Choreography review

Post reviews on concerts, albums, and anything else.
Xanthippe

Choreography review

Post by Xanthippe »

I have a review on Vanessa-Mae's new album 'Choreography' on my website at 'Vanessa-Mae: Saying Power On Strings'

Here is the text paste in this message:

--------------------------

Choreography - review

Overall impression:

Choreography is not only Vanessa-Mae's debut recording on the Sony Classical label, but far most marks her return to the field where classical music is combined with modern influences to a mix that some define with the rather limiting label of 'classical crossover music.' After an explorative outing to pure pop on her most recent album 'Subject To Change,' Vanessa-Mae returns to the style she so successfully defined and explored as no other artist did. 'Choreography' is a sensational multi-cultural journey into dance rhythms from all over the globe. Composers with diverse backgrounds, but all with worldwide fame and acclaim, must be credited for the music on this album. Their compositions are all based on well known dance themes, but are yet very original in their elaboration. All tracks are exciting, surprising and dynamic. Whoever expects an easy listing album will find oneself be disappointed. Who listens to Choreography will find lots of recognition of the basic dance themes, but will also by no doubt be touched by the beautiful violin parts of Vanessa-Mae, the great and overwhelming orchestral movements, and nice, sometimes subtle, sensational or even funny, accompaniment of traditional instruments used for the music from that particular part of the world.

'Choreography' is sensational, dynamic, varied, sensitive, surprising, exciting and a very successful attempt to combine traditional dance music from all over the world into complex modern arrangements that challenges the listener. With 'Choreography, Vanessa-Mae is back in the spotlights where renewing artistic approaches of classical music can attract attention from those to whom performance of classical music only according the original scores is simple not enough.

I would not be surprised if 'Choreography' will also become a huge commercial success.

The artwork

The artwork is not available yet. I only have the cover photos for the album and for the advance listening promo cd. These photos show Vanessa-Mae in a spectacular pose holding her Guadagnini violin above her head. Vanessa-Mae wears in a wonderful red dress and her face is beautifully made up, especially noticeable is the excessive lipstick in matching colour to her dress.

Description of the tracks

1 Sabre Dance - A. Katchkaturian, arr. Tolga Kashif
A wonderful arrangement by Kashif of Katchkaturian's famous composition. Vanessa-Mae performed this piece already live on stage at her openings act of this years 'Classical Brit Awards' gala in the London Royal Albert hall. The piece starts with a beautiful intro with Vanessa-Mae on solo violin. The orchestral accompaniment in the second part is real exciting fireworks that makes this track especially suitable for use in circus and for other events alike.

2 Roxanne's Veil - Vangelis
The second track is a very recognisable, quiet and smooth composition by Vangelis. The supporting instruments are synthesizers and other electronics. With this, Roxanne's Veil is an outsider on this album. However, the basic of the song is modern dance and hence it has its role on the album representing modern dance themes.

3 Bolero for violin and Orchestra - Walter Taieb
This track is based on the well known 'Bolero' theme. This theme is present in the music with drums and orchestral movements. Vanessa-Mae's violin part is beautifully constructed and varied around this theme too. It all becomes exciting as she and the orchestra elaborate beyond the basis theme. An absolute top quality composition.

4 Tango De Los Excilados - Walter Taieb
This song is constructed around familiar Tango ideas in about the same philosophy as the 'Bolero' track. Vanessa-Mae plays wonderfully around the theme as the basis ideas remain present in the orchestral movement.

5 The Havana Slide - Jon Cohen
The Havana Slide is sheer Caribbean joy and excitement. The piece is dynamic and fast showcasing the temperament of that particular part of the world.

6 Emerald Tiger - Bill Whelan
Celtic folk rhythms with voices, drums and orchestral accompaniment, and a violin part of Vanessa-Mae that showcase all her technical skills and expressive power. The song describes as the tribal men make themselves ready for hunting and gather afterwards in celebrating their successful hunt.

7 Tribal Gathering - Walter Taieb & Vanessa-Mae
Tribal Gathering is a very complex composition in which violin, orchestra, voices, drums are used to create an atmosphere of African tribal ceremonial dances to please the gods. It is the most complex piece on the album

8 Raga's Dance - A.R Rahman
Raga's Dance is a composition is which the mystical Asian moods are raised. Fine violin play is constructed around the orchestral movement. Vocals are also used effectively to create the Asian mood.

9 Moroccan Roll - Kad Achouri & jon Cohen
Moroccan Roll uses the violin with drums and voices to successfully express typical Arabic moods and sounds.
10 Handel's Minuet - arr. Vanessa-Mae
Vanessa-Mae's fine arrangement of Handel's Minuet serves as closing piece. It is a peaceful and sweet end of an exciting and spectacular album. Vanessa-Mae showcases her full ability to express the feelings of sweetness, love and emotion.
hu_hviss

Post by hu_hviss »

Thank you for your review Rijko. I haven't had the chance to listen to the album more than once but from what I have heard, I really think this is her best and most sophisticated album to date - even surpassing Storm!. Clearly a departure from her older material and I simply love every track I have heard. Thank you Vanessa-Mae for making me wait for something really worthwhile. :D

I'll buy the album once it's released in Australia but for the moment, I've downloaded all the tracks. lol
aventine
Site Admin

Post by aventine »

hu_hviss wrote:I'll buy the album once it's released in Australia but for the moment, I've downloaded all the tracks. lol
Same here, lol. Excellent review Rijko, thanks!
Rov4ni

Sabre Dance

Post by Rov4ni »

I never watch Sabre Dance video clip on TV or MTV. Why? I'm very disappointed about that (T.T) Answer this!