Choreography - Track by Track Review

Post reviews on concerts, albums, and anything else.
Kevin
VMF Elite

Choreography - Track by Track Review

Post by Kevin »

So I have a copy of Choreography, and no its not downloaded or illegally copied. Acquired it the same way I got STC.

When listening to Vanessa’s new CD, you have to approach it from the view of a first time listener of Mae’s work. If you throw out all preconceived notions that this is a “dance� or “pop� disc, then this should be a fairly easy listen.

Sabre Dance – If you like what you saw on the Classical Brits; that was just a preview of what the song REALLY is! It’s a great opener to the CD, full of great orchestration that compliments Vanessa’s violin playing perfectly. *****

Roxanne’s Veil – Reminds me of a Pure Moods CD, it’s a very pretty theme with backing vocals, and harp glis’ in the background, perfect to listen to on a run down the beach. **** ½

Bolero for Violin and Orch. – It’s a Bolero yes, once again Mae chooses perfect orchestration; focusing on brass more than strings in this piece. The theme is very easy to relate to, however versus between the themes seem to be just noted together by Mae, they don’t stand out as something one would remember easy. **

Tango De Los Exilados – Once again Mae’s best performance in this track is when accompanied by the orchestra. Towards the end of the piece you begin to really feel the spirit of the tango, its almost as if Mae is able to state (musically) what she had been trying to do for the first 3minutes of the song (unsuccessfully). *** ½

The Havana Slide – Personally my favorite track of the WHOLE disc, Vanessa steps out of her box of classical music and does a more contemporary Latin groove, one would almost venture to say that her work on Prince’s CD did her well in feeling jazz grooves. However don’t get me wrong, this isn’t JAZZ in the least bit, and Vanessa’s classical styling still prevails in her phrasing (unfortunately). It’s a fun track and a repeat listen I’m sure for everyone. *****

Emeral Tiger – This Asian influenced track is another of my favorites. Vanessa’s playing spans many range of octaves on this cinematic like track. The backing vocals only help Mae in making her musical statement. This is one of the most powerful tracks on the CD; this is easily a favorite amongst “Choreography� listeners. *****

Tribal Gathering – Opens with a beautiful flute solo, and tribal drums. It gets much more heavy and symphonic. **** ½

Sagas Dance – This aboriginal-esque track opens beautifully. I really don’t like Vanessas playing in this tune, she again sounds as if she’s just piecing notes together, and sometimes even off beat (in a final production). However if you can hold out long enough for Vanessa to stop practicing her etudes, and return to the theme then you’ll be fine. The vocals towards the end of this piece are an added bonus. *

Moroccan Roll – A smooth track, and a refreshing breather from Vanessas etude like playing on the last few tracks. *** ½

Handels Minuet – A VERY depressing END to the CD. Beautifully played; but why the last track?! ***
Atreides
Veteran

Post by Atreides »

I have not heard the entire album yet , I ve heard only 5 so far , the ones on the demo disk. I would tend to agree with you, except for Raga's Dance. I would had given it 1/5 the first time i heard it too, but not anymore.

To get that song you need to abstract a little, you need to pull back, dont center your attention on the lead violin , but follow the twingling , curving melodie. Otherwise it does end up sounding like an etude ... make that a Schradieck etude. On the downside I do think her playing was a little lifeless, I think there was aloth of room to play with bow pressure and speed variation on that song and she did not use it.

My personnal note for that song 3/5

Atre
Kevin
VMF Elite

Post by Kevin »

After repeated listening, I still feel the same way about Ragas Dance.

Listening to it from a musician - yea yea so the music does this and that, and its a moderately complex tune, within its inner voicings.

Listening from a non musician - Its confusing.

I still feel the same way basically.
Arioch
**VMF Guru**

Post by Arioch »

Hi Kevin,
Great reveiw but may I correct you with your reveiw for Ragas dance?
Ragas Dance is by India's top movie score composer A.R. Rahman.
Rahman based this on the romantic dance scenes has used in many
Indian/Bollywood movies.
I only mention this because at the start of your reveiw you say "This aboriginal-esque"
-----Arioch------
(Lord of Chaos)
------Image-----
www.vanessa-mae.co.uk
changing worlds
Site Admin

Post by changing worlds »

If I would prefer any song to receive first airplay in the USA, it would be Roxanne's Veil.

My second favorite is Emerald Tiger.

Havana Slide is interesting, but it kind of reminds me of Love is Only a Game (bleh!).
eva03
VMF Elite

Post by eva03 »

Raga's Dance is my most favorite song. I think I am the only one who likes this song very much. :shock:
Xanthippe

Post by Xanthippe »

I like Raga'sDance' too very much. I also find 'Tribal Gathering' and 'Emerald Tiger' very much.

The closing piece 'Minuet' is also very good. Vanessa-Mae's arrangement is sweet and it makes the track an appropriate ending of an interesting and spectacular album.

Basically, this album showcases Vanessa-Mae versatile technical abillities with so much different music. In my opinion there are no weak points in this superb album.

Initially, I had some problems with the Vangelis track 'Roxanne's Veil' because I found it out of line with the other music, but I overcame these reservations. I liked the track itself immediately when I heard it.

As said in my review in the other topic, I consider 'Choreography' as a brilliant album. It shows that Vanessa-Mae develops herself as person and musician. Choreography is a logical continuation of her discography with elemements of tradition, creativity and multi-culturalism.

The fact that she makes an album like 'Choreography' and not some kind of remake of 'The Violin Player' or 'Storm' proofs that she has so much more to offer than an average musician or band.

Vanessa-Mae has every reason to feel proud and good about 'Choreography.'
jintan

Post by jintan »

To appreciate Raga's Dance, one needs to perceive culture - in this instance, Indian culture. I think this is a beautiful piece of work composed by A.R. Rahman and brilliantly performed by Vanessa-mae. There is a parallel between Raga's Dance and Happy Valley (listen to both and you will understand what I am trying to say). Like what Vanessa-mae has done with Happy Valley to the millions of Chinese, she certainly would similarly move all Indians across the world with Raga's Dance. The superb juxtaposition of Indian music pieces and splendid sound of her violin make this an outstanding piece indeed.