this concept of recording classical themes in a modern style. Vanessa-Mae was also the first to name this concept classical acoustic fusion music. The interesting thing is that she departed form this concept and started to record pure pop music and classical music on separate albums again. STC is the first album in this new approach and the year 2003 will bring the first classical album in this line.

I think that this is quite an interesting point. I will post this comment also in the general discussions board.
Jafo C ! Null
Veteran

Post by Jafo C ! Null »

I think bond is not a good group I saw they on TV, they're so commertial . . . The only song I liked is Allegretto from Shine album and Alexander the Great from album born... Victory is not good I think is their "Strong song", in fact i think they need to left Mike Batt songs kind of. . .

PD. Yamaha violins, viola and cello are used by they. . .
Wanna buy a violin. . .USE Zeta USE Quality :D
Wanna hear Heaven music hear my angel Vanessa Mae . . .
Jafit González L. MD
Aubretia

Post by Aubretia »

The world is a funny place...I had never heard of Bond before last night, then tonight I was visiting my uncle and it turns out he recently bought a DVD of one of their concerts and he happened to select it to show off his new DVD player...

The music was pretty nice, but I really do prefer Vanessa-Mae's...probably largely due to the fact that Bond's music doesn't highlight the violin the way Vanessa-Mae's solo playing does (Bond is a string quartet: two violins, a viola, and a cello).

Will I buy their CDs? Probably not...let's just say that my budget only permits me to buy a limited number of CDs each year, and a certain other artist has priority on those funds! :;):
Kevin
VMF Elite

Post by Kevin »

Aubertia - yea, the Live at Royal Albert Hall DVD, not a great show...but it was ok. I have that DVD too.

Jafo - How can you like Allegretto?? Their interpretation of Palladio stinks, that is one of my least favorite on the CD. Also, yamaha instruments are very nice instruments (although I prefer Zeta for its ELECTRICITY to the Yamaha, as well as design, however Zeta isn't my favorite brand)...do you play violin, or do you play yamaha or zeta, or were those comments opinions of others that you've heard?

Paganini - I can't comment on the bond/batt/mae history.
VaguelyWeird

Post by VaguelyWeird »

MMmm.

I was excited when I first heard that "vanessa mae had made bond." I was really disillusioned. Sure, they play o.k. But the music they play doesn't have the depth nor the quality of V-Mae's albums. The song "Oceanic" bears too much resemblance to a song on Disney's Beauty and the Beast Soundtrack. The violin player is actually one of my favorite albums, perhaps because it was what made me "fall in love" with her music... and perhaps because it modified the classical pieces I had grown up with. Bond grows old quickly and is *way* over commercialized... like the Britney Spears of electro classical.

In a way I'm not too surprised (and glad) to learn that Bond hadn't been VMae's idea at all...

On another note, have you heard of Lanny Cordola? It's been a while since I've seen anything by him, but on a very very old album of his, he did an electric guitar version of Mozart's marriage of figaro. It's not bad at all.
daniel
Veteran

Post by daniel »

Niccolò Paganini wrote:I was just wondering who Bond is... I never heard of them... but then again I live in Canada... I found out about them on this site.

Where are they from? How old are they? What kind of music do they play? When did they start? All I know there are four of them and that their music is similar to Vanessa-Mae (correct me if I am wrong) I am trying to download their songs from kazaa to see what kind of music they play.

This I know for sure that when all four of them are put together they are not even close to being better than Vanessa-Mae :D
:( Yes bond, I know..
When I start listen to Vanessa Mae,
my friend tell me, there have another violinist to try.
Okey, I buy Mae VCD 'Red Hot Tour at The Royal Albert Hall'
then buy VCD of bond too.

the result is ;
Mae VCD, I play it everyday for a month
Everytime playing, I found new things in the sound...

But with bond VCD ; its just about 3 mins playing,
I stop it and throw it away....
the next day I blame my friend, what you told me
all they 4 , playing violin with no power, WHAT THEY PLAY ?
all they 4 , cannot compare to just 1/4 of Vanessa Mae

this is my thought !!! :D
devils_trill

Post by devils_trill »

I actually really like Bond, I have both of thier albums and they are both very impressive, two of my aboslute faves. I must say I think there music is slightly further on then the Violin Player, but thats probably to do with the fact that one was made in 1995 the other in 2000.

But I'm not sure who I like more Vanessa-Mae or Bond. Although they are both similiar its like comparing bananas and oragnes both are very different
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

devils_trill,

Since you like Bond so much make me assume that 'The Violin Player' is you favourite Vanessa-Mae album. Am I correct?
devils_trill

Post by devils_trill »

No I like Storm the best. It's a beautiful album, I can't believe it was made at the age Vanessa-Mae was. Its very mature