VM Live in Hong Kong - It's absolutely LIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post reviews on concerts, albums, and anything else.
daisyhill
VMF Reg

Post by daisyhill »

Hi all,

Both Ray and I (and so as many others) had a great nite with Vanessa-Mae today. It was not without problems. The first half of the concert had a bumpy start due to technical hitches. She used a new electric violin (not sure if it is a zeta or not). It is silver in color and she had to step on some electric pedals placed on the front of the stage to switch to different sound effects. Has anyone seen her using this violin before? I almost had a heart failure when this new violin system didn't work and her technical people tried to resolve the problems in the dark. Since I was sitting so close, I could see she was quite furious with the situation too.

Tonite's audience ranged from hand-carried infants to elderlies. The program began at about 8:30pm (half-hour behind schedule). When the audience arrived at 7:30pm, Vanessa and her band were still doing rehearsal. We could hear the music while waiting outside the hall. We finally entered the hall around 8 pm. At about 8:30pm, some people at the back became impatient and started clapping their hands. Her band then appeared and after they have tuned their instruments, Vanessa came on. She looked really gorgeous! Her hair was set in a pony tail but the front part was nicely braided. Very nice on her indeed. And her costume was also great. A red indian top (with bare back) and matching pants. She started the program with Art of War using the acoutic violin but it was a much shorter version. Then she played Deep South. After that, she switched to the silver violin and played Picante. However, due to technical failure, no sound came out of her violin. We could only hear the backup music from the band. She kept stepping on the pedals in the front. Still, no sound. At that moment, I was really sweating for her. The audience, however, had been very nice. She had no choice but to continue playing the soundless violin. The audience clapped their hands to cheer her up, showing their support. While her people was checking on the system, she apologized to the audience and had to reshuffle her program. Obviously, she had to use the acoustic violin instead and played Night Flight and Solace, followed by I'm a Doun. Then she announced that the technical problem might have been solved and she would like to have a go with White Bird. It worked for the intro but didn't for the middle part. Then worked again towards the end. The lady sitting in front of me clapped her hands with excitement when the electric violin finally worked. This violin sounds very differently from her white zeta. The stc tracks, while played on this violin, also had a different sound (or tone). White Bird was followed by Toccata and Fugue and she ended the first half with Storm.

Because of the technical failure, we have heard a lot of her acoustic violin in the first-half. Now, who said that she wasn't good at classical pieces? I can tell you, she is very good on the acoustic, even better than in the recording!!! Her vocal still needs a lot of improvement. The singing intro of I'm a Doun was done quite badly but the violin part was perfect. Storm was also very well played.

The second half began with Love is Only a Game. She has changed her clothings. A shiny silver (or white?) top (also backless) and lace pants. This time, her vocal was much better but the chorus, IMO, needs to be tuned down a bit. The second number is Clear like ice. This one was a great surprise to me. I didn't like this track in the STC and most of the time I just fast-forwarded to the next track. Played live, it was so smooth and mesmerizing. She then played Bach Street Preclude with another guy who used some kitchen utensils to make different sounds. A very funny piece indeed. Hocus Pocus and Aurora were nicely executed. The arrangements were slightly different from the album versions. Then came Embrasse Moi. Again, the chorus was too loud. After so many live concerts, I think Vanessa should have been aware of her own limitations and asked the chorus to tune down. It might be the fault of the guy who controlled the vocal systems too. I dunno. If she wants to sing more, she has to work pretty hard on it. Laughing Buddha was followed by Retro. Then, she bid farewell to everyone with Destiny. When she started the final number, people at the back came to the front. At first I thought they were leaving (cos it was already ten something). But in fact, they were just moving towards the stage and filled up all the aisles. The space between the stage and the first row of seats was fully packed with people. They clapped with her music, giving her great support, and shouting for encores. It was such a touching moment! Our audience loves Vanessa and I could see she was equally moved by our passion for her. I saw big smiles on her face when we showed our love despite of the bumpy start and miscellaneous problems in between. For all of us, she played White Bird Remix with extra enthusiasm. After the first encore, people still refused to go. Still clapping real hard for another encore. We knew she would come out again. We waited patiently. Never stopped clapping. People at the front knocked on the floor of the stage to tell her that we were still here. Even her band was amazed by the sight. After a long while, she reappeared and played Storm for the second time to close the concert.

To sum up, it was not a perfect concert but definitely a great one. Hong Kong is the first stop of her Asian Tour. I hope she and her team would learn from tonite's problems and execute a perfect concert for her fans in Malaysia and Singapore. The stage setting was in fact the STC Tour setting. IMO, the lighting was a bit too dark. And since the left side of the stage was full of electronic systems, she couldn't use much of that part of the stage. I hope she could re-arrange the stage layout a bit to give more attention to the audience on that side. Also, they placed her violins on a table. It took her too much time switching from one violin to another and tuning the violins. The atmosphere was a bit awkward when she switched violins. I have been to some pop concerts. When there was technical failure, the audience would expressed their dissatisfaction openly. But tonite, friends, I saw and felt only affection on the part of the audience.
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

Hi Daisy,

Great to hear that you enjoyed the concert. The fact that so much technical failures took place shows thaty she isn't afraid for that risk. There is no reason to think that she mimes to avoid the risk!!

I saw her use those pedals in Zurich and Berlin also with her white Zeta violin. She can create weird effects with this equipment and the Zeta violin can create different sounds easily.

I think this tour is called the Best of tour to promote the collection album: the program is really about the same as for the Tour for Change concerts.

Did you make any photos during the concert?

Can you say anything on her make-up? Did she had a lot, espacially on her eyes and lips?

Anyway, I am so happy for you to have seen Vanessa-Mae in Hong Kong!!
daisyhill
VMF Reg

Post by daisyhill »

Hi Rijko,

Her makeup was even heavier than yesterday but she really looked great. I like both costumes. I did take pictures but since I was sitting on the left side of the stage and she was on the right side or at the middle most of the time, I'm afraid the photos wouldn't make it. The hall is too dark. When she gave us the encores, she came to the left side. But then, I was so involved in the music and clapping, I forgot to take any pictures :(
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

Taking photos during a concert is difficult indeed. You simply have to be lucky to get a few successful shots since lights are low and she moves a lot, espacially during a pop concert.

I think it is so funny that such a beautiful girl like Vanessa-Mae uses so much make-up, even during demanding concerts in hot and humid concert halls. I have seen it myself during her concerts in Zurich and Berlin last year, but espacially her looks at the Four Seasons concert were memorable. She stood only a few meters away from me and the hall was not so dark because it was a classical concert. The make-up looks so nice on her and it is all done so well that she holds her natural looks.

Daisy, were you able to get a good night rest the past days with the press conference and the concert ahead of you?

Personally, I could hardly get to sleep the night before a Vanessa-Mae concert.
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

One more remark on the patience and courtesy thta the audience showed towards Vanessa-Mae, despite all the technical difficulties. At all her concerts that I have visited, I noticed that the people really like Vanessa-Mae. She is such a warm and nice person and the audience rewards her for that, and of course for the fact that she plays such beautiful music brilliantly on her violins.
Gatis
VMF Elite

Post by Gatis »

WOW thanks for the review Daisy! Does officially they allowed to take pictures there?? I remember from STC concert that some people came on stage and told stuff...like you can't take photos.. can't film..., I wonder maybe that they finally allowed to take pictures??
Actually my thought's are that this is the beauty of the concert, I mean mistakes (not that during the concert there is a bad sound, or vocals are too lough), but when Vanessa have some little mistakes maybe even problems with one of the violins and she should change violins - that really means that the concert is LIVE. It wouldn't be interesting if she comes on stage plays all the tracks perfect just like they are on album. I think that sometimes these little problems turns on the audience, the same was on STC concert in Latvia, when Vanessa had some problems with violin and the technical people came on stage to fix the violin, people were just waiting, but when they fixed the problem and Vanessa played next track audience took it with twice of energy and support!
I don't know these are my thought's about little mistakes.
But I am glad that the concert was great! When I read that kind of reviews I'm feeling that I also was there and had a little peek at the concert...thanks for that feeling Daisy :)
Gatis
daisyhill
VMF Reg

Post by daisyhill »

No Gatis, they kept announcing before the show that unauthorized photography was prohibited. So, I dare not use the flash. When she gave the encores and came closer, I should have used the digital camera and flash (I have finished the film in the other camera). Now, I really regret not doing so. An one-off show is really not enough for fans like us. I said to Ray how I wished I could go to Singapore and Malaysia to see her again and again.

Rijko, I slept for only 4 hours the other nite before the Press Conference. Last nite, only 5 hours! I was so touched by the audience myself and I really liked her postures on the stage. She moved so elegantly with her violin, unlike those "copying machines" who try to imitate her. Hey, a guy jumped onto the stage to shake hands with her when she came back for the first encore! The security immediately asked him to leave.

Yes, I too think that errors are inevitable even for a superstar. I've read that there was power failure in one of Britney's US concert and she had to cut it short. It was really a pity the silver violin didn't function in the beginning. As I said, we could hear some rehearsal while waiting to enter the hall. Obviously, the system worked at that time. So, I suspect some human error made by her team. But well, electronic stuffs are never reliable. They can fail you any time right?

She said "we love you all and good bye" in perfect Mandarin after the last encore. I am so proud of her and all the people in the concert.
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

Photography at concerts is almost always prohibited. At her cocncert in Berlin, I was urged by a German security guy to stop taking photos immediately or I would be removed. Later towards the end of the concert, Vanessa-Mae walked into the audience and she stood at one moment less than 2 meters away from. She noticed that I was making photos, as so many did, and she stood still like she was really posing.

I was taking photos during the sound check the afternoon before the concert in Zurich, summer 2001 - this was an open air concert. A security guy of Vanessa-Mae came to me then to ask me if I could stop because Vanessa-Mae didn't like being photographed during rehearsals. I stopped of course, but I asked the guy if I could take photos during the concert. He replied to me that it was officially forbidden, but that Vanessa-Mae didn't mind as long no flash was used.

I am sure that Vanessa-Mae doesn't mind being photographed by her fans during cocnerts. The use of flash light can of course be very disturbing for an artist.
eva03
VMF Elite

Post by eva03 »

that is a very good review daisyhill!!! thank you very much!!! :D i am very happy people enjoyed it!!!

i have questions:
1.) do you mean vanessa-mae sang "terribly" that night?
2.) was the live Night Flight better that the stc version?
3.) was there a souvenir programme? did you get any new VM merchandise?
daisyhill
VMF Reg

Post by daisyhill »

Hi Eva,

Her vocal was not "terrible" but not that well-trained you know. For I'm a Doun, I had a feeling that she was still kind of frustrated by the technical hitches and since she had to switch to her acoustic and change her program all of a sudden, I think she was a bit upset. There were a lot of VIPs among the audience. Having a bad start must have been quite embarassing for her. However, she sang White Bird a lot better than I had expected. Love is Only a Game and Embrass Moi were average. I would rather have her sing I Feel Love. That one would be easier for her.

As for Night Flight, I preferred the stc version. I think it has something to do with the size of the band.

There was a souvenir program for sale but it is not designed for her Asian Tour. It is the same Tour For Change brochure they have used in Europe. Btw, I have bought an extra copy. If anyone is interested, it is HKD80 (around USD10) plus postage of course. I don't make any profit out of this. When we left the hall and went downstairs, they had a reception table selling her cds. No new merchandise. Her assistant said to me the other day that they were keeping the shipment cost low. So obviously, they didn't want to bring along too many things.
Lorjou
Veteran

Post by Lorjou »

Hi Daisyhill,

Great review - glad you had a good time.

Could I please buy the programme from you? I saw the STC concert twice in England but didn't manage to pick-up a brochure? If you can email me your address (lorjou@yahoo.co.uk) I can send HK dollars to you.

Regards,

Lorjou.
daisyhill
VMF Reg

Post by daisyhill »

Hi Lorjou,

I've just sent you a mail through this forum.

Btw, did she use a silver violin with pedals in the London concerts?
daisyhill
VMF Reg

Post by daisyhill »

Hey guys,

Here's a nice concert picture of VM in a local paper. Click on the plus sign, you'd get a larger one. The caption says she performed professionally despite of technical accidents.
http://www.stareastnet.com/tc/sp/200209 ... 13698.html
In another paper, she said to journalists at an after-the-show party hosted by Rado that HK audience had been patient and understanding. She was very impressed. Yes!!!!

Oh, please come again soon. I'm already missing her!

Now, I have this plan in mind. I'm gonna write her a letter sometime next week, expressing my views on her concert. I'd also give my opinions on the various things I think she could do better in future concerts. Do you guys have any opinions to offer her too? Say, in case of technical hitches like this, what suggestions do you have for her? Anyone?

I have also bought 5 newspapers today with beautiful pictures of her. I'll scan them as soon as I have the time.
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

Hi Daisy,

Thanks for the link; it is a wonderful photo. That is verry nice outfit that is Vanessa-Mae is wearing: I haven't seen it before. Her face also looks rather heavily made up, as you already said so. I like it very much. Vanessa-Mae looks just great, as alsways of course.

I hope to see the scans of the newspapers soon. Do I need to upload them for you. I will do so together with your own concert photos that you have already mailed to me.

Just write her the letter, Daisy. I think she will like it to have such feedback from a good fan.

Just be nice to her; she is a good girl!! Silly of me tyo mention that, I know that you will very nice to our Vanessa-Mae

In my opinion the honesty of Vanessa-Mae towards audience about the technical failures is crucial. There is always a possibility that something will go wrong, no matter all preparations an rehearsels.

Well Daisy, please give our Vanessa-Mae a compliment for her honesty.
Lorjou
Veteran

Post by Lorjou »

Hi Daisy,

thanks for the mail. In the London & Cardiff concerts she used her acoustic and the white Zeta - no silver or transparent violins. She did use some effects pedals but only in Hocus Pocus I think.

Regards,

Lorjou.