Athens 2004

Anything goes...
aventine
Site Admin

Athens 2004

Post by aventine »

I know it's kind of way past now, but since the forum was down during most of the olympics we never had a chance to discuss it here.

So, what were your thoughts on the olympics in Athens? What were your favourite events? How did you think your country went in the 28th olympiad?

The closing ceremony was very good, I can't wait till Beijing 2008. I want to go!

:smokin:
eva03
VMF Elite

Post by eva03 »

i love the opening ceremony!

my favorite events are synchronised swimming and taekwondo. i missed the synchronized swimming. :(
aventine
Site Admin

Post by aventine »

I saw the final of synchronized swimming between Russia & Japan (women's). It was really awesome. I liked the music for Japan's routine... something called Samurai Swords.
haboek
VMF Elite

Post by haboek »

The best thing I remember from the games were the great races from the two Dutch swimmers (Inge de Bruin and Pieter van de Hogeband).
I saw a bit of the track & field competition and a little bit of the rest (I have to work during the day time :( )
I missed the opening due to a very exiting game of snooker I played on that day.
Pity because I missed DJ Tiesto.
Was it any good???
Haboek :smokin:
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

The opening ceremony of the Olympics was nice. The show was an entertaining mix of Greek symbolism and Olympic history. I always like the entrance of the Olympic contenders from all the participating countries.

I didn't listen to DJ Tiesto.
Arioch
**VMF Guru**

Post by Arioch »

For me also the opening, and for the events it has to have been watching
the 2 Russian girls fighting it out for Gold in the pole vaulting, and not
to forget the incredible race and victory of the Japanese girl in the womens
marathon. What an exciting finish, the speed of the American wow!!
-----Arioch------
(Lord of Chaos)
------Image-----
www.vanessa-mae.co.uk
Atreides
Veteran

Post by Atreides »

Ahhh the olympics ... the scam of the century ... I feel bad for the Greeks and Athen. No one probly realy known the true cost of these olympics but its safe to guess its gonna be in excess of 10 billions. I know its a mather of national pride , but damn , when the deficit is a large portion of your country's Gross National Product (GNP) your asking for trouble. Its a 17 days party they are going to be paying for the next 20 years. It has gotten to the point where only the G7 countries (U.S., Canada, Japan, France, Germany, Italy, and the United Kingdom ) can afford to host the games. On that aspect the olympic organisation has failed since it is accessible to only a few.

As for the olympic spirit (sportmaship, honor, respect, peace) ... well ... its questionnable , with the non stop scandals of officials buy off, judges partiality, drug usages. I think the olympic organisation failed on that aspect too.

Its been like that for the last 30 years , and i dont see aloth of good comming out of these games. I think they should be put out of their misery.

Atre.
daniel
Veteran

Post by daniel »

Just watch only 1 match of valleyball women :wink:
between china and japan, great match
aventine
Site Admin

Post by aventine »

Ahhh the olympics ... the scam of the century ... I feel bad for the Greeks and Athen. No one probly realy known the true cost of these olympics but its safe to guess its gonna be in excess of 10 billions. I know its a mather of national pride , but damn , when the deficit is a large portion of your country's Gross National Product (GNP) your asking for trouble. Its a 17 days party they are going to be paying for the next 20 years. It has gotten to the point where only the G7 countries (U.S., Canada, Japan, France, Germany, Italy, and the United Kingdom ) can afford to host the games. On that aspect the olympic organisation has failed since it is accessible to only a few
Well, China is hosting the next round and they are considered one of the leaders of G22...

The fact that more and more nations are participating is also positive. This time we see Iran and Palestine in the games. It was also good to see S. and N. Korea in the opening ceremony walking out together. In a way the Olympics were a 17 day relief from the actual realities of the world.

I saw that pole vault thing with the two Russian women, that was really good. Except it would have been nice if they shook each other's hands or hugged each other afterwards... that woman who won, I didn't even see her acknowledge the runner up! Or maybe they just didn't show that bit since I didn't see it live.

That Japanese woman winning the marathon was awesome. I never would have guessed a Japanese could win an olympic marathon. Actually, Japan has done really well this year.

The best moment for myself personally was the women's cycling pursuit. Katie Mactier broke the WR in the qualifiers, and then less than 15 mins later Sarah Ulmber (NZer) broke the WR. In the finals between Katie and Sarah, Sarah broke the WR again by another 2 or 3 seconds! We all thought she outdid herself in the qualifer! And to think she considered retiring after Sydney 2000 because she thought she had peaked. I was so glad I stayed up till 4.30am watching that one live!

Anyway, just because U.S. got the most medals, doesn't mean they were necessarily the best! See this.

If we used this "alternative medal table", NZ would come out on top! Haha. :wink: