Database Drive discography prototype - PHP and mysql driven discography

If you have any suggestions for this forum or the website, please post them here!
Forum rules
***PLEASE READ*** The forum software for VM.net has undergone a major upgrade as of November 16th, as the former software is now deprecated and will no longer be supported by the author. All information on the current forum has been transferred over. Please PM Benjamin with any feedback you have, and if you notice any bugs or anything else unusual. Many thanks!!
Atreides
Veteran

Post by Atreides »

Well its been more work to setup my server to run php then actually coding it ... what a shame...

You will find my prototype here:
http://destrier.darkmaster.net:8088/vm/

It is far from great... the code is ugly (could be fited in 2 php files) and my DB very incomplete.

As Arioch suggested a shop link could be added that would list where that CD can be bought...

I dunno if i ll keep working on it since Avantine already has a similar project underway, but it might allow you guys (/gals) to give some additionnal ideas.

BTW. an empty Album or Song search will return the complete DB.

Atre.
Street_Rat
VMF Elite

Post by Street_Rat »

Atreides, there are many good texts out there for settin up php and mysql server, ive found them, but neva read them. i always do things the hard way. and yup, settin up a server with them on is usually harder than writing the php code.

i know where Avantines discog section is, but i wont post anything with out her say so as bits and peices of the site are still under construction and i think she wants to open the lot all at once. im not sure on this so im goin to play it safe.

what you have got there isnt 2 bad.
Street_Rat
--> a simple man with a simple wish
aventine
Site Admin

Post by aventine »

Hey what you've got there is pretty cool - I get what you mean now. Yeah, I think it's not a bad idea at all to have the cat and country and everything searchable like that too.

With the shop link thing, will it be just one shop or several?
Atreides
Veteran

Post by Atreides »

hehehe yea Street_Rat , I m the same, why read the doc when u can just guess it?

The code itself took me less the 2 hours , 3 hours to setup my workstation to run php (apache 2.0 and php4 on win2k aint a good mix). And another 3 hours to reconfigure my linux server, 2 of which where spend resolving bad library dependencies (i hate those).

The code itself realy sux, #### there are 5 html file and 5 php file, this should hold easaly on 2 php and 1 html. But its not to bad for 2 hour work and a first try in php.

For the shop section i was thinking adding a shop link beside each country which take you to a list of links or address to stores that sell that album.

Also adding administration pages that let the admin manage the DB, and report pages for clients to report sighing of CD and stores that sell them...

Atre
Street_Rat
VMF Elite

Post by Street_Rat »

guessing how to put it all together is sooo much fun :)
if u got the time to waste, else its just frustrating.

i have a very basic login script that uses a few php classes i created, if u want it, ill send it to you rather than you creating your own.
its rather very secure (i think so anyway)

atm what u have proposed is a little more advanced than the php section aventine has, but im sure u wont mind if i rip it off, i mean 'borrow it' if it all works out ok. :P
Street_Rat
Atreides
Veteran

Post by Atreides »

hehehe ... no problem ...

I already sent to avantine my DB schema. As for security , well, i was doing back-end on e-commerce systems, so I worked on that kind of stuff aloth.

hummm ... PHP classes ... guess I have to read that chapter :)

Atre.
Street_Rat
VMF Elite

Post by Street_Rat »

php and classes do work together but not very easily.
it took me a few months before i found some examples that helped me do exactly what i wanted.
Street_Rat
Atreides
Veteran

Post by Atreides »

I had nothing to do this morning ... so I took a few minuts to add a shopping / store section on my prototype. I ve added a 'shop' link beside each country in the page that list detailed information for an album, beside each country name.

Maybe I ll add an admin section once I m done washing and waxing my car.

Atre.
aventine
Site Admin

Post by aventine »

Hey that shopping link is a good idea too. We could add to that as people give us links to buy her cd in various countries... :krank: